Dan Wheldon 1978 – 2011

Speed has nothing to do with ignition.
When's the last time you have seen an f1 car catch fire in a crash?
I cant remember the last time(I dont count after-crash fire, like heidfelds in germany, he was well out of the car by the time it lit)

The flames are superficial and are usually caused by oil leaks. Which happens when you hit solid barriers at those speeds. An F1 car would do it too. Anyone who had a flash fire pre-wall probably hit, or was hit by, another car.

The flames are superficial and are usually caused by oil leaks. Which happens when you hit solid barriers at those speeds. An F1 car would do it too. Anyone who had a flash fire pre-wall probably hit, or was hit by, another car.

Remember when Ralf Shcumacher hit the wall backwards at 180mph?

I don't recall a fire, I also remember how the car remained much more intact than Indycars do.

Remember, Dan will not have been doing 220mph as he hit the fencing, probably a similar speed to Ralf's accident.

And the flames weren't superficial - I don't know who it was as I don't follow Indy but there was a car completely ablaze.

If they are doing 220mph and they know the car will burst into flames on impact then I think it is irresponsible that they were allowed to race like that.

F1 may have had its fair share of fires after crashes but after the one that burnt Berger's hands at Imola, the FIA took measures to stop this from happening again. This led to re-fueling being introduced in 1994 to limit the amount of fuel that is onboard. Over the years there have been far less crashes that have led to the car catching fire, to the point where it is now a very rare occurance.

Los MiniDrivers tribute to Wheldon:
minidw.jpg

Remember when Ralf Shcumacher hit the wall backwards at 180mph?

I don't recall a fire, I also remember how the car remained much more intact than Indycars do.

Remember, Dan will not have been doing 220mph as he hit the fencing, probably a similar speed to Ralf's accident.

And the flames weren't superficial - I don't know who it was as I don't follow Indy but there was a car completely ablaze.
Hitting a fence is alot different to hitting a wall, the wall absorbs the damage but a fence makes the car absorb the damage, open wheelers hitting a catch fence is nearly always going to be a very bad incident.

i think looking into ways to make the fence safer, maybe use bendable glass or glass or something because catch fence have been a issue for all typre of oval crashes involved with them.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 87 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 124 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 171 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 333 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 463 39.2%