Paul Jeffrey

Premium
Hamilton Verstappen Accident.jpg

Hamilton controversially called Max Verstappen a "dickhead" in the drivers room following the podium ceremony, but who was to blame for the early accident between the two?

Hamilton and Verstappen would come together during the Grand Prix this evening, costing the Dutchman a puncture and further valuable ground in the championship race. Despite the controversial nature of the contact between the two drivers race stewards would judge no further action necessary, yet with another unnecessary contact for 20 year-old Verstappen it would be a furious Lewis Hamilton who labelled the Red Bull driver "a dickhead" in the post podium celebration drivers room, leaving many to wonder if a rift between these two top drivers is starting to open in Formula One 2018.

With Hamilton escaping damage from the accident during the race, and the incident being judged 50/50 at best, who do you think was at fault for the incident between Hamilton and Verstappen at this seasons Bahrain Grand Prix?

Let us know in the comments section below!

f you like your motorsport fast and open wheeled, check out the Formula One sub forum and get yourself in on the discussion today!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Last edited:
Verstappen went in fairly deep but Hamilton *could* have backed off more. but both are racing for position and it was important for Lewis not to get stuck behind a car early in the race. Racing incident.

If anyone's to blame it's Verstappen. Hamilton was left nowhere to go.

Edit: Also, keep in mind that even though I don't like Rosberg, when he did what in my opinion was a similar move in Austria nobody had any trouble blaming him.
Opinions may vary, but I think Max went too deep, just like Nico on that occasion.

Verstappen was already ahead in terms of "who's right" the next corner was. Hamilton could have backed of a bit more btut overall this is a racing incident

Incident. Apparently looks like Verstappens "fault" not giving Lewis much room, but look at the video you'll see Lewis had the view and could've avoided the collision, as he wasn't going to win that duel. Both had all 4 wheels inside the white line when contact was made, that's not "nowhere to go".

Verstappen's fault.

While technically he got out of the speed duel slightly - very slightly - ahead of Hamilton, in the sequence before that he obviously failed to gain a really winning momentum. He then had to balance his microscopic speed advantage against the velocity carrying him towards outside of the turn. That worked for the front of his car, but not for his rear end, for Hamilton could not just dematerialise, and so Verstappen almost rolled his rear over Hamiltons front.

At no moment Vertappen had the decisive speed advantage that gave him right of way and a claim over Hamilton that the Brit had to back down. Conclusion: far too aggressive - stubborn - move by Verstappen.

In my book Verstappen by now has formed a solid reputation for misassessments like this. Simply stubborn, and unable to correct - or to admit - a misassessment by him while there still is time. Im only waiting for him causing a real serious mess with injured drivers on track. Dangerous man on track. And that I do not mean as a compliment.

Ironcially, I have seen right this kind of stubborness quite often on the rare occasions I played on a pulbic online server. :D The scene looks like one from an online race to me. LOL.

Verstappen went in fairly deep but Hamilton *could* have backed off more. but both are racing for position and it was important for Lewis not to get stuck behind a car early in the race. Racing incident.
Oh sam my sweet sam....:inlove: you were always so politically correct ! @@
Listen, give me your number, I need a guy for my new local campaign.
Nothing big and can't promise you loads of money but as nice as you are, I'm sure you work pro bono anyway. :)

Oh sam my sweet sam....:inlove: you were always so politically correct ! @@
Listen, give me your number, I need a guy for my new local campaign.
Nothing big and can't promise you loads of money but as nice as you are, I'm sure you work pro bono anyway. :)
Haha yeah, in reflection i'd place the blame more on Verstappen but its 60-40. Don't listen to Bono much and i've gotta pay for these sim's somehow so payment would be mandatory :)

Last edited:
Verstappen thought he was overtaking a slower car and therefore it was clear. he is still has some, (a huge bunch of), experience to gather. Watching the mirrors helps.

Well it's tough to say really. Max pushed Lewis out pretty hard (nothing what Lewis didn't do in the past years) and it was his right because his nose was ahead so it was his corner but if both cars want to do the same thing it always ends up in a collision. Didn't end well for Max this time.
Not really blaming Lewis for the accident, in my opinion it was just a totally dumb move. Max would've dragged him out through the fast chicane anyways so there really was no circumstance (other than ramming Max off lol) to gain that position back with that move. He should've tucked in and tried a counter attack on the small uphill straight.

So my conclusion is, they were both at fault. Max being overly aggressiv (as he tends to be and that's what we love him for lol) and Lewis beeing a bit unwise with trying to do a pointless hold around the outside.

It would seem to me they were both being "Dickheads" overcome by the adrenaline rush. It seems F1 is more of a soap opera these days than it is a race.

• Deleted member 6919

Really this is a race incident, but purely because Verstappen said in a interview Hamilton turned into my rear wheel then I put in for Verstappen for the blame, to be honest Verstappen is very Marquez like (MotoGP), and becomes abit reckless sometimes, Hamilton stood his ground..

By the way MotoGP was awesome again this weekend..

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back