Dakar 21 - The Game

It's generally worse than Steam. A tiiiny bit Chinese ownership, but meh. Mainly it's me being stubborn. I hate exclusivity-deals. I hate the "we try to make things better for gamers" buy basically "buying" a userbase with free games, when they don't actually do things better. I have no issues with developers with their own launchers having them exclusive (like battle.net, or Epic games on Epic etc.). However buying exclusivity from 3rd party games. No-go. There's enough games elsewhere.

Well Steam invented Exclusivity and Epic is the villain, lol. I lost track of Steam Exclusive title a long long long time ago.

[QUOTE = "Hailstorm BLX, publicación: 3328555, miembro: 313926"]
¿El primero fue bueno o simplemente un buen concepto arruinado por una mala ejecución?
[/ CITAR]

Lo mejor FUE: El RouteBook.
Con volante ... era imposible ya Que la Conducción es muy arcade.

no tenia mucha variedad de vehículos: Solamente 2 o 3 por clase (Los Mas importantes por categorías)

This is an english speaking forum as stated in out ToS please use it in future.

Hailstorm BLX, Publication: 3328555, Member: 313926 "]
Was the former a good one or just a good concept ruined by poor execution?
[/ QUOTE]

The best was: The RouteBook.
With steering wheel ... it was impossible since the Driving is very arcade.

I did not have much variety of vehicles: Only 2 or 3 per class (The most important by categories)

Last edited by a moderator:
(Also, I think I may never understand the huge amount of antipathy people seem to have to Epic Store. It's just another storefront. Yes, it does exclusive deals, but it's still on the same platform, unlike with console exclusivity. And developers also get a larger cut on Epic compared to Steam. I think people idealize Steam a bit too much and at the same time vilify Epic to an unreasonable degree. Also Epic gives away games for free frequently, and not just garbage bin games too, and they have pretty solid sales and coupons and such.)
I don't want to join into the hate bandwagon for Epic Store, because I know they could implement all the benefits of Steam if they wanted. It's still a young platform. But for some of us Steam simply offers a much better deal. Most people in the first world don't seem to know that Steam not only sells games in USD, Euro and Pounds, but also many, many other currencies from around the world. Including my own, which I think it's the only major gaming platform that does.

And not only that, but in my country Steam offers most games at a pretty reasonable price due to (mostly) our massive inflation. Sometimes less than half of the base USD price. When you're poor, you don't care much if the devs are getting the biggest cut, you care about getting your product at the best possible price. And if for that reasonable price I get the chance to give my opinion on the game, read other's opinions on the game, and access to a (generally big) library of modding content for that game, then I'm sold.

To add a bit to the Steam/Epic conversation. I prefer Steam but don't mind Epic anymore that much. I would be more happy if there was choice. However there are games where this cross-launcher thing isn't working.

A recent example is Hitman. If you own all games on the same launcher, in the newest game you can play the content from all games in theory. I have Hitman 1 on Epic, Hitman 2 on Steam, thus I cannot play Hitman 1 levels in Hitman 2. Now Hitman 3 is being released exclusively on Epic. Hitman 2 was never sold on Epic, so if one would want all the content in a single (smaller) install they would have to get Hitman 2 content via DLC even if they owned it on Steam. They got bad rep for it so they are allegedly working on a solution, but still the whole situation screwed due to exclusivity.

Other point would be Workshop, some not exclusive but sold on Epic games don't have it natively. Then there is regional pricing, but I live in a country that is pretty poor compared to the "West" but have Euro so I am screwed anyway, same prices :D

However, Epic sales with the coupons are great, that's where I get all Ubisoft games which can be played from Ubisoft's launcher once connected to Epic.

I did buy the game cheap like a year ago. And I can agree it drives like a tank the navigation is impossible to master on med-hard. But it's got some really good potential. The fact that you can get outta you're car to get yourself outta a ditch or help other cars is a really interesting concept that I hope they improved and expanded on. Since the game has been I'm development for like 2-3 years I hope they make it better. I give it a shot when the reviews come out..

Not really into these type of games, either Rally or Dakar. I am more a Circuit Racing type of person. I am still open minded and to see what the reviews say from all of you about DAKAR 21 when released. I also prefer games with VR support to make the games more immersive. This game probably wont have VR.

Reactions: SDX
Mid-stage saving, I hope?

As for Epic/Steam, I've picked up some good deals on Epic, so I can't complain. Including one title that was on my Steam wishlist. Its annoying that EA games kick me out to Origin, but maybe Steam does that too.

A bigger gripe to me about Epic regards how they worked with the PUBG folks but then made their own competitor, possibly using what they'd learned from the other folks. I don't have all the details, but it sounds a bit shady.

The problem with the first game was that it mostly just simulated the part where you have to navigate through deserts and rough terrain with only fairly vague directions over long distances, and didn't really simulate the actual driving much. So on one hand there were amazing moments where you got lost after missing a barely visible junction as the last light of sunset quickly faded and your headlights were already flickering and heavily damaged from the previous 30 minutes of driving, but the car felt like a block with wheels, there was hardly any FFB and in fact the whole wheel support was very problematic even on devices that it was supposed to support.

They fixed a lot of the biggest issues in subsequent patches, but plenty remained still and really, the damage was already done on day 1, also due to YouTubers ripping the game to shreds because of the above.

I liked the first game, wasn't that bad as people seem to get it to but i think it needed some extra work. Nevertheless it was a first attempt after so many years gap from a proper Dakar Rally game and the team did a very great effort. I am looking forward to the new game.

I picked up Dakar 18 on sale last year, and both myself and the missus enjoyed it so much that we bought it again so we could race (and assist) each other... for a total of about £15! Yes, I know it has split-screen/local co-op too, but it's not the same.

We've always enjoyed watching the Dakar Rally and despite the games problems we really enjoyed the Dakar-like elements such as the navigation and the scenery etc, which are unique to this game.

I do understand the negative comments towards the original game in terms of the handling, the issues with wheel & ffb setups, bugs etc. However, there is loads of potential to improve on the original game and with the right support Dakar 21 could be an excellent game... Hopefully there are some Saudi backers who would like to put the amazing scenery* in their country on show in a more complete and polished game... and make it the game that this incredible rally deserves.

*I didn't know Saudi had such an amazing landscape until I watched the Dakar rally there.

Last edited:
Hope it's not too big of a topic detour, but what makes Epic so bad compared to Steam (or what makes Steam more trustworthy than Epic)? I ask because I use both services, but I only auto-launch Steam at startup since nearly all of my games are there. is it just distrust of anything connected to China or something more?

It's Epics ToS.
Steam states that they'll make use of game related data you generate, primarily for sales purposes but also to improve the whole user experience. But they don't forward your data to 3rd parties, and don't sell it. So you have an acceptable use of and protection of data related to you.
Epic says ANYTHING on your computer, and it's sneakily termed, is theirs to do with as they please. Its couched in terms of user generated game data but it actually boils down to anything you can think of. I'll find the relevant parts on my pc (this is via tablet) Read it, sit back and digest it, they are telling you that anything they can find on you they can use, pass on or sell.

Epic says ANYTHING on your computer, and it's sneakily termed, is theirs to do with as they please. Its couched in terms of user generated game data but it actually boils down to anything you can think of. I'll find the relevant parts on my pc (this is via tablet) Read it, sit back and digest it, they are telling you that anything they can find on you they can use, pass on or sell.
I hope you don't mean that part about user generated content some people were trying to create drama about a while back, because they either didn't read it correctly - it clearly stated it applies to "content created through the Epic Game store application" - or simply didn't understand what it means. Valve/Steam has pretty much the same terms in that regard, as do other services and games, it's a pretty standard thing. People really should read EULAs and TOS more often than when they're looking for something to confirm their personal bias against a service or a company. And also, unless I'm mistaken, it has since been reworded precisely because people were making misleading claims based on that part.

So if that is what you're talking about, then no, it really didn't say anything on your computer is theirs to do with as they please in the first place, the terms were/are really no different than on other platforms and/or for other products, and has even been changed since to avoid misinterpretations like this.

The team is now owned by Saber Interactive
This is REALLY good news. Now I have big expectation. I love MudRunner, SnowRunner (I create my Epic account just for this game) and also SpinTires. They are my "escape" from sim racing rush, when I need just some relaxing time.

Last edited:
Despite the poor driving model and FFB, i like Dakar 18 very much. Finishing a Dakar rally gives me really the sense of having achieved a marathon event. Having a damaged vehicle makes you feel nervous about lasting till the finish line. Being good here is about endurance and not about learning tracks by heart and jet pilot-like reactions like being good in Dirt Rally requires.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 291 15.2%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 203 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 197 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 144 7.5%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 257 13.4%