DD noob - how reliable are these things?

As a simracer since the days of GPL ive played them all competed in all forms of simracing so id consider myself to have a lot of experience of our beloved hobby that was until i took delivery of a GT DD PRO early yesterday and sat for 9 hours straight testing out most of my installed sims.
To say im blown away is an understatement, for some years now i always felt there was something else to discover in simracing if i ever got to experience a DD wheel as up to now ive used an old momo wheel,2x G27s,T300 and a G29.
Id consider myself a casual simracer these days and i thought id get by with the wheels i mentioned but i just had to get myself a DD wheel and im so glad i finally took the plunge.
Yes im only running the 5nm but its mounted onto a very sturdy desk but the way this wheels communicates to me is beyond what i could ever have imagined,the smoothness and fidelity is mind blowing,im absolutely loving it and hope to do so for a long time.

This got me wondering about reliability of it all?
A few times i felt the full force of the 5nm during crashes etc [i know those 18+ nm guys will LOL at me but hey im a noob to this DD world :)]
I guess im looking for assurance about longevity here , ill be honest im afraid to touch dirt rally 2 and wreckfest with this wheel :)

Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
Dd units mechanically speaking are pretty much bullet proof. The motor is direct drive to the wheel unlike belt and gear units with multiple moving parts that can wear and fail.
Really only failure poi1nt would be the electronics in it. No different from belt/gear units.

You are not going to hurt the unit hitting the max force on it.

Your Dd unit can pull up to 8nm force with the upgrade power brick for it so running it stock at 5nm is not stressing it to the max.

Last edited:
Also, mosţ people with 18+ nm units are not running them at 18+ nm.
Not unless they enjoy getting their hands and arms ripped out of their sockets!

full force of the 5nm
Since the identical motor can deliver 8Nm with Fanatec's boost option
and given its mechanical simplicity, it should be quite reliable @ 5Nm.

Perhaps Fanatec's substantial boost premium
anticipates increased warranty claims e.g. from overheating.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 559 17.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 379 11.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 341 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 243 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 390 12.1%