Featured "Dickhead" Verstappen Move - Who's to Blame?

Discussion in 'Formula 1' started by Paul Jeffrey, Apr 8, 2018.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +16,956
    Hamilton Verstappen Accident.jpg
    Hamilton controversially called Max Verstappen a "dickhead" in the drivers room following the podium ceremony, but who was to blame for the early accident between the two?

Hamilton and Verstappen would come together during the Grand Prix this evening, costing the Dutchman a puncture and further valuable ground in the championship race. Despite the controversial nature of the contact between the two drivers race stewards would judge no further action necessary, yet with another unnecessary contact for 20 year-old Verstappen it would be a furious Lewis Hamilton who labelled the Red Bull driver "a dickhead" in the post podium celebration drivers room, leaving many to wonder if a rift between these two top drivers is starting to open in Formula One 2018.

With Hamilton escaping damage from the accident during the race, and the incident being judged 50/50 at best, who do you think was at fault for the incident between Hamilton and Verstappen at this seasons Bahrain Grand Prix?

Let us know in the comments section below!

f you like your motorsport fast and open wheeled, check out the Formula One sub forum and get yourself in on the discussion today!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
    RaceDepartment Twitter
    RaceDepartment Facebook
    RaceDepartment Twitch
    RaceDepartment Instagram

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
    • Haha Haha x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  2. BoogerMac

BoogerMac

Ratings:
    +194
    Racing incident...neither guy backed off, both guys maintained their line.

• Agree Agree x 29
    • Disagree Disagree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  3. samcar304

samcar304
    Premium

Ratings:
    +400
    Verstappen went in fairly deep but Hamilton *could* have backed off more. but both are racing for position and it was important for Lewis not to get stuck behind a car early in the race. Racing incident.

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Disagree Disagree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Diogo Goetz Brand

Diogo Goetz Brand

Ratings:
    +103
    If anyone's to blame it's Verstappen. Hamilton was left nowhere to go.

Edit: Also, keep in mind that even though I don't like Rosberg, when he did what in my opinion was a similar move in Austria nobody had any trouble blaming him.
    Opinions may vary, but I think Max went too deep, just like Nico on that occasion.

• Agree Agree x 29
    • Disagree Disagree x 9
  5. samprince053

samprince053
    Seven Premium

Ratings:
    +105
    Verstappen just didn't leave enough room, simple in my eyes.

• Agree Agree x 27
    • Disagree Disagree x 10
    • Beer Beer x 1
  6. THE-Smike

THE-Smike

Ratings:
    +3
    Verstappen was already ahead in terms of "who's right" the next corner was. Hamilton could have backed of a bit more btut overall this is a racing incident

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Disagree Disagree x 5
    • Haha Haha x 1
  7. theravenousbeast

theravenousbeast

Ratings:
    +104
    Of all the people to put an aggro move he tries it on Hamilton.

A lot to learn, Verstappen has.

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Disagree Disagree x 13
    • Haha Haha x 2
  8. Tberg

Tberg

Ratings:
    +242
    Incident. Apparently looks like Verstappens "fault" not giving Lewis much room, but look at the video you'll see Lewis had the view and could've avoided the collision, as he wasn't going to win that duel. Both had all 4 wheels inside the white line when contact was made, that's not "nowhere to go".

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Disagree Disagree x 9
  9. DnyI

DnyI

Ratings:
    +9
    As in Hamilton is a sore loser and can't handle being overtaken by a slower car in a fair squabble? Verstappen should've known better.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Haha Haha x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 5
  10. The Flying Hun

The Flying Hun

Ratings:
    +18
    Verstappen's fault.

While technically he got out of the speed duel slightly - very slightly - ahead of Hamilton, in the sequence before that he obviously failed to gain a really winning momentum. He then had to balance his microscopic speed advantage against the velocity carrying him towards outside of the turn. That worked for the front of his car, but not for his rear end, for Hamilton could not just dematerialise, and so Verstappen almost rolled his rear over Hamiltons front.

At no moment Vertappen had the decisive speed advantage that gave him right of way and a claim over Hamilton that the Brit had to back down. Conclusion: far too aggressive - stubborn - move by Verstappen.

In my book Verstappen by now has formed a solid reputation for misassessments like this. Simply stubborn, and unable to correct - or to admit - a misassessment by him while there still is time. Im only waiting for him causing a real serious mess with injured drivers on track. Dangerous man on track. And that I do not mean as a compliment.

Ironcially, I have seen right this kind of stubborness quite often on the rare occasions I played on a pulbic online server. :D The scene looks like one from an online race to me. LOL.

• Agree Agree x 14
    • Disagree Disagree x 12
  11. gamer19

gamer19

Ratings:
    +552
    Oh sam my sweet sam....:inlove: you were always so politically correct ! @@
    Listen, give me your number, I need a guy for my new local campaign.
    Nothing big and can't promise you loads of money but as nice as you are, I'm sure you work pro bono anyway. :)

• Haha Haha x 2
    • Beer Beer x 1
  12. samcar304

samcar304
    Premium

Ratings:
    +400
    Haha yeah, in reflection i'd place the blame more on Verstappen but its 60-40. Don't listen to Bono much and i've gotta pay for these sim's somehow so payment would be mandatory :)

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
  13. Hor-hay

Hor-hay

Ratings:
    +66
    I guy can't even put a move on these days wtf. They were side be side, Race incident for sure.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2018
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  14. Bernd Graf

Bernd Graf

Ratings:
    +935
    mod-edit: language

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2018
    • Haha Haha x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. Kakusso

Kakusso

Ratings:
    +192
    Verstappen thought he was overtaking a slower car and therefore it was clear. he is still has some, (a huge bunch of), experience to gather. Watching the mirrors helps.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  16. T04STY

T04STY
    Premium

Ratings:
    +60
    Well it's tough to say really. Max pushed Lewis out pretty hard (nothing what Lewis didn't do in the past years) and it was his right because his nose was ahead so it was his corner but if both cars want to do the same thing it always ends up in a collision. Didn't end well for Max this time.
    Not really blaming Lewis for the accident, in my opinion it was just a totally dumb move. Max would've dragged him out through the fast chicane anyways so there really was no circumstance (other than ramming Max off lol) to gain that position back with that move. He should've tucked in and tried a counter attack on the small uphill straight.

So my conclusion is, they were both at fault. Max being overly aggressiv (as he tends to be and that's what we love him for lol) and Lewis beeing a bit unwise with trying to do a pointless hold around the outside.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  17. AUS_DougII

AUS_DougII

Ratings:
    +30
    Some similar 'dickhead moves' from the past:

• Agree Agree x 15
    • Haha Haha x 3
    • Beer Beer x 1
  18. bsmooth

bsmooth

Ratings:
    +53
    It would seem to me they were both being "Dickheads" overcome by the adrenaline rush. It seems F1 is more of a soap opera these days than it is a race.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Beer Beer x 1
  19. Sean

Sean
    Premium

Ratings:
    +245
    typical hamilton, the dickhead move champion, pot calling the kettle black.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  20. Gopher04

Gopher04
    Premium

Ratings:
    +453
    Really this is a race incident, but purely because Verstappen said in a interview Hamilton turned into my rear wheel then I put in for Verstappen for the blame, to be honest Verstappen is very Marquez like (MotoGP), and becomes abit reckless sometimes, Hamilton stood his ground..

By the way MotoGP was awesome again this weekend..

• Agree Agree x 5
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.