Dedicated Mini / Abarth Skinpack ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stuart Thomson

The Stoat Without Fear ™
Premium
Just a gentle question, what would the interest be in a user based skinpack for the above 2 cars like the Mini skinpack in Evo?

As in - design your own skins like in Evo, and have them appear in GTL (I'd do the finishing off if you couldn't do it yourself) for our sprint races.

Ideally the former, but I know some people don't have the software or indeed the knowledge / skills to do it themselves, so I'd definitely be able to help out where required.

First thing to do is to get the templates (they are on no-grip somewhere) and just have a go to see how you get on with the painting side of things, preferably using the carviewer and x-files, as they are much quicker to use than trying to view the car in-game.

I'll post up the viewer and x-files for Mini & Abarth later on.

I like Paint.net of the free ones, personally.

Go into the Race07 section and read the "Skinning tutorial" thread, as it gives the painting basics, which is all you'll need for now.

The main concept you'll need to grasp is that of "layers".

Well, Hans if people really can't do it, but want a mini, I'll be here to help out.

The minis are pretty simple to skin and don't take much time, and I wouldn't want anyone to miss out if they fancy a personalised mini, so I'll be able to work off suggestions if needed. :good:

Stuart I have a mini already, painted by Eck for the GBsim league a couple of seasons ago, it's already numbered up etc, #21, pretty traditional paint job, how would I get it to you rather than upload to our file section so as not to confuse matters with stray DLs?.

Sam

I'll post the x-files (needed for the carview to work with those cars) later on tonight.
The read me of the x-file (which I just consulted for the authors name for credit when I uploaded it) specifically prohibits it from being mirrored anywhere, so you might have to look for it yourselves, or just drop me a line (so I can, clearly, just redirect you :p ).

I'll do a very quick "how to" on the car viewer later on (I'll use an Evo car, but the theory is absolutely the same).

Quick guide on how to use the CarViewer
  1. Open Carview.exe - a default chassis appears
  2. File -> Open DirectX mesh (*.x) - browse tto where you saved your car X-file
  3. select the "car_name.x" file and click "Open"
  4. The car displays in the window with a default skin
  5. Paint your skin using the normal template
  6. Now a different bit - you need to save your skin - ONLY for Carview purposes - as a *.tga or *.bmp file, in the cars x-file directory, as the correct name of the file - if you save it in the wrong format or with the wrong name, it won't work.
  7. Once it's saved go File -> Refresh Current Texture
  8. Your skin appears on the car
  9. Click and drag the mous over the car model and it will rotate in real time 3D, allowing you to see how your skin works on the car, whether everything lines up properly, without having to fire up the game.

Attachments

• cv2.jpg
    cv2.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 198
  • cv3.jpg
    cv3.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 193
  • cv4.jpg
    cv4.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 207
  • cv5.jpg
    cv5.jpg