Hi all, I am participating in a design technology project under the context of simulator racing, completing a working prototype that I will test on my sim rig at the end of the project. The focus is on affordable consumer grade equipment, looking at shortfalls in realism and tactile feel in hardware and peripherals. To give you an idea as to the scale of the project I am currently looking at developing an affordable hydraulic brake pedal, however am conducting a survey to see where the community would like to see improved realism. Please complete this survey to help guide the project. I will be posting updates in this thread for those interested.

Thank you very much for your help!

Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/HNMSSCK

Hi all,
This project has still been very much active, and is currently in the prototyping and development stage. I am sourcing the components, and will be documenting the process for anyone wishing to build their own. I will be using Wilwood pedals, and a Joes racing throttle, but am currently unsure as to which clutch system to use. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

Upvote 0
@Shovas Sadly I may not be able to deliver on that here :(. The closest I will get is a full hydraulic system with pressure transducer. What do you think about this floor hinged throttle?
F143838311.jpg

Upvote 0
@Moxley6969 Funnily enough the Ricmotechs are starting to look very much like my design :) I am based in the UK and that pedal is starting to look very expensive to get over here, and such designs are very scarce. Any other ideas? I found some Jamar pedals that look very similar?

Upvote 0
Right. Pedals will either be Jamar and Wilwood or RMD Formula pedals. My main dilemma at the moment is deciding between a sprung loaded Emery Emond style clutch or a Ricmotech style pneumatic clutch.

Upvote 0
I need some assistance! I am using a 7/8 bore clutch slave cylinder however I am unsure which size master cylinder to use for the brake. It will be a single unit. Will 7/8 or 3/4 be more suitable?

Upvote 0
Nevermind, after some calculations and research on travel I have chosen a 3/4" bore master. The pneumatic clutch will use a 5/8" master to reduce the effort in compressing the air inside, as resistance will be provided by a spring or 2 on the pushrod.

Upvote 0
This is cracking along nicely, got the Leo electronics in, ordered slave cylinder and Jamar throttle pedal from the US, and (with many thanks from Heusinkveld, any reps on here?) some support brackets. May move to a dedicated build thread to document the progress with a more appropriate title.

Upvote 0
I envision a brake pedal where the FFB can communicate rotational velocity, vibrations from disc contouring/warping or pad countouring/breakage, brake fade due to overheating, brake lockup, etc. There's lots of information you can get from brakes.

Try turning on brake vibe in a game like AMS/R3E/GTR2/etc and you'll get an idea.

I find brake vibe gives you a whole extra dimension of information already but it's through the wheel. Instead, it would be better if it were through the brakes.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I envision a brake pedal where the FFB can communicate rotational velocity, vibrations from disc contouring/warping or pad countouring/breakage, brake fade due to overheating, brake lockup, etc. There's lots of information you can get from brakes.

Try turning on brake vibe in a game like AMS/R3E/GTR2/etc and you'll get an idea.

I find brake vibe gives you a whole extra dimension of ifnormation already but it's through the wheel. Instead, it would be better if it were through the brakes.
I've been in communications with Svend from Heusinkveld regarding some brackets for my pedals, I may put this idea to him if it's not in development already as this seems beyond my capability and understanding for the moment.

Upvote 0
Well, people with racing experience do not recall any ffb in a brake pedal. So. Very interesting)
Mhm I would say that the Emery Emond hydraulic brake system I have adopted is as far as things have come in terms of replicating brake feel, although higher maintainence than the Heusinkveld solution which is working out to be only a few hundred pounds more for the pros than mine.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 293 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 203 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 199 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 147 7.7%
  • < 5 years