DFGT Users. Your Opinion.

As I said before, if you're a competitive person, don't waste your money on a DFGT......start with a G27.
Time and time again my problem is the brakes......so look at the construction of a G27 or the compatible CSPedals and it's lightyears ahead.
I'll be buying a G27 at xmas, and I bet I slash all my times.
Most of the online set ups have brake bias like 54/46...or 57/43, but I can't use those as my rears snap and spin me, so I have to use say 60/40 which is smooth, but lacks the braking power of 57/43 for example.
If you want immersion buy Shift2, but if you want to drive the hardcore PC sims in a competitive manner, then do yourself a favour and buy a G27.

Don't get me wrong, if you're using a KB or the xbox pad, then a DFGT is a huge leap over those two, especially if you're moreso in it for the fun, but those who want to really test themselves should buy some decent equipment.
With the benefit of hindsight, I would've bought a G27.

Upvote 0
As I said before, if you're a competitive person, don't waste your money on a DFGT......start with a G27.
Time and time again my problem is the brakes......so look at the construction of a G27 or the compatible CSPedals and it's lightyears ahead.
I'll be buying a G27 at xmas, and I bet I slash all my times.
Most of the online set ups have brake bias like 54/46...or 57/43, but I can't use those as my rears snap and spin me, so I have to use say 60/40 which is smooth, but lacks the braking power of 57/43 for example.
If you want immersion buy Shift2, but if you want to drive the hardcore PC sims in a competitive manner, then do yourself a favour and buy a G27.

Don't get me wrong, if you're using a KB or the xbox pad, then a DFGT is a huge leap over those two, especially if you're moreso in it for the fun, but those who want to really test themselves should buy some decent equipment.
With the benefit of hindsight, I would've bought a G27.

You say it yourself though, your main problem is the braking and the different brakebias-settings for that ect., that's exactly my problem too.
But it has nothing to do with the DFGT itself (the wheel) ;)
I expect the CSP to be way ahead of the g27 pedals, so I would end up with a better setup overall compared to G27 (wheel + pedals),
for about the same prize in the end
+ some spare pedals if they are needed^^

Upvote 0
I expect the CSP to be way ahead of the g27 pedals

I think you would actually be quite surprised that isn't really the case. I know people personally that are sponsored by the people who make those pedals and got them free of charge and are choosing to use their G25/27 pedals instead.

Haven't read the entire thread but IMO here is what you need to consider when buying pedals. If you want realism, load cells are by far the way to go. Provides realism and if that is what you are after they will provide it. If all you care about is being fast at the sim, stick to a standard spring/pot setup like the G25/27 pedals. It is much much easier to feel where you are in the pedal throw (in regards to braking) with a spring based pedal. Trust me, I have owned all kinds.

In regards to the DFGT, I have owned in the past a G25, G27, and DFGT. In regards to the wheel only (pedal convo aside) I prefer the DFGT. It may not be as smooth as a new G25/27 but, when I switch from a used G25 to the DFGT I felt no difference whatsoever. There are WAY more buttons on the wheel as well.

That being said, if I were starting anew today knowing what I know, I would go G27, and buy the Bodnar/Perfect Pedal upgrade for the brake. The Bodnar ups the resolution on the pedals so it gives you a smoother performance and better range of motion. And I like the Perfect Pedal because it gives you a good balance between realism and being fast in sim. Sim-Sport.net always keeps those in stock and ships same day (both the pedal and the Bodnar) and ships world-wide.

The reason I said G27 over DFGT is simply because if you do not already have a set of decent pedals, then that is by far the most cost effective way to go about it.

Just my 2 cents...

Upvote 0
Haven't read the entire thread but IMO here is what you need to consider when buying pedals. If you want realism, load cells are by far the way to go. Provides realism and if that is what you are after they will provide it. If all you care about is being fast at the sim, stick to a standard spring/pot setup like the G25/27 pedals. It is much much easier to feel where you are in the pedal throw (in regards to braking) with a spring based pedal. Trust me, I have owned all kinds.

Each to his own, and for sure everyones feelings and opinions differ, but I found the load cell improved my braking markedly, I could achevie far more consistent braking, brake later and improve my times by a noticable amount! The longer throw or the both the clutch and more especially the throttle afforded me more overall control too. G25/7 pedals are very good, even more so considered that they are bundled in with a wheel and shifter combo, but in my humble opinion, Fanatecs CSP's are by far and away MUCH better and in a different league! But like I said at the begining, each to his own :)

Upvote 0
You say it yourself though, your main problem is the braking and the different brakebias-settings for that ect., that's exactly my problem too.
But it has nothing to do with the DFGT itself (the wheel) ;

The wheel is good, though it's hard plastic rather than leather, but anyway, adding G27/CSP to your DFGT can't be a bad thing.
And yes, you gotta love the buttons and Dpad on wheel...

Upvote 0
it gives you a good balance between realism and being fast in sim.

Me..I just want to be as fast as possible without cheating, which to some degree is an interesting concept in racing games as the equipment does seem to make a difference, but my goal is G27 for a few weeks/months and see where I end up, and if I feel those pedals are holding me back, then I'll either mod them or get the CSP and be done with it.

That said, I'll be sticking with whichever combo is the fastest.

Upvote 0
Most of what I have found is not that the pedals don't feel right, it is that what you feel and what happens in game are not the same at times regardless of what you use for pedals. For your braking to be better you have to train your ear and make sure that you have the audio cues set to where you can hear them properly. If you start to hear your tires squeal from over braking, let of the brake slightly. After you have gotten used to the audio cues you will find that you will be able to modulate the brake enough to be quite effective and be able to stop as fast as anyone else.

Brake bias is also important in the car setup. The more front brake you have the less you can do as far as turning until you start to release the brakes. Some tracks it is better to use a technique called trail braking which requires that you be able to turn as well as brake in order to have the faster lap times. You will also find that changing the settings from 100% for the brakes to say 95% or lower for a particular track might allow you to be more precise with your braking.

In almost all situations you don't want to put 100% pressure on the brake pedal as this will surely lock up at least one axle and most likely all tires at once. To help reduce your speed as quickly as possible, you also need to learn proper use of the engine for braking as well. This is why people can run the brake bias as low as 52/48 and still keep the drive axle from locking up. Learn to use the throttle to soften the impact of a gear change when down shifting and this will allow you to stop quicker without losing traction. This is especially important if you use rear wheel drive cars.

Upvote 0
Me..I just want to be as fast as possible without cheating, which to some degree is an interesting concept in racing games as the equipment does seem to make a difference, but my goal is G27 for a few weeks/months and see where I end up, and if I feel those pedals are holding me back, then I'll either mod them or get the CSP and be done with it.

That said, I'll be sticking with whichever combo is the fastest.

G27 In my opinion is your best bet then if you need both a wheel and pedals. If you really just need the pedals search around on eBay and forums and find used G25/27 pedals (same thing) and buy the Bodnar box from SimSport which will allow you to use the pedals as stand alone (without plugging them into a wheel). In fact if speed in sim is what you are after I strongly suggest the Bodnar regardless even if you buy a new G27 complete, as it ups the resolution on the pedals.

Upvote 0
.In fact if speed in sim is what you are after I strongly suggest the Bodnar regardless even if you buy a new G27 complete, as it ups the resolution on the pedals.

Yep.....I'll do whatever it takes to ensure I at least have a proper brake pedal....however, I think I should spend at least a month or so making sure I've squeezed every bit of performance out of the stock G27.
One of the reasons I like the idea of adding CSP's is that I get 3 new pedals, so maybe the accelerator pedal is better as well....only time will tell, and as I said, i'll keep the fastest combo and ebay the rest.

Upvote 0
Most of what I have found is not that the pedals don't feel right,

I dunno Jim.....I find that there's a brake setting that allows me to slam or be subtle with the brakes, and if we're talking Monza on the BMW WTCC, I'm using 60/40+85-90press, which I can tell is locking up at times, however, changing to 58/42 means the car wants to snap spin on me, and I still haven't figured out how to control that little monkey.

Anyway, do you actually have a DFGT, or are you talking theoretically.....if you do, could you tell me what your best time at Monza 07 is in the WTCC BMW?

Upvote 0
I don't own a DFGT I own a DFPro, which is the series just before yours. Pretty much the same thing mechanically speaking. As far as best time, I would have to wait a bit on that as I still need to dig into my wheel and find out why it is locking to the right when I plug it in. Once I get that sorted I will run a few and see what I do.

I would suggest that you also take a look at your setups. From what you are describing, you are losing mechanical grip for some reason on the rear. I would find a way to get more downforce or grip on the rear to help prevent the snap spins on downshift. Also, are you blipping the throttle on downshift? If you are not, you are forcing the engine to over brake the rear axle trying to get the tires to run at the speed the engine wants to run in a short amount of time.

Upvote 0
Go into options and turn up tire squeal to where it is seriously annoying, this might help you figure out when to lift your foot a tad to drop the noise level. If it is already all the way up, turn the rest of the sounds down just to make it to where you can definately hear the tires when you brake too hard or lose traction on the rear.

As far as times, don't worry about times right now till you are able to get your braking worked out. Once you can brake quickly without the snap spin, then start looking at your times. Have you looked at your setup as I suggested to try and add some downforce or grip to the rear of the car to see if that helps you?

Upvote 0
Have you looked at your setup as I suggested to try and add some downforce or grip to the rear of the car to see if that helps you?

Sure, I've dled as many online set ups as I can that claim to be 200xxx, some have higher wing values and different this or that, but I'm slower in ALL of them, my fastest set up is the one I concoct myself, as I think the DFGT's pedals need to be taken into consideration.

Upvote 0
Well my opinion is its not the wheel that makes you faster, its how well you use your wheel makes you faster.

It's not the wheel, it's the pedals, and that's why when ISR reviewed the DFGT they mentioned adding custom pedals as it was obvious no-one can go supa fast with such lightly weighted pedals.
Also, when they reviewed a group test of 5 wheels, the DFGT was virtually the same pace as the G27, but ALL wheels were hooked up to CSPedals, as it's obvious that no-one can go supa fast with DFGT pedals.

As I said, good value for money as a package, and a good wheel to start with, but it seems to me that G27-CSP pedals are a mandatory item for best times.

Upvote 0
It is obvious that you feel that there isn't enough feedback from the pedal itself in order for you to go fast. I am sorry that you feel that way, but I have been able to keep up with the aliens till my concentration falls off with my DFPro and stock pedals. In my opinion it isn't about the weight of the pedal, it is about getting used to what you have. I drive barefoot so that might allow me to feel the pedal better though. If you are not opened minded and keep telling yourself that the pedals are junk and you will never be fast with them, then you are probably correct, you will never be fast with them because you prevent yourself from learning to use them to your best potential.

Sure some of the custom pedals give some stiffer feel to them, some with gradual changes to the stiffness to simulate the feel of building pressure in the brake system, but they are all just things to make you think you are in more control rather than something that actually is going to vary the pressure based on the feedback from the game. The only real difference between the DF pedal set and the custom high dollar ones is that you have a higher resolution available from the higher cost pedals, but that can be overcome with a USB adapter from bondar or what ever the name of that company is.

Oh and btw, one of the fastest drivers here is only using a G25 with the stock pedals.

Upvote 0
TBH David, your focusing TOO much on times, there is ALWAYS somebody faster that you, pedals might give you a tenth or two here and there, but the reality is that one of the fastest drivers I know, makes the same times on a DFGT or G27 or a Fanatec or probably a joypad! Sure like me, he loves quality hardware and the immersion and fun they bring, but they ust wont make you THAT much faster! I would love to develop a set of pedals that could make you 3secs faster.... cant see it tho :)

Chill out and ENJOY the racing, hot lapping is one thing, fastest times and great racing are not always the same thing! :)

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 106 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 139 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 197 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 381 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing