Debate: Should Pirelli Remain in Formula One?

Tyres fail, that's all tyres, they just do, as does any mechanical component. Seriously what do drivers want, never heard anything so ridiculous in 40 years of viewing GP, what next, no hair gell for the driver photos!

@Nick10
This:
matchstickcar1.jpg
:laugh:

Build with matches..

Last edited:
If they degraded the grip even more, so that by the time the tyre got near to the critical level it was totally undriveable, the tyres would get changed before they blew up. Where's the "cliff" gone, he looked like he could go forever on them?

Webber said exactly what we said in here:

http://www.grandprix247.com/2015/08/31/webber-backs-vettel-in-pirelli-blowout-controversy/

“A blowout must not be the penalty for using a tyre for too long,” the outspoken Australian, now racing a Porsche at Le Mans, told Auto Motor und Sport.

“You should be slow, fair enough, but as a driver you need to be confident that the tyre is going to hold together.”

The grip must run out long before the tyre is in danger of blowing up. If it was due to punctures, then fair enough, but that's not what Pirelli pinned this on.

Pirelli are making the tyres that the FIA asked for. This was done because the original Pirelli compounds where making the racing uncompetitive and predictable and to be honest you will never stop tyre blow outs.

Pirelli are making the tyres that the FIA asked for. This was done because the original Pirelli compounds where making the racing uncompetitive and predictable and to be honest you will never stop tyre blow outs.

I don't remember the FIA ever asking them to make tires that can blow up easily. They did ask for tires that have rapidly decreasing grip, though. These things are separate.

I don't remember the FIA ever asking them to make tires that can blow up easily. They did ask for tires that have rapidly decreasing grip, though. These things are separate.

I didn't say they were asked to make tyre that blow out but most of the time there is a reason behind the blow outs

Then we will forever have problems, and no supplier will ever be good enough.
Bridgestone was good enough, Michelin was good enough (apart from that one wekkend at Indy, but even then they took full blame and solved the issue), Goodyear was good enough.
Tyres should be made to be predictable, it's unacceptable for a tyre to explode out of the blue. It should pass the unusable grip levels long before it blows.
Suspension failures are really, really rare, gearbox and engine failures have pretty much no effect on driver safety, and even brake failures rarely do.
When you have a tyre company supplying tyres to the most technologically advanced category of motorsport, the least you would expect is for their tyres not to blow out of nowhere, but for Pirelli that just seems like too much to ask.

Bridgestone was good enough,
And still it exploded now and then, the most famous might be Hakkinens high speed accident at Hockenheim. Where Bridgestone's conclusion was "there can be several reasons, but there are no evidence pointing in any direction" - basically we don't know.

Michelin was good enough (apart from that one wekkend at Indy, but even then they took full blame and solved the issue)
And thus, Spa 2004 is just forgotten, and the also US 2004. 2005 wasn't the first time random blowouts happened with Michelins.

Goodyear was good enough.
Remember Schumacher at Suzuka?

Tyres should be made to be predictable, it's unacceptable for a tyre to explode out of the blue. It should pass the unusable grip levels long before it blows.
Suspension failures are really, really rare, gearbox and engine failures have pretty much no effect on driver safety, and even brake failures rarely do.
When you have a tyre company supplying tyres to the most technologically advanced category of motorsport, the least you would expect is for their tyres not to blow out of nowhere, but for Pirelli that just seems like too much to ask.

I agree with that, but at the same time, every single part in F1 is made to last as long as possible, or at least one race weekend. You make things to last.

The tyres is not made to last. They are trying to engineer something that will break down, that will loose grip. Pirelli is not trying to make tyres that lasts for a good while.

And, have anyone actually bothered to look through the footage, to see if Vettel and Rosberg's claims of "not going off the track" is true? I don't know about Rosberg, but I know that Vettel did not stay inside the white lines at all times, as usual.

Before, when guys went off, there was gravel, and other things that often meant that they went into the pit after being off the track, and then also changing tyres, now, that won't happen. And tyres are made to sustain the punishment on the track, and to a degree getting up on the kerbs from the track, however, when you often go off the track, and you punish the tyres by going from off track, over the kerb the "wrong way" and back on to the track, then I don't think you can blame anyone but yourself.

If they had actually stayed on the track at all times, I would've been more inclined to agree with Vettel and Rosberg, but as long as the don't. And people seem to forget every other tyre company that had failures, and jump on the bash-Pirelli train, just because the drivers say so.

I am looking forward to Pirelli's report though!

Now if Pirelli were to offer two tyres to each team. Tyre 1 is super quick but you will go thru a few sets and if you push it to far may lead to consequences and tyre 2 super slow but will go all the way, Every team, driver, and fan would want the faster tyre to be used

Now if Pirelli were to offer two tyres to each team. Tyre 1 is super quick but you will go thru a few sets and if you push it to far may lead to consequences and tyre 2 super slow but will go all the way, Every team, driver, and fan would want the faster tyre to be used
It would depend on the difference. If Tyre 1 lasts 10 laps and is less than 2 seconds faster some teams and drivers would select 2.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back