Developing an improvement in sim racing hardware

Discussion in 'Sim Racing Hardware' started by callumjtc, Apr 16, 2018.

1. callumjtc

callumjtc

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all, I am participating in a design technology project under the context of simulator racing, completing a working prototype that I will test on my sim rig at the end of the project. The focus is on affordable consumer grade equipment, looking at shortfalls in realism and tactile feel in hardware and peripherals. To give you an idea as to the scale of the project I am currently looking at developing an affordable hydraulic brake pedal, however am conducting a survey to see where the community would like to see improved realism. Please complete this survey to help guide the project. I will be posting updates in this thread for those interested.

Thank you very much for your help!

Survey: https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/HNMSSCK

2. callumjtc

callumjtc

Ratings:
    +3
    Hi all,
    This project has still been very much active, and is currently in the prototyping and development stage. I am sourcing the components, and will be documenting the process for anyone wishing to build their own. I will be using Wilwood pedals, and a Joes racing throttle, but am currently unsure as to which clutch system to use. Any feedback would be much appreciated.

• Like Like x 1
    • Love Love x 1
  3. Shovas

Shovas
    Premium

Ratings:
    +118
    One day I would like to see a force feedback brake pedal :)

And not the vibration kind like Fanatec pedals.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. callumjtc

callumjtc

Ratings:
    +3
    @Shovas Sadly I may not be able to deliver on that here :(. The closest I will get is a full hydraulic system with pressure transducer. What do you think about this floor hinged throttle?[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Shovas

Shovas
    Premium

Ratings:
    +118
    That's nice. How is the spring mounted? There's so many holes I wonder where it mounts on the back :D

6. Moxley6969

Moxley6969

Ratings:
    +218
    Bottom left, Small Locking Bracket and Screw to lock it in, Small torsion Springs like on the Ricmotech GT1 Pro's.

• Like Like x 1
  7. callumjtc

callumjtc

Ratings:
    +3
    @Moxley6969 Funnily enough the Ricmotechs are starting to look very much like my design :) I am based in the UK and that pedal is starting to look very expensive to get over here, and such designs are very scarce. Any other ideas? I found some Jamar pedals that look very similar?

8. callumjtc

callumjtc

Ratings:
    +3
    Right. Pedals will either be Jamar and Wilwood or RMD Formula pedals. My main dilemma at the moment is deciding between a sprung loaded Emery Emond style clutch or a Ricmotech style pneumatic clutch.

9. callumjtc

callumjtc

Ratings:
    +3
    I need some assistance! I am using a 7/8 bore clutch slave cylinder however I am unsure which size master cylinder to use for the brake. It will be a single unit. Will 7/8 or 3/4 be more suitable?

10. callumjtc

callumjtc

Ratings:
    +3
    Nevermind, after some calculations and research on travel I have chosen a 3/4" bore master. The pneumatic clutch will use a 5/8" master to reduce the effort in compressing the air inside, as resistance will be provided by a spring or 2 on the pushrod.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.