Cars (DATA REPLACEMENT) Mazda RX-7 FD3S Improved Physics by Arch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyuubeey

@Simberia
Kyuubeey submitted a new resource:

(DATA REPLACEMENT) Mazda RX-7 FD3S Improved Physics by Arch - Curses begone!

22.05.2019 Version 0.9RC

• Initial early release

!!!IMPORTANT!!!

Doesn't require shaders patch! Requires JDM Pack DLC by Kunos!

!!!IMPORTANT!!!

Modified, scratchmade physics for Mazda RX-7 FD3S SPIRIT R Type A. For now only stock version as a pre-release.

Initial 0.9 release candidate includes improved suspension and slightly improved LSD and tires.

1.0 will include also aerodynamics, engine and turbos, potentially better LSD and more tire changes + any fixes.
Some Kunos misc. and...

Read more about this resource...

Finally we are getting some street cars especially JDM cars, my favorite bunch. This is something that I've been waiting for since the release of AC hence why I've always put AC down despite the plethora of wonderful mods done by Shaun Clarke, A3DR, Giuseppe, Andrea, aphigod, f1papa, Patrik and others to name a few. But what really disappointed me was how none of the JDM car pack didn't accomplish anything true to the real car specs that had to do with kinetics, suspension data and so on. Even if the mod feels good, if it isn't based on real data then what's the point? Might as well not put the JDM pack at all in the first place but then again these generic cars are of some value in that they have room for improvement which is what Kyu is doing here.

My idea of a simulator is to simulate the physics of a car not the visuals and throw physics out, call it estimate, call it approximate, it's all the same. What I tend to see is many people go for high end cars or outdated cars that are hard to get all the numbers which in turn, results in a bland car. Of course, there is also the feeling approach which I quite understand but without true documentation or values, it doesn't matter. You can make an ae86 rear end spin and people will think it feels right or in the other spectrum, a GT car with lots of grip and minor touches and it will be 'realistic'. But for the modders who have done a phenomenal job, this is what AC should be a sim not an arcade with hundreds of cars who have no use for some sim racers. Gran Turismo and Forza is there for people who want content but AC should stick to simulating car physics and should be looked on as a Sim game by others not as an arcade game and of course it has limitations but whose to say one can't defy these limits ;)

I've been playing sim for a really long time and what changed my mind was recent years where I was able to have the luxury of going to race tracks and driving and testing different cars which gave me a different view of what a sim should be. For example, the improvement you've made to the ae86 is beautiful but if you would go and take it an extra step to replicate it even further would be something I would be grateful for as I was a former owner of an 86! It is an icon to Japan and the drifting scene and for you to be doing what you are doing really means something.

Kyu what you are doing here is something that is getting my attention. It takes personality to become something truly memorable. Thank you I really hope you keep updating the physics of these cars and please, focus one by one just like you are. i'd rather have one realistic car than ten amazing cars with a lack of realism. The rx-7 is a legend, leave it's mark here on AC. This is something I would be eager to fund.

Last edited:
*Charles Dickens impersonation*

Hey, thanks for the feedback. I'll keep taking them one by one as they come. :thumbsup:

What about the 86 don't you like? AC's axle implementation isn't 100% accurate, nor are tires in AC, and there's no chassis flex either. A good part of the car's feel comes from the springiness of the chassis flex: impossible in AC.
Short of fixing those things which is for me essentially an impossibility, what would you suggest I do?

Is this for real? You are making even better physics for my favorite JDM car in Assetto Corsa? Kinda dream come true! Looking foward for the updates, thank you.
P.S. One question though. Did FD3s Spirit R really had that soft suspension? I mean, it is the fastest stock RX-7 with the Bilstein suspension and all. I thought it would feel like NSX-R NA1 from Some1 or your BNR34 S1. So I just wondering is this really a feature?

Is this for real? You are making even better physics for my favorite JDM car in Assetto Corsa? Kinda dream come true! Looking foward for the updates, thank you.
P.S. One question though. Did FD3s Spirit R really had that soft suspension? I mean, it is the fastest stock RX-7 with the Bilstein suspension and all. I thought it would feel like NSX-R NA1 from Some1 or your BNR34 S1. So I just wondering is this really a feature?
Thanks.

I checked the register, and all FD3S of all years from the factory have "Standard" springs, which is about 5 and 3.6kg/mm, with motion ratios of 0.63~ and 0.75~. Only dampers change.

The end result is indeed about 1.3hz ride frequency, like any normal soft roadcar. Actual tuners have also come up with 1.3~hz so I believe it. GT-R is closer to 1.8hz and NSXR is closer to 2.1hz IIRC.

The reason is because the suspensions are designed with relatively short arms, for good camber curves, you end up with very little possible shaft travel.

So Mazda's philosophy is to make the car ride the bumpstops in hard cornering and acquire springrate from them. The benefit is that you get a fast and comfortable car in one. I don't completely agree with the philosophy but it makes sense.

Here's a video to compare.

You can see the brake dive is excessive. Also in some BM tests of earlier FD3S, the acceleration squat on launches is really quite a lot. The performance however is fine IMO.

Oops! The curve I acquired IS the right one! Looks like they indeed dyno at the quoted power figure. :roflmao:

Will be fixed for next. Also there's a bug at 4500RPM, looks like I left it there and forgot. Big torque spike. Will be fixed. :thumbsup:

Gotta try this out and see how it feels compared to real life, I owned a real one of these for eight years, a 2002 type RS JDM (one of the only 1500 made that year) Should have kept it, worth a lot now! Not sure if its springs or dampers, but the ride is very hard. One of the reasons I sold it.

Gotta try this out and see how it feels compared to real life, I owned a real one of these for eight years, a 2002 type RS JDM (one of the only 1500 made that year) Should have kept it, worth a lot now! Not sure if its springs or dampers, but the ride is very hard. One of the reasons I sold it.
Nice! Definitely dampers, as the springs were the standard ones through the whole lifespan, it seems like. I don't have damper dynos for exactly these ones, so if you feel something's off, report it. Maybe I will listen.

I'm not ruling out the possibility of more high-speed damping, as the adaptive dampers for these cars were far less digressive than the earlier type fixed dampers. Perhaps the fixed type Bilsteins as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 70 7.3%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 99 10.4%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 139 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 265 27.8%