Dedicated server problems

O

olobley

• olobley

Hi all,
I'm new to the Race 07 scene, but have run dedicated servers for other games in the past.
I frequent another forum, where we're trying to get a group of people more interested in online racing, and figured we'd start where racing did. One of my friends has put together a set of old cars (mid 50's - mid 60's) and a set of British racing tracks, which work absolutely fine in single player. The problems start when we try and run multi player setups.
I've got a couple of hosted servers, so figured it would be a case of just installing steam, adding the maps, running the dedicated server.
After about an hour of messing about and getting fed up of having to constantly log in/out, I bought a second copy of Race 07 on steam to use as a dedicated, dedicated server account.
I add all the cars/tracks to the respective locations in the gamedata folder and they're available on the car filter/event selection.
When clients join however, the 'fun' starts.
I find that I can use the old cars on the tracks shipped with Race 07 without issue, and that I can use the cars shipped with Race 07 on the additional tracks. However, if I try and use the old cars on the additional tracks, the clients get booted with Server <playername> "" mismatch
And they are then greeted with the 'booted as possible cheat' message.
What I don't understand is why I can use the cars and the additional tracks separately but not together.
Am I making any really obvious rooky mistakes?

Thanks in advance.

• olobley

Thanks for the quick reply.
I actually tried both. Launching the dedicated server via steam caused more 'Booted as possible cheat' errors than copying the steam.dll file into the race07 folder and running the Dedicated server from windows explorer. (When launched from steam, it didn't like the old cars at all).
The cars are (I believe - waiting for a friend to come online to confirm) from the GT Legends mod for Race 07.

I note on the dedicated server it creates a folder called Player1 in the My Docs\SimBin\Race 07\Userdata folder, and I've tried changing the 'Report Mismatches' value to no avail.
I also 'discovered' that the server becomes a lot more sensitive if the config folder in the Simbin directory is not called RACE 07 (ie RACE 07 Install 2 etc...)

I'm going to re-download the GTL mod (I found a link here - http://www.virtualr.net/gtl-mod-final-released/ if I'm allowed to post links?) and try that by itself.

Can you recommend a place where I can get tracks that are known to work well with the dedicated server/clients?

• olobley

Thanks again for the quick reply. Will give those a whirl and let you know how I fared.
The one real benefit to running it via Steam, is it's just a case of moving the .gcf files out of the steam dir, restarting & hitting reinstall to get it back to a vanilla install.

• olobley

Looks like it may have been a dicky GTL mod for Race 07 which caused the glitch, although it's odd that I could use the cars/tracks separately but not together...
Thanks for your assistance :)

Just add them to gamedata/teams folder within the race07ds install, exactly as you would if adding them to your game. Note that you can use sim racing manager to manage mods and tracks within the ds as well as in the game. I always find it is best to have only the mods/tracks you need for a particular session installed to avoid conflicts and SRM makes adding and removing them very easy.

Google sim racing manager if you don't already have it

Just add them to gamedata/teams folder within the race07ds install, exactly as you would if adding them to your game. Note that you can use sim racing manager to manage mods and tracks within the ds as well as in the game. I always find it is best to have only the mods/tracks you need for a particular session installed to avoid conflicts and SRM makes adding and removing them very easy.

Google sim racing manager if you don't already have it

I use SRM all the time but didn't know I could use it for DS too, thanks for the tip :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 97 12.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 73 9.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 78 10.0%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 50 6.4%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 108 13.8%