Dallara DW12 Released

Named in honor of the late Dan Wheldon who conducted its initial development, the Dallara DW12 is the spec chassis utilized by the Verizon IndyCar Series. Dallara was selected to supply chassis to the IndyCar Series by a blue ribbon panel of drivers, designers, promoters and administrators as part of the ICONIC Plan (Innovative, Competitive, Open-wheel, New, Industry-relevant, Cost-effective).
In keeping with the ICONIC principles, the DW12 incorporates a host of features designed to enhance both the competition and safety of IndyCar racing including partially-enclosed rear wheels, a bumper/nerf bar and robust nose wing construction, along with a fixed cost of $349,000 per chassis. In addition, the chassis is intended to support multiple aerodynamic kits, the introduction of which is still pending. Currently, Chevrolet and Honda supply 2.2 liter, turbocharged V6 engines for the DW12. The engines produce up to 700 bhp and are equipped with push-to-pass functions on selected road and street courses.

I've been subscribed to iRacing for a fair few years now, and felt I was wasting my money until the Z4 came out. That and the DW12 are the first cars that I've actually felt comfortable in.
Did you run mostly faster cars? The cars on DOT tires, particularly the Mustang and SRF have been good for a while, probably from being less twitchy to start with. I figured once the NTM caught up with the fast cars on slicks opinions would increase quickly.
Funny, but clearly a network glitch. I wonder if the driver's wheel was moving the whole time.
No, seems it's something where internal math blows up when high df cars get sent vertical. You can see the car accelerate when it's completely airborne.

This is what network glitches and netcode look like.

What were the pings in that race? Its not a game glitch, I've been running races since release of multi into the last patch and only have issues against +150 pings. Those pints are the outliers anyway in the year 2014.

The only issues with collisions in multi for AC right now seems to be momentum doesnt transfer up to the car infront much if you bump them it shoots you backwards a bit it seems.

What were the pings in that race? Its not a game glitch, I've been running races since release of multi into the last patch and only have issues against +150 pings. Those pints are the outliers anyway in the year 2014.

The only issues with collisions in multi for AC right now seems to be momentum doesnt transfer up to the car infront much if you bump them it shoots you backwards a bit it seems.
Don't know, but the intent was not to bash on AC, rather to be an example of what bad lag/netcode looks like versus something in core physics. Just the most recent netcode video I had watched, convenient to grab it.

If it were netcode, the car would eventually catch up to the local machine. iRacing doesn't do physics server side, don't think anyone does (or if it's even possible).

Did you run mostly faster cars? The cars on DOT tires, particularly the Mustang and SRF have been good for a while, probably from being less twitchy to start with. I figured once the NTM caught up with the fast cars on slicks opinions would increase quickly.

I tried running in every car I could - I own almost all road content. When it came to official racing I ran the HPD and the McLaren the most, because I had the best handle on them. The cars on DOT tyres were, if anything, the worst for me. No feel for anything, I couldn't "place" the car on the track like I can in other sims, and it was always too much or too little steering input. The MX-5 and SRF, even on NTMv5, remain two of the most frustrating sim cars I have ever driven, second only to the V8 Supercar.

That's why the DW12 and Z4 are such a breath of fresh air for me - I can jump in them and instantly be lapping consistently, and driving in ways that aren't counter-intuitive. I can only hope that future cars and updates to existing ones give me the same feeling.

I tried running in every car I could - I own almost all road content. When it came to official racing I ran the HPD and the McLaren the most, because I had the best handle on them. The cars on DOT tyres were, if anything, the worst for me. No feel for anything, I couldn't "place" the car on the track like I can in other sims, and it was always too much or too little steering input. The MX-5 and SRF, even on NTMv5, remain two of the most frustrating sim cars I have ever driven, second only to the V8 Supercar.

That's why the DW12 and Z4 are such a breath of fresh air for me - I can jump in them and instantly be lapping consistently, and driving in ways that aren't counter-intuitive. I can only hope that future cars and updates to existing ones give me the same feeling.
To each their own, just shows how much feel for sim cars is personal. I ditched the C-Spec at Oran this week because it was fussy. Within 10 laps I was up to speed and consistent in the SRF at Suzuka East. Aside from being unable to avoid a spinner right in front of me in T2 and then running wide on the last lap trying to make a pass, I was as stable and safe as could be asked for.

I think regardless, we can see see that there are cars that have been gotten 'right', just getting more of them right more consistently is the goal now (IMO).

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 345 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 236 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 234 10.6%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 175 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 296 13.4%