Dash Meter Pro

David O'Reilly

A bad quali means I can go forwards in the race.
Just to let my fellow RF2 buddies know.
I did some research and invested yesterday.
Screen wise: My 7 year old daughter has a Hudl pad with a 7 inch screen that she rarely uses.This meant I could for £5.47 have the full setup.

I didnt really want to install track map as I just like an uncluttered screen.
I can have 5 pre set screens so Ill probably go with a Race Screen, a Historic Race Screen, a Practice Screen and maybe a quali screen. This will allow me to tailor the info. EG fuel consumption test in practice, but a fuel use per lap not really needed in a race. I will just see how many laps fuel left and how much if any needed to add.

The choices of info are pretty good EG I'm not bothering with gear position and speed or RPM (the shift lights are great) and I run cockpit anyway. But stuff like ambient, track temps, an Oil temp guage, sector delta to complement my live delta best are all there.
So I can now leave my RF2 info screen on tyre temps and wear and the rest is there where I can see it.

I'm thinking it was one of the better £5.00 investments Ive made.

Any other feedback or advice from users is very welcome.

David

did you have any issues with the dashmeter pro interface freezing/being slow to update? ive been using this and the AC and R3E flavours for a few months but i find the rf2 version seems to suffer with small freezes/hangs in the updated info, throws me worst when the led indicators dont change at the correct time

edit: found a thread on RD talking about the issue

I've had this app for ages, neatly positioned on my old Samsung S2 phone directly in my line of sight to the monitor. First up it's a great piece of software and very much worth the £5 (I mean that's pretty much just over a Pint of beer these days!).

One thing I highly recommend is to edit the screens, you have 5 (I think not got it turned on) to play around with meaning all manner of information is a finger press away. For example I have Lap Times, Delta Times, Gap Times on one screen, whilst my Main screen I have the Current Gear, Speed, Oil/Water temp, Race Time (countdown handy for Endurance events) or Lap Count and others that I forget. The Rev Lights are very handy and can be edited to your liking with many configurations, you can even have the whole screen Flash on rev limit to alert you for a needed gear change.

Once you've fiddled with the Screens and changed the size of each segment (handy for the Current Gear!) to your liking you really will find it an extremely useful app and it certainly replaces the in-game Information HUD just to add that extra bit of realism.

It gets constant updates/bug fixes and it has grown a lot over the past couple of years.
Get it, you won't be disappointed :)

did you have any issues with the dashmeter pro interface freezing/being slow to update? ive been using this and the AC and R3E flavours for a few months but i find the rf2 version seems to suffer with small freezes/hangs in the updated info, throws me worst when the led indicators dont change at the correct time

I've never noticed any big lag in any version, maybe it has to do with the device? on mine (see above) it's been perfectly fine with all updates including the latest one.
Have you contacted the author? he's very responsive as I've thrown a few bugs at him and he's replied with Thanks and fixed them so maybe he can help track down the issue.

im using a nexus 5 running android 5, might be an android update that caused this but it must have been introduced in android 4 and continued into the latest version.

For me this is the best app ever.

I'm using a cheap tablet and old Samsung S3 to give me all the info I need on the fly.
I'm also using ambient, and track temps, Oil temp gauge, tire temps, brake temp, ware , sector and delta time and that kind of info

Comparing your lap telemetry is a great tool and let you easily compare your laps, you can also swap this data with fellow DMPro users and compare you're laps.

@Bez: I never had any trouble whit stutters or freezing

No issues yet. Just ran a practice race vs AI , 60 min Interlagos in the ASR 1992 OWC. Was very nice pushing my fuel load to the limit. I deliberately short fuelled by about 10 litres and did some short shifting/fuel save to see the impact on the fuel margin. Also a pit stop had an impact too. The maths dont know your pit strategy I guess.

I've had this app for ages, neatly positioned on my old Samsung S2 phone directly in my line of sight to the monitor. First up it's a great piece of software and very much worth the £5 (I mean that's pretty much just over a Pint of beer these days!).

One thing I highly recommend is to edit the screens, you have 5 (I think not got it turned on) to play around with meaning all manner of information is a finger press away. For example I have Lap Times, Delta Times, Gap Times on one screen, whilst my Main screen I have the Current Gear, Speed, Oil/Water temp, Race Time (countdown handy for Endurance events) or Lap Count and others that I forget. The Rev Lights are very handy and can be edited to your liking with many configurations, you can even have the whole screen Flash on rev limit to alert you for a needed gear change.

Once you've fiddled with the Screens and changed the size of each segment (handy for the Current Gear!) to your liking you really will find it an extremely useful app and it certainly replaces the in-game Information HUD just to add that extra bit of realism.

It gets constant updates/bug fixes and it has grown a lot over the past couple of years.
Get it, you won't be disappointed :)
My tablet is a little bigger. For the moment I have it to the side. Might liftthescreen and try in fornt again, at present the wheel blocks the view of it if I sit it in front.
and yes I have edited the screen, discovered not to be afraid of deleting stuff you dont want to see in a race.
So I have practice (more info)and race screens (less info).

I used to use a cheap tablet I got off ebay until it packed in, now I use my old phone stuck to the wheel with one of these

http://www.amazon.co.uk/HuaYang-Ste...4&sr=8-2&keywords=steering+wheel+phone+holder
Nice one, perfect for the phone. I have o think about this little tablet position.

Here's my setup albeit with the first mobile phone I used, when I upgraded I changed to the Samsung S2 (bigger screen).
This isn't taken at eye level, from my perfect seating/head postion the top of the phone is parallel to the bottom of the Screen so it fits in nicely. This way the Current Gear and Rev Lights are in my Peripheral vision so only need to look at the phone for the smaller details (times, temps, etc etc)

Edit: that's my old monitor too!

DMP.jpg

I've used Dashmeter for a while, used it for both Race07 and Rfactor2, its very handy, I made a wheelplate out of plastic, bought a cheap phone cover and glued it to the wheelplate, so I just clip my phone in and out anytime I'm driving, to be honest I don't use it for a great deal except for knowing what gear I'm in, the rev light's and the rev counter for start's.

you can also output to 2 devices, I used to use my tablet to the left of me to watch a diffrent Dashmeter screen, Just set the ip of your 2 devices in the prefrences in plugins :thumbsup:

Thanks David for info on this seemingly invaluable tool. Got this last night, set up was a doddle. After the initial that looks cool bit, this is a great addition to my setup.

Just looking through my telemetry after a 10 lap run in the FR3.5's I can see I am not using the brakes no where near as effectively as I could do. That looks like just a small part of where I can improve!

Well worth £5 investment.

Thanks David for info on this seemingly invaluable tool. Got this last night, set up was a doddle. After the initial that looks cool bit, this is a great addition to my setup.

Just looking through my telemetry after a 10 lap run in the FR3.5's I can see I am not using the brakes no where near as effectively as I could do. That looks like just a small part of where I can improve!

Well worth £5 investment.
The motec plugin will give you much more detailed telemetry and analysis too.
You can change setups for example and overlay the data.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 8.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 136 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 370 28.0%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 515 39.0%