Did the " custom skins " thing get swept under the rug?

I drive pretty much all the sims now days and as of late I've really become fond of RRE. I have a lot of fun driving this sim. BUT.....what kinda sucks is the lack of liveries available. In GT3 i usually drive the BMW Z4 GT3....and there are only two skins available?

In every other sim , they allow user made , custom skins by the public. Even iracing does this.

So why not here? I searched the forums for this question and it was brought up in 2014 , and nothing has ever happened?

Come on S3....give the people the power to at least paint their own cars. You guys have a brilliant sim here , just needs a little community input I think.

''BUT.....what kinda sucks is the lack of liveries available. In GT3 i usually drive the BMW Z4 GT3....and there are only two skins available?''

RRRE 2-4-2016 10-13-17-694.png
RRRE 2-4-2016 10-13-20-31.png

It's the same issue that is causing a lot of the R3E problems.
Initially, this was never supposed to be a 'hardcore' sim in the first place.
It was meant as the software part of the RaceRoom racing, which is stand-alone sims put up at real-life races, conventions and the like.
And in those instances, there's no need for custom skins, detailed setups, flag rules, endurance races, etc. etc.

After SimBin got bought out, asset-stripped and changed to Sector3, the direction has changed towards a sim rather than a casual racer.
But a lot of the stuff we want changed is hard-coded into the engine so it takes a good long while to get even minor stuff done.
So I'm pretty sure that custom skins will make their entry at some point.
I just don't think it's very high on the list of priorities.

Because of the nature of their licenses, custom skins will be difficult. Even at this moment their skins for the Bentleys are waiting for approval by Bentley. How are R3E going to prevent the use of trademarked content in custom skins?

Also look at Automobilista that is currently pulled from the Steam store because their liveries were too close to the real thing without license, and the forced removal of mods on this forum?

And lawyers are expensive.

''BUT.....what kinda sucks is the lack of liveries available. In GT3 i usually drive the BMW Z4 GT3....and there are only two skins available?''

View attachment 129004 View attachment 129005

Oh what the heck? I have not seen any of those. I must of been looking in the wrong places. Thanks man , I will dig a little deeper and see if I can find those.

As far as community made skins though ( and I understand that writing the code may extremely difficult ).....but as far as personal , custom skins , if a person isn't selling them for a profit ( just like what every other sim community does ) there isn't anything illegal right?

if a person isn't selling them for a profit ( just like what every other sim community does ) there isn't anything illegal right?
Depends.
If it's fictitious, personal skins, then no.
If someone does a skin-mod of an existing series, then yes.
Whether or not the IP holder chooses to do something about it, and how they go about it, is different from series to series.
(See the latest debacle with FOM on the warpath)

Yeah Lars , the thing with the FOM right now is pretty crazy. I'm a big supporter of the Reiza backing and have always stood behind them. Why I donated quite a bit to the AMS sim. It sucks watching them have to go through all that crap. Bunch of really good dudes there.

And I totally get what you're saying about the skins in RRE. It doesn't really matter to me , as I don't race these sims because of the skins , and RRE looks incredible just the way it is. It would be cool to see custom skins one day though. But with or without custom skins won't detour me from driving this sim.

BTW , i found some of the other BMW skins in the adac 2013 I have ( I have the 2014 as well ) and I'm still having a hard time locating a couple of those skins. One in paticular , the #3 Marc VDS racing like in the pic that Peter posted. Top picture in the middle on the right....I don't have that skin and can not seem to find it.

as much as i like custom liverys in sim games, this game has some other important constructon areas... business model/pricing, offline-mode, 900° steering animations, real headmovements, different lcd-displays. everything which a modern-racing simulator should have, imo.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back