Dakar 21 - The Game

@Rally_1337 Thanks.

@Nico Game engines are "monopolized" (not really, but let's say they are) as a direct result of the fact that making games gets more and more expensive given the expected product values, doubly so with games that require expensive licenses, and making your own engine is a huge undertaking that takes a lot of time and effort. We're likely at the point where developing and finetuning a proprietary engine might take the good part of a decade.

@Nico Game engines are "monopolized" (not really, but let's say they are) as a direct result of the fact that making games gets more and more expensive given the expected product values, doubly so with games that require expensive licenses, and making your own engine is a huge undertaking that takes a lot of time and effort. We're likely at the point where developing and finetuning a proprietary engine might take the good part of a decade.
I think the point was that modern game engines like the UE 4 are not modder friendly.

Plenty of games on PC offer modding possibilities officially and usually tend to be more or less modder-friendly. But on UE4 titles, due to everything being "packaged", it makes modding infinitely more cumbersome.

But I know I am in the minority, the biggest chunk of the gaming market today is consoles and online gaming, and it's full of entitled, obnoxious children who can't distinguish between modding and cheating. That's how my favourite childhood franchise (GTA) got killed, and now it's a mere soulless shadow of its former self. And seems like more and more series will follow that path as they grow on popularity. :(

Yes, I am aware what his point was (I mean he stated it very clearly). I'm explaining *why* the engines are "monopolizing" (and tbh, I also thought my point was pretty clear).

Given the infamous failure of Dakar 18 (which was also hyped), I'll wait for the reviews, just to see if basic controller support is actually implemented this time.

Given the infamous failure of Dakar 18 (which was also hyped), I'll wait for the reviews, just to see if basic controller support is actually implemented this time.
Tbh, it wasn't even THAT bad, the physics were absolutely **** but they did to the roadbook part, navigation and scale right.

Now they've had help from Saber and the snowrunner team, i've got much more hope. They also learned a lot from the previous games.

Last edited:
Dakar18 supports controllers, Ive played it with a wheel and pedals set, and also an xbox controller.
Yeah, but that came later in a patch, AFTER everyone had given up and moved on.

Point is; dont rush things out because you're out of time and/or money to develop. Make sure the basics work BEFORE release.

Last edited:
Yeah, but that came later in a patch, AFTER everyone had given up and moved on.

Point is; dont rush things out because you're out of time and/or money to develop. Make sure the basics work BEFORE release.
Indeed, I'd read it was in a pretty bad state at its release. I didn't know about these initial controllers issue, I've bought the game much later on sale and it was worth the buy. Far from perfect, but a nice change from other racing titles.

The worst thing imo, before the physics, is the distance measurement : as the scale of the map has been reduced, the measurements have been reduced, it is annoying. I'm ok with reducing the real map, but they should have adapted the measurments, this is confusing. I hope it will be fixed in the 21 edition. This reduced measurements are manageable because of the simplified physics. Better physics would be hard to handle with so short distances. Something must be done there.

I hope they'll get the help of the spintires series developers for the physics. Combining both talents should make an amazing title.

An issue that has never been adressed in dakar 18 : optimisation. I had to make some manual modifications to get it smoother.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back