Depth perception

I am having a really hard time when trying to estimate the space between mine and other cars, both in front and to the sides. What looks like I am sniffing the bumper when in cockpit can be in external view on replay be more than a cars length away, quite so when cars come up along side.
Yesterday Martin came up along side the long and reasonably straight, and when I looked right to see where he was I felt that if the seat had been in the wrong side of the car we could have shook hands. On the replay though it more shows like we both are terrified to be to close and both stayed as far away as possible. A lorry, maybe even two could easily been fitted in between us.
I feel like I am turning into Gholum when someone comes close, curling up with my arms around the cars, wheezing "Mine, my precious" and making strange noices.
Is there a way get a more accurate view? Is FoV the answer, I have it at 0,5 now as if higher the track becomes really narrow and I feel that the car won't fit.

I think that FOV definitely has a lot to do with it, since looking at the image on the screen, you're missing a lot of data in the peripheral vision that helps you to judge distances in real life (plus there's other stuff that helps you with that, like small random movements of the head and stuff like that). I'd say you mostly just have to get used to that - you could probably change your FOV to make it better, but then it would be off for the racing (I'm one of those people who believe your FOV should be as close as possible to mathematically correct one, within certain reasonable range - I usually run a bit higher FOV than I should just to see a bit more to the sides).

Also, to be honest, while looking at the screen in replay when it's static, it doesn't really look wrong to me - though it does sometimes "feel" the car is closer than it is while actually driving (but I think I'm getting better at judging the distances even in the race, simply based on experience).

i-kt6P394-X2.png

i-NvWz3TJ-X2.png

i-t5cSD4c-X2.png

(BTW, while it is true that I can sometimes panic when there's cars around me getting too close, this wasn't really the case. I was simply trying to keep my distance and be as predictable as possible to not stress you out too much, especially given that I was trying to be rather cheeky there ;) )

I agree with Martin, it's the FoV which causes this issue. Maybe have a play with that setting and see if you can come up with something that feels the most comfortable for you. Personally, I don't bother with the mathematically correct settings, because they're ridiculous on a single screen and ruins your situational awareness.

I go for an FoV of roughly 45 degrees, which gives a nice compromise for me. I think that's a setting of 0.8x in RaceRoom. I also move my PoV back quite a lot, so that I still get a decent view out the front window without feeling like I'm in a tunnel.

RRRE 2017-07-22 08-59-53-39.png

Last edited:
I think that FOV definitely has a lot to do with it, since looking at the image on the screen, you're missing a lot of data in the peripheral vision that helps you to judge distances in real life (plus there's other stuff that helps you with that, like small random movements of the head and stuff like that). I'd say you mostly just have to get used to that - you could probably change your FOV to make it better, but then it would be off for the racing (I'm one of those people who believe your FOV should be as close as possible to mathematically correct one, within certain reasonable range - I usually run a bit higher FOV than I should just to see a bit more to the sides).

Also, to be honest, while looking at the screen in replay when it's static, it doesn't really look wrong to me - though it does sometimes "feel" the car is closer than it is while actually driving (but I think I'm getting better at judging the distances even in the race, simply based on experience).

i-kt6P394-X2.png

i-NvWz3TJ-X2.png

i-t5cSD4c-X2.png

(BTW, while it is true that I can sometimes panic when there's cars around me getting too close, this wasn't really the case. I was simply trying to keep my distance and be as predictable as possible to not stress you out too much, especially given that I was trying to be rather cheeky there ;) )
You? Cheeky? Nooooo... cheeky's good;) But I am grateful for not putting me into to much pressure, I have mixed feelings going side by side. One is the fear of making a mistake and take not only myself out but you and possible others aswell. On the other side, it is unimaginable exciting and thrilling racing down towards a corner with others around me.
So yes I might feel and see it's closer than it is because of that.

I agree with Martin, it's the FoV which causes this issue. Maybe have a play with that setting and see if you can come up with something that feels the most comfortable for you. Personally, I don't bother with the mathematically correct settings, because they're ridiculous on a single screen and ruins your situational awareness.

I go for an FoV of roughly 45 degrees, which gives a nice compromise for me. I think that's a setting of 0.8x in RaceRoom. I also move my PoV back quite a lot, so that I still get a decent view out the front window without feeling like I'm in a tunnel.

View attachment 202865

I have a makeshift three screen display (2x27" LED's and 32" TV in the middle 5760x1080) so I can see some more of my surroundings even though the scale doesn't match to the sides. No idea what would be the mathematical correct FoV anymore, I let the webpages calculate it for me at the time. I'll try to fiddle about with FoV and see if I can find something comfortable.

Thanks both :)

Personally, I don't bother with the mathematically correct settings, because they're ridiculous on a single screen and ruins your situational awareness.

That's the endless FOV dilemma, yeah. Me, I'd rather see less to the sides (and have cars beside me feel like they're maybe a bit closer than they should be), as long as everything feels rougly right while driving. And if I set my FOV and seating position like you have, I'd constantly feel like I'm driving the car from the back seat :(

And if I set my FOV and seating position like you have, I'd constantly feel like I'm driving the car from the back seat :(

Just like the use of h-box if that's what a car has, I also go for realism with my driving view. That means cockpit view without question, no bumper or dash cams. It also means a generous view of the dash, steering column, etc because that's what I'd see in RL. Many racing cars set the drivers seat farther back than would be considered 'normal' for a road car, to help with weight distribution.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back