Debate: Were FOM Intentionally Ignoring Mercedes in Japan?

Chris

Premium
l1rpyx94crtqepufn931.jpg
The Mercedes F1 team restored balance to the force this weekend as they resumed their domination of Formula One, so you would be forgiven for thinking that you didn't see them in today's Japanese Grand Prix because they were too quick for the cameras, but could there be a more sinister theory to explain the lack of coverage that the silver cars received, or is there an innocent explanation?

Now I love a good conspiracy theory. Admittedly I've never been one for the "US never went to the moon", or "9/11 was an inside job" theories as they're fairly preposterous, however, I do find the general idea of conspiracy theories an intriguing thought. In the world of Formula One where political power plays an equally important role as being quick on the black stuff, it's not uncommon for Formula One teams to go missing on the FOM coverage occasionally after supposedly angering the higher powers, more specifically: One Bernard Charles Ecclestone; CEO of Formula One Management (FOM). You know, those chaps that control the TV direction of each race with the exception of Monaco.

It's no secret that Ecclestone is a close friend of Red Bulls' team principal Christian Horner, and is therefore by extension quite fond of the Austrian outfit as a whole. Red Bull find themselves in a tough situation with regards to which engine manufacturer will supply them with parity engines for the 2016 Formula One season and beyond. Mercedes are refusing to supply them on the grounds that Red Bull could potentially beat them with a Mercedes donkey in the back, Honda are looking like the weakest option and they've burned all of their bridges with Renault. So, Ferrari remains the only realistic chance of the Milton Keynes-based team receiving an engine, and a competitive one at that.

Bernie Ecclestone has already made his views on these new V6 Turbo engines well known along with his views on the Mercedes-era of domination, so when Ecclestone received word that Mercedes were refusing to play ball with Red Bull, it's not entirely implausible to suggest that he directed the FOM cameramen to avoid the silver cars for a large portion of the race, resulting in minimal coverage of their sponsors.

490205506.jpg

The lack of coverage of race leader; Lewis Hamilton is understandable as he had largely trounced the field once he exited turn two on the opening lap, so showing the leader is not much use unless he makes a mistake or is being challenged for position of which neither was the case. However, little was shown of Nico Rosberg who was in a race long battle with the Ferrari of Sebastian Vettel as the pair were separated by less than 2 seconds for the majority of the second and third stints, instead cutting to shots of fans, random women in the team garages, and a lonely Hulkenberg lapping by himself.

Niki Lauda tried to make light of the situation by placing blame on a more innocent occurrence, stating that:
"Maybe the guy who’s running the show today was replaced by somebody else who never did a grand prix transmission, I don’t know. But this we have to find out. But it’s easy, I'll ask Bernie and he will give me for sure an answer."​

Such instances of teams going missing from the TV coverage were seen back in 2012 at the Bahrain grand prix as Force India were mysteriously invisible from the lenses of the cameramen during qualifying. Again, theories arose that they had received minimal coverage as punishment for the team refusing to attend the second free practice session, instead electing to return to their hotel earlier in the evening on safety grounds after being subject to a petrol bomb attack on the previous day.

Do you think Mercedes were intentionally left out of today's Japanese Grand Prix coverage? Or do you think it was nice not getting to see them run away with it yet again?

Last edited:
Personally I disagree. I think they were in quite a close fight, albeit not as close as the one in the mid-pack, but a 1.5 second gap is still very close.

There was no battle really they were around 1.5 - 2 seconds apart for most of the time and with the insane battle we had for 12th (even if there were no points up for grabbing) it made sense to focus on that really. :)
This. 1.5 seconds it sort of close in F1 standards but it still makes for poor TV/entertainment. There were closer fights and overtaking going on in the race.

After years of people complaining that the TV director always ignores good battles down the field it seems a bit unfair to criticise him (or her) for actually covering them. Mercedes get plenty of coverage even just before and after the races so they don't need to follow them around on their own for 60 laps.

Red Bull are a bunch of bad sports and if it wasn't for all the jobs at stake in Milton Keynes I would say stuff them and the sport would be better off without them and their moaning.

Red Bull are a bunch of bad sports and if it wasn't for all the jobs at stake in Milton Keynes I would say stuff them and the sport would be better off without them and their moaning.

Mercedes are the real bad sports. They're too scared of RB to compete on equal terms. At least Ferrari respect their opponents enough to fight on a level playing field

nah,can't see any conspiracy here.I was enjoying the battle for 12th and Alonso's battle with Max.We should see more of these fights in the mid field,and the sponsors for the likes of force india will be pleased,as it will hopefully bring more revenue for them.Lewis was streets ahead and Vettel was not going to catch Rosberg.A conspiracy would involve the cameras following the red car's around,as they are a big favourite of Bernie's.

No doubt the mid field battle was better than the battle for P2, but there were key moments that they missed including Saturday's coverage whereby we saw a complete minimum of the laps set in Q3 by Rosberg and Hamilton.

Mercedes are the real bad sports. They're too scared of RB to compete on equal terms. At least Ferrari respect their opponents enough to fight on a level playing field
As I understand it,Ferrari only want to supply Red Bull with this years engine for next year,so they also are scared of the competition.And according to Niki Louda,merc said yes to supplying Red Bull,but Mr Red Bull never replied.

The Ferrari customer teams might be running the same spec power units as the factory but you just know that the factory boys have a few tweaks up their sleeves. No-way are they on a level playing field in terms of cash or expertise.

As I understand it,Ferrari only want to supply Red Bull with this years engine for next year,so they also are scared of the competition.And according to Niki Louda,merc said yes to supplying Red Bull,but Mr Red Bull never replied.

Also the Merc engine would be a "B spec" engine something that RBR is refusing same with Ferrari. However if I where them I immediately would have said yes. RBR/STR will be better off with a 2015 Rarri or Merc engine anytime over a 2016 Renault or Honda. I'm confident it would put them in front of Williams and the rest if they do a proper job on the chassis as they do most of the time as we have seen in Singapore where power is less relevant.

wouldn't like to see the top teams all with the same engine -- f1 has never done that, and it never should.
that would be like gp1. no thanks.

as for the topic - no, don't think mercedes were being ignored.

Actually, yesterday, a number of us were talking about the same thing during the race.
We saw the Merc and Ferrari's for one lap and then zip!
Spent the next hour plus watching the same set of cars lap after lap who were falling further behind the leaders by the second.
I agree, give them some TV time, but hey, the coverage of the top 4 was pathetic! Could put a lot of people off watching who don't know that much about F1 but like to see the leaders now and again.

This. 1.5 seconds it sort of close in F1 standards but it still makes for poor TV/entertainment. There were closer fights and overtaking going on in the race.
Agree.

Though i think even if the battle was closer they might would not have shown it as much as usual.
Force india wasnt shown in Bahrain in the past.
If Bernie has a problem with someone he finds a way to punish them in "his" way.

He doesnt want to loose RB and TR so he disliked the statement from Mercedes to not give them their engine. To remind them that things that he wants need to be done he minimizes TV footage.... Sounds like a Mr. E. style logical-decision.

Really a shame what F1 has become with this engine formula and when I was Ferrari I would happily supply RedBull with the latest engine. As of now Mercedes is the team to beat, but even if they fail badly, which they have done quite a lot in the past 2 years (like Hungary this year) nobody is there to steal the points from them. This years TR and RB would have cost Mercedes a lot of points and could have brought Ferrari in the picture at least for the drivers championship.

In general the formula is damaging for the sport as only two teams have a good chance of winning. In 2012 Red Bull, Ferrari, Mercedes, McLaren, Lotus and Williams have won races and in case of a mistake free race from Hülkenberg you could have added Force India to the list. All teams were running engines with nearly equal performance and non-manufacturers had to spent a lot less on the engines, so they had more financial ressources developing the chassis.

In the longrun Ferrari and Mercedes will suffer with a general lower interest of the public in F1. In case that happens Mercedes will pull out and we are left with one true manufacturer.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 77 12.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 55 8.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 63 10.2%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 37 6.0%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 91 14.7%