DD wheels : so few options, such a difficulty to choose

I am about to buy a DD wheel and I passed quite some time searching about what the market has to offer.

I want to share my thoughts with the community hoping to get some feedback on the validity of my conclusions(at least the non subjective ones).
In plus, other members that are currently on the same boat may share their thoughts/findings on the matter.

Simagic M10 : - not interested

I didn’t like the reviews

OSW : - not interested

Not an option for someone with terrible DIY skills like me

Accuforce Pro V2 : -not interested

+good reviews

+good user feedback(especially for the software)

-stepping motor

-170 euros the shipping cost to Europe

-unknown custom fees as I had no reply from the custom office of the country I live

VRS Directforce Pro : - still considering as an option

+Barry’s statement : ‘I could be happy if this would be my only wheel’

+impressive feedback from rally drivers and visitors of SimRacing Expo

+200 euros cheaper than DD1 and SC2

-I will be an early adopter

-sent an email asking for the weight of the base as well as for the availability and had no response

-limited community of users to share experiences with

-unknown games support

-lost in the steering wheels options as I cannot identify which is the cheapest rim that will do the job*

Fanatec DD1 : - still considering as an option

+large community of users

+fanatec wheels ecosystem

+realtively cheaper than SC2 as the cost of a decent wheel is lower(a 300 euros BMW GT2 wheel can do the job*)

+available

+easy to sell if I ever decide to

-QR flex

-I don’t trust their quality control and their software

-I doubt if my GT Omega Art Cockpit can handle the 10kg of weight and the forces produced by the base**

Simucube 2 Sport : - still considering as an option

+seems to be the most reliable base

+seems to offer the best driving experience

+weights 2kg less than the DD1 and it may be manageable by my cockpit

-lost in the steering wheels options as I cannot identify which is the cheapest rim that will do the job*. I think that the minimum you need is 400 euros but again the price/quality ratio is not so clear as with Fanatec wheels.

-usb cable on the wheel(in my price range)

-unavailable

*I don’t want a fancy rim with an lcd display and many functions. I just want a wheel with a basic button box+basic paddle shifters. By ‘doing the job’ I mean finding a rim that can handle the FFB of the base with no flex. That's my only concern.

**during my research I realized that i will most probably ave to upgrade my cockpit. It will be good though to do the upgrade in 6 months time. I will be hapy if my current rig can serve me till then.

I'm going to put this out as a public service announcement, just in case.

The SimuCube people were clever with their design for the bolt pattern on their wheel connectors. If you rotate the adapter plate one hole at a time, you will eventually find an orientation where you match both the bolt pattern of your wheel AND the holes line up so the quick release orientation is straight up/down so all wheels have the same 0 degree point.

I mention this just in case some of you still have a wheel cocked to the left or right of center.

As is usually the case when something is clever, it isn't always obvious.

View attachment 385059
View attachment 385060

Its a pita sometimes to figure out how but you are right. I don't have a single wheel that isn't perfectly straight.

Upvote 0
I own the final optical outcome of this thread:

1596900236505.jpeg

More photos here :

Upvote 0
I bought the Simsteering v2 54 second hand from a gentleman that I now consider a good friend although we never met in person yet. He is on a hi end motion rig and he opted for the SC2 Pro mainly because of the wireless feature.

When asked, after he tried his extensively and an Ultimate, if I should go for any of those he told me to hold tight with what I have.

Must be a reason why it's still SRG' daily driver, despite some comments here and there from people with conflict of interest.

Unfortunately, the new ownership manifests no will (I read know how) to develop any new hardware or software, including the very needed firmware fix release, and in fact nothing has been done since the company was sold.

So, I have zero expectation for a future v3, unless Bodnar comes back to deliver some of his good stuff.

Upvote 0
Research breeds more questions!

VRS DirectForce Pro = 20Nm servo motor @ $799 USD
Accuforce Pro V2 DIY = 13Nm stepper motor @ $599

I think 13Nm is more than enough, but what exactly are the merits of the two motor types. Some reviewers state servo is smoother. Can anyone educate us?
i servo is a stepper motor with a sensor to tell where is position it is. so i dont think there would be a difference in smoothness.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i servo is a stepper motor with a sensor to tell where is position it is. so i dont think there would be a difference in smoothness.
That is not right, a servo system has feedback for position thats correct but also a servo motor has a low pole count. A stepper has a high pole count and that is where the accuforce sometimes has the cogging feeling.

Upvote 0
Bringing back my thread just to state that 1,5 year after my purchase I am still delighted with my DD1.
I never had a single issue and with the current drivers(429 and not 431/434/435) I get the best feeling I ever had since I started using the base.
I don't even remember the last time I got a jolt(using only Fanatec screen though).
My strategy, completely different than with all my other digital equipment, is to never quickly update when there is a release.
I lurk in Fanatec forums waiting for the first issues to be reported.
And I update only when I am sure that the release is trouble free.
That's why I also skip some drivers.
I went from 352 to 381 and now to 429.
Improvements are impressive and in my opinion there is headroom for some more to come.
The feeling I get by using the base is that, no matter we are 2,5 years after the initial release, we still don't get the 100% hardware has to offer.
Games I play: Dirt Rally, Dirt Rally 2, ACC, Automobilista 2, RRE

I also use some other strategies based on personal opinion, lurking in Fanatec forums and observing.
None of this is backed by any concrete proof though.
1) I never use Fanalab.
I don't want a software, other than the drivers, between my base and windows.
I don't need more than the 5 profiles quick tuning menu offers me.
I know I miss additional dynamic FFB effects and Telemetry based vibration effects by not using Fanalab. I just hope they are not so important.
Apart the unnecessary interference of another software and the value of simplicity I believe that Fanalab is also a possible source of problems.

2) This is not a strategy but a personal observation. I noticed that the frequency of problems is elevated for people using Formula V2 wheel and wheels with the new PBME module. Especially Formula V2.

3) My wheelbase is always connected to a dedicated wall plug. I also don't use USB hubs. Wheel base and pedals are always connected to a dedicated usb port on the back of my motherboard. OCD staff most probably but why change a 100% winning strategy?

4) I always follow below updating procedure/sequence:
BASE ON
1. uninstall drivers
2. restart
3. extract drivers
4. install
5. restart
6. remove wheel(base on)
7. flash firmware
8. flash motor firmware
9. erase motor calibration
10. motor sensor calibration