Skins DDS export filter/plugin/setting for Photoshop CC 2018

Please can you help. Nvidia DDS export filter stopped working about a week ago now get "plugin failed to load" so I switched to intel texture works but apparently this is producing larger files (lets call it constructive criticism) than necessary. There aren't as many options on this as the Nvidia tools and it doesn't have things such as "dxt1" "dxt5" that I keep seeing in various places.

So 1) what DDS filters do people use?
2) what settings to use for export of skins, maps, tires, etc?

Thanks

I'm assuming you've tried reinstalling the plugin? Unless a new update has come out in the last week and my Photoshop hasn't self updated yet, the plugin still works for me; I was working on a personal Alfa 33 skin on Friday.

I'm assuming you've tried reinstalling the plugin? Unless a new update has come out in the last week and my Photoshop hasn't self updated yet, the plugin still works for me; I was working on a personal Alfa 33 skin on Friday.
Yep tried reinstalling it.

Just looking at the intel documentation apparently it supports newer standards than the Nvidia one (last updated a few years ago) so in theory should give a better result.

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intel-texture-works-plugin
It gives the equivalent 'dxt level' on that page. I've been using the "BC7 RGBA 8BPP Fine Compression" setting which is apparently the best compression for dx11+ level hardware so that should be good. I think the "constructive criticism" was that my map file was also done on the same setting and I thought they needed to be the same size as the texture file - lesson learned! Also that the DDS files couldn't be opened in PS but if they're running the older Nvidia plugin and I'm using a newer method then that explains that issue.

So I think I'll stick with the intel one. I'll do a file size comparison between them when I get chance

:)

Also that the DDS files couldn't be opened in PS but if they're running the older Nvidia plugin and I'm using a newer method then that explains that issue.

At first I thought you meant that you couldn't open the 'Intel' DDS files in Photoshop, but I gather you just mean that someone using the Nvidia tools can't open it, but someone using the Intel tools can, correct? As it safe to assume that the Intel tool can open all of the various permutations that the Nvidia tool exports? I should probably make the switch to the Intel one, if nothing else than for the later support.

Does the newer BCN format work properly in AC, or does it still require a DXT equivalent?

At first I thought you meant that you couldn't open the 'Intel' DDS files in Photoshop, but I gather you just mean that someone using the Nvidia tools can't open it, but someone using the Intel tools can, correct? As it safe to assume that the Intel tool can open all of the various permutations that the Nvidia tool exports? I should probably make the switch to the Intel one, if nothing else than for the later support.

Does the newer BCN format work properly in AC, or does it still require a DXT equivalent?
It seems to work for me and also other people have not had issues. However there is one that has said it just loaded a white car so may be causing some issues. I think I must have been using the wrong settings on the nVidia one at least as the file sizes were massive in comparison to the intel one:
40113880511_bbc2b468fe_o.jpg

left is my original one from nvidia. middle is the same psd exported at BC7 (fine, dx11+) and the right is at BC3 (DX10, DXT5 equivalent). As there's no saving on file size I will use between BC7 and BC3 I will use BC3 from now on for max compatibility!

Still as I say I'm still learning and have only been making skins for a couple of weeks now... another lesson learned! :laugh:

I'll update once the person who had issues has tried it at BC3 - I'll release a new version of my #29 Audi shortly.

For me too. And i don't see so big difference in the file sizes, even with all mipmaps included (2k skin from screenshots above)
Nvidia DXT5 vs Intel BC3
hz7Xepg.jpg

P.S. i have one more dds plugin (use it on my Mac) and images looks the same as created with Nvidia plugin. I not have tested Win version of this

Last edited:
For me too. And i don't see so big difference in the file sizes, even with all mipmaps included (2k skin from screenshots above)
Nvidia DXT5 vs Intel BC3
hz7Xepg.jpg

P.S. i have one more dds plugin (use it on my Mac) and images looks the same as created with Nvidia plugin. I not have tested Win version of this
Hmm interesting the bc3 one looks fine from what I can see on mine. Tested in both cm showroom and normal showroom but not on track. Colours come out as expected. Were you using the srgb one or the 'linear' one on intel. I used the linear one.

As for file size I must have used some uncompressed format on the Nvidia one before by mistake

Nvidia DXT5 vs Intel BC3
hz7Xepg.jpg

Yep it's the srgb setting you used... Uses different gamma and makes it dark. Will put up 2 comparison screens shortly. Use the linear one and it looks right :)

If the Nvidia one is working for you then may as well stick with it but if it breaks then at least we know the intel one works as well. I haven't tried any of the other settings yet there are ones for not using alpha.

On a side note I'm happy with the new map file I made. Came up with a structured way to get the different parts different levels of gloss/matte.
With regards to the map file, can someone tell me I've seen some black and or purple in map files... What effect does that give? I know green is for matte paint.

Now I've figured that all out next on my list is how to make decent looking tires! :)

On a side note I'm happy with the new map file I made. Came up with a structured way to get the different parts different levels of gloss/matte.
With regards to the map file, can someone tell me I've seen some black and or purple in map files... What effect does that give? I know green is for matte paint.

Have a look through this post on the official forums. Each channel (Red, Green, Blue) controls a different part of the effect. Takes some experimentation to get the exact look you want, but this info should guide you :)

There must be a problem with your NV export then. AFAIK a 2K file with mip-maps under DXT5 will always be more than 4MB. Exactly 4MB for the 2048x2048 with alpha, plus 1MB for the 1024x1024 mip + 0.33MB for the remaining small mips.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 362 15.8%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 254 11.1%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 245 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 181 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 303 13.2%