rF2 Datsun Bluebird L20B @ Mid Ohio - Thu 19 Dec 2019

rFactor 2 Racing Club event
Sign me up please.

I will try it the following days and hope to provide some helpful tips.

@Dennis Manke what exactly is your problem? Setup work in general?

I'm in the same boat. I also struggle with the UI in general - I've yet to find a hud/app that lets me see what's happening to my tyres in VR...

Talkin' of VR, the track is superb. For that reason alone, count me in please Denis.

I'm in the same boat. I also struggle with the UI in general - I've yet to find a hud/app that lets me see what's happening to my tyres in VR...

Talkin' of VR, the track is superb. For that reason alone, count me in please Denis.
I love this track mate. One of my favourites.
I'll stick yer name down now. :)

I've tried that one. It was set up on a 1080p desktop, with the ratio based on the author's Samsung Odyssey HMD. My desktop is 1440p & my Oculus Rift CV1 has a lower resolution than the Odyssey, so I think the bit I need is being cut out. :(

OK, but anyway you should be able to switch through the standard HUD on the bottom right corner. There is also tire Temps.
Just bind a button for cycling through HUD.

Tried the combo for a couple of laps yesterday...
It´s great!
I also only had one livery/car to choose from. No problem for me, i can live with only one livery at track.

I was relatively surprised how powerful the car is. Power oversteer in 3rd gear out of the corner. Didn´t expect that!

Tire temperatures:
Basically i think you should go into the corner relatively gentle. The high temperatures are due to being to fast in corner entry making the car understeer -> slip at the wheels -> lots of friction -> resulting in high tire temps.
Anyway, since the car has lots of power, you can easily make it rotate a bit by applying throttle (slight oversteer) to counteract understeer. You have to be pretty gently with throttle and open your steering angle a bit. So basically initiating a slight slide, same as in old formula cars. You will then realize that front tire temps won´t raise that much. Plus it helps to get better around the turn.

Setup concerning tire temps:
To generally influnce tire temperatures start playing with tire pressures. Raise the pressure -> tire keeps cooler, lower tire pressure -> tire gets hotter.
(A tire with low pressure allows it to flex more -> this flexing energy results in higher temperature. a tire with low pressure so being very stiff has less flexing energy and therefore less temperature.)
Just play with the values and do a couple of laps to see where your max. temp will be.
I had it around max. 80° C on the front by adding tire pressure (think ~+15kpa).

On some tracks you will realize, that the temps between left and right side are not equal. You could then try to adjust the tire pressures not symmetrically.
The optimum would be to have same tire temps all around. In RWD cars rears are normally hotter than fronts due to rear being also driven not just rolling.

My strategy with setup in general is the following (i´m not a pro in making setups!!):
- First do a couple of laps with standard setup
- try to figure out how the car behaves in fast and slow corners (oversteer/understeer/neutral).
- start playing with anti roll bar
- the softer the arb the more grip the axle will have and vice versa
- adjust that to have the general car behaviour as you like it. It´s important to feel comfortable and not to fight the car all the time to keep it on the road, especially in the race since you have to concentrate also on other things like opponents f.e..
- next step, have a look on tire temps
- try to influence them with tire pressure as mentioned above (evaluate influence and result with at least 5 driven laps). You need at least around 2 laps to get the tires on temperature.

Normally that´s all i do with setups. Sometimes i start playing around with camber, caster and toe in/out.
But i´m still fiddling with it, and don´t have enough experience to talk about it or give tips.

You can also search the web for so called "setup cheat sheets". Based on how the car handles and what you wanna achieve it tells you what are the possible adjustements in the setups. Very helpful!
This one is nice but there are lots available:

Just a interesting fact on suspension/roll bar settings on touring cars of that era:
A guy told me once that back in the days the RWD cars were very soft in the rear to have max traction on the rear axle. The front in comparison was pretty stiff. This resulted, while driving a corner, in the inner front wheel to raise and not be in contact with the track. There are a lot of spectacular pictures in the web of that sort of behaviour. The guy told me then, that this was a sign for a well set up car back then. Remember also that back in the days weight distribution wasn´t mostly towards 50-50 as it is nowadys (also in front engined RWD cars).
This also makes old cars a bit special in behaviour and a different but cool experience to drive....

Hope this helps anybody..

See you on thursday!!

Another important thing concerning setup.
Try not to change to much within one step. Change different values solely step by step and always evaluate every change with a couple of laps.
When you for example change tire temps, camber, toe in etc. all in one stepp you can easily mess up the whole setup.

Needs time but is the better way!

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 285 15.3%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 192 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 140 7.5%
  • < 5 years