Default GTC-65 @ Mont Tremblant 09 - Thu 19th July

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
flyergtc65.jpg

Server name: RACEDEPARTMENT.COM GTL
Class: Default GTC65 cars (Austin Healey/Ferrari 275GTB/Jaguar E-Type Coupe #820/Merc 300SL/Renault Alpine/Shelby GT350)
Track: Mont Tremblant 09 (Download) + Track Fix (Download)

Practice start time: GMT 19.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 19.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 19.30 ( 12 laps)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Practice start time: GMT 20.00 (20 mins)
Qualification start time: GMT 20.20 (single lap)
Race start time: GMT 20.30 ( 12 laps)

Note1: Default Vehicles & skins only.
Note2: Unzip the track fix file into your "GTL\GameData\Locations\MontTremblant09" folder and allow it to overwrite. This contains the fixed gbd files for all 3 tracks contained in the download.

Server password: click here
Racing rules: click here

Entry List:
  1. Stuart Thomson
  2. Hans Sneep
  3. Senad Subasic
  4. Ian Strom
  5. Ilija Brekalo
  6. (Roland Warmenhoven)
  7. Warren Dawes
  8. Andrew Jarnell
  9. Eck Simpson
  10. Jack Smith
  11. Driver
  12. Driver
  13. Driver
  14. Driver
  15. Driver
  16. Driver
  17. Driver
  18. Driver
  19. Driver
  20. Driver
Rules:
This is being held in our Club, using Club Rules, and should be driven in that spirit.

Love the track, you could take many different lines in every other corner.

Was a bit of a wild ride in the Alpine, but had no major drama. Got in the 2:04s in the end, finished in 3rd I think. Was lonely for the most part.

Wanted to take the Jag, but that huge bonnet was very distracting somehow.
Tried the Healey, which was way too light, and the right hand drive bothered me.
Since the other two are muscle cars, I ended up with the Merc for race 2.

Did 2:08 in a couple of practice laps, and had no clue how @Eck Simpson was doing 2:05s in front of me in race 1. But during the race, I found an extra 2-3 seconds.

Was a fun ride, but even lonelier, didn't see anyone for more than half of the race. Still, enjoyed the very heavy steering, braking early, and very progressive input required to keep the car on the road.

Was much slower than the rest though. My apologies to @Warren Dawes for getting in the way early on. Tried to let you through easy, no place for me there, being 2-3 seconds per lap slower.

Thanks to @Stuart Thomson and everyone who showed up, see you next week.

Another entertaining event, I always enjoy mixed car races with lots of different cars on track, especially when the cars vary so much depending on the sections of the track. Also made better by this track, Mont Tremblant had plenty of variety of twisty bits, straights, and tricky braking humps into hairpins.

I was edgy about getting out of bed early for this one since I had lots of problems joining the Server in the E-Type. However, I had no problems at all joining with the GT350 for Race 1. Race 2 proved a different story though. I tried several times to join with the Ferrari, but it kept crashing windows as I was loaded to the track :confused: . After about 3 re-boots, choosing the GT350 again, joining ok, exiting, and selecting the Ferrari, it let me in this time. I have no idea what is going on but it clearly isn't related to a specific car. :(

Anyway, the racing was good fun. I was totally inconsistent in the GT350, somehow managing pole in qualy, but due to mistakes and deteriorating tyres, I steadily dropped back through the pack. Had some good laps with Eck initially, then Roland and Senad till they passed during one of my offs, but had many close laps with Stuart, reviving some of our past battles. Mostly I was just making life hell for Stu with my wagging tail and slight edge in power down the straight. Thanks for the fun Stu. :D
Grats to Ilija, Eck, and Senad for the podium in Race 1.

Race 2 in the Ferrari was veeery different. The car's handling was totally opposite to the GT350 and was quite nice once I got used to it. Sadly, my joining dramas meant I had almost no practice, botched Qualy, and started last. That put me into a fun time battling my way through a swarm of Mercs. Senad, Roland, Jack (in the German Classic) and Hans (in another Italian Thoroughbred) were going surprisingly fast in some places. Had lots of fun with Senad for a few laps, no problem mate, you were dragging that big lumbering Merc along nicely. :thumbsup:

Grats to Eck, Stuart, and Ilija for the podium.

Thanks Stu for organising this one, and thanks to all who joined.

Was some nice races yesterday. I tried all cars before the races and in my opinion healey, ferrari and mercedes were the fastest, with jaguar and ford close behind, and alpine as the slowest on this track. I picked cars nobody else had for both races, just for diversity and it still turned out great.

Race1 was totally lonely, probably due to me making a fast lap with all cars prior to the race made me the one with most practice.
Race2, was defending 2nd position from Eck quite some time, made a mistake which caused all my 4 wheels to go wide, and had to let Eck pass then. He luckily for him still had enough time to pass Stuart for 1st position.

All in all, good fun.
Although sometimes other cars were lagging a bit for me, just slightly unnatural position, wrongly pointed for like tenth of a second or so. Something I rarely/never see happen in rFactor.

Made it just in time, so had to pick a ride quickly. Being familiar with the Alpine and having had a bad day with it on the other version of this track a couple of weeks ago, I opted to try that one again to get reacquainted with the track, so I'd dare to try something trickier for R2.

Again, my performance was far from stellar though:D .. Less spins/mistakes than last time, but still struggling overall. Quite a lonely race while the speed of the guys in front was quite impressive, and Senad for once showed that he can be very quick in other cars than Mini's as well if he wants to:p
No way on earth that I could've kept up with him (in identical cars) last night.:cry:

For R2 I decided to join some others who decided to give the Merc a roll....BAD idea!
Took me a few laps to get used to the handling, and even with Stu kindly uploading his setup, this has to be the worst car I've ever driven in GTL. Not even sure why, but I really couldn't get this thing to go fast.. at all!!
Was even more impressed with Eck's 2:05's in R1 then since I couldn't get under 2:09 in the R2.
Yes I know it's me and not the car, as I was the slowest Merc on the track at some point, and several spins and offs again caused me to have a lonely race. But for the first time for as long as I can remember, I was actually GLAD that it was over...:confused:

The track is a great one though, and I'm happy to see this one fixed as well, but for the Merc, well... I'll probably never drive the SLC again. I'll take the 300SEL over this one any day:thumbsup:

Grats Ilija and Eck and the other guys who made the podiums!
Thanks Stuart, for fixing the track and running this event, CYA next time!

I enjoyed last night, especially as we had another track that responded favourably to the gdb fix.

As that version of the track contains the North, the GP and the Chicaned layouts, we can now move onto that as our "default" version of Mont Tremblant.

Onto the races, I jumped into the Jag to fill out the field for R1, hadn't driven it round here, as I was intending to use the Healey first up. Got within a second or so eventually, but wasn't as happy with the Jag on the short notice. After a pretty decent start, I got a little surprised which cost me quite a few places. Started out on the comeback trail, and ended up behind Warren, which he describes very well. All the places I got close and was faster were followed by places that the Shelby was able to just get enough of a drag to make passing a 50/50 proposition. We went on nose-to-tail for ages until we touched, I waited for Warren who shouted me to go on, so I set off in pursuit of (I think) Senad & Roland. Was closing on an Alpine up ahead on the last lap, but took too much of a liberty up the hill under the bridge on worn tyres, and Warren went through to take the place.

R2 jumped into the Healey, took me a few laps to get used to the lower weight, but was happy enough with second row of the grid. Got a good start and ended up in front going into the first chicane. Eck & Ilija were dicing it out in the Ferrari & Shelby respectively. I never really opened out a gap ahead of Ilija, but I felt pretty comfortable I could stay ahead of him, but in my mirrors Eck looked like he was all over him, waiting to pounce on any mistake, the Ferrari looking stable enough for confidence and having power enough to make an opportunity stick. Soon enough, I heard that V12 instead of the V8, and I saw Eck looming large in the mirror. From then on it was a matter of hanging on and not making any mistakes, which I managed to do until lap 11 when I just drifted a little wide onto a kerb which unsettled me and allowed Eck to get through, and then I could only watch him just drive away to take the (deserved imo) win.

Good night's racing :thumbsup:

My cat and I are on good terms again after Race 2. She has promised never to distract me during a race again. ;)

I found the track/car combo a bit tough to master but never disliking the challenge. Choose the Alpine for Race 1 because it was the most stable for me and a good way to become familar with the track. Had a good start and moved up the pack behind Eck and infront of Senad... doing a fine job for a quarter lap when I went wide off track and took for ever to return.....Senad advanced easily. A long, lonely stretch followed but I see from replay that I was not that far behind the front pack. I kept getting a glimpse of Stew from time to time and I could hear he and Warren over TS. Warren's brakes and tires were fading so I had a challenge. Do not let an Asse beat me on my home soil...even if it was in Quebec.:D To my surprise I did catch up with a faultering Warren with about 2 laps to go and I felt that with the right spot I could make a shot at a pass...in my dreams. On the last lap, going up the hill with the overpass( near the end of the circuit) I went for maximun acceleration hoping to gain momentum to setup a pass somewhere between the last two turns but I did a slow spin out and that was that.

Race 2. Now in the Merc and feeling a little nervous as to why am I here, but with some practice I slowly began to get a feel for her. Had a fair start again and found myself behind Roland for a few laps until he had an off. I see on replay that I cut off Warren on a right-hander, which I was unaware of at the time. Sorry Warren I did not see you and that is why I didn't wait as I should have. I shortly thereafter had an unforced off myself. As it played out I got in a little battle with Roland again, got in Hans's way abit and had a chance at fighting with Senad only to have two more offs with one killing the engine.

Thanks Stew for the event, cheers to all.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back