Dakar 19 - The Game

Step 1: Release broken, buggy, mess of a game with no wheel support.
Step 2: Patch it after the game releases instead of delaying game and fixing bugs beforehand, thus giving really bad first impressions.
Step 3: Announce sequel.
Step 4: ???
Step 5: Profit!

Don't get me wrong, I'm as hopeful as anyone else that it'll be good. But this time around I'll wait for the reviews before I buy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm as hopeful as anyone else that it'll be good. But this time around I'll wait for the reviews before I buy.
But the thing is...what good are reviews when they only reflect the day one state of the game? Yes, the game released as a mess. So everyone and their aunt shat on it to ridiculous extent. Deservedly so, of course. But the thing is...it was a very different game just a week or two after that, but that's something you wouldn't know from most reviews and reviewers. And once Joe Public makes an opinion about something, it's unlikely to change. People generally don't like to change their opinions, and often even don't see any reason to re-evaluate things, and they also love to ridicule stuff they don't like. Gamers/simracers doubly so.

Did it release in a very poor shape, especially for its price? Oh, absolutely. Is it OK to release broken games and fix them later? No, that shouldn't be the case at all, but it's also entirely possible they simply didn't have a choice and couldn't postpone the release further. But the fact still remains that the game received quite a lot of attention from the devs after release, and a lot of the various issues got solved.

• tunaphis

"I wish them all the success in the world, All great game companies started somewhere. And if we punish every new effort there will simply be no new games outside the big marquees".They got a 3 year deal from Dakar ending 2020 so this should have many bug & glitches fixed as per their roadplan.Big game in size for a small dev but if this was right it could get a big following.All the best to Lisbon.

Hold yer horses boys... I have been on Discord with the Developers of Dakar the Game since it was first released and have a solid understanding of their concept of development. Just come on over to discord and ask them yourself, they will all say the same thing, they intended to make a simulation of the Dakar and did not realize the need for physics wheel support and reality as the sim racing world understands these things.

They built the body of it, the world that it exists upon is very good. Even the race is different every year, different stages different countries different length, they have the entirety of the current area mapped out and built. A little minor improvement maybe in the works for this, and they have to do the roadbooks and the voice overs and all that as well as the new cars, but their primary focus is to start over with the physics model and wheel support model and develop a VR simulation that is even more realistic with far better FFB and very much improved physics.

I see the negative posts all over the place every day. I will just say it, even in it's current form if you cannot navigate, cannot take care of your car by slowing way down and do not have the endurance to make Stage 2, then you are probably pretty mad at the game.

Most drivers in the 2018 Dakar dropped out in Stage 2, most players in Dakar 18 drop out in Stage 2. It was Stage 3 in 2019...

Look at the Steam Achievements for Dakar 18, less than .02% of players have completed the Dakar on Legend Difficulty while more than 60% have finished on Competitor. Bigmoon has the passion and the desire to build the greatest simulation of the world's longest and toughest race, they have the balls to try when no one else ever did, not like this. They could use your support, they need feedback, and they need suggestions and they need the best people helping them.

If you want a challenge the likes of which you have never encountered in any racing game or sim, you really should give it try and see if you can join the Dakar family.

they intended to make a simulation of the Dakar and did not realize the need for physics wheel support and reality as the sim racing world understands these things.
That's kinda...I don't know what the proper word is here...sad, maybe? Don't get how that happens, really. It's like deciding to write a novel while not realizing the need for a story arc IMO...

That's kinda...I don't know what the proper word is here...sad, maybe? Don't get how that happens, really. It's like deciding to write a novel while not realizing the need for a story arc IMO...

Yeah, it is in a way, it is the reason the PC version was so messed up on release and the primary reason for all negativity at the release.

Martin you seem to be kinda into this game, why not visit us on Discord and see what's going on. We now have 2 teams working on human navigation, the other team is Polish. It would be really cool to put together maybe 20 teams of human pilot human navigator and maybe have a serious competition. With Ruta 40 and Inca breaking any moment, Human Human would be awesome with virgin knowledge of the courses.

BTW if not aware, both those rallies are finished and ready for release awaiting approval from Microsoft and the Consoles. They are anticipated to be released in the next few days.

God damn, That revelation is a shocker.

Surely they had a target market in mind, and some concept of their expectations?

I don’t mind supporting Bigmoon. They did pretty well as their first game despite it is no where near perfect. Same goes for the WRC games, I think they are pretty decent now.

As long as they can improve it incrementally year by year, I’m quite ok with that. However, Dakar do need better physics though. The driving is quite average at best. It’s the immersion of driving through a large desert made it really unique.

Martin you seem to be kinda into this game, why not visit us on Discord and see what's going on. We now have 2 teams working on human navigation, the other team is Polish. It would be really cool to put together maybe 20 teams of human pilot human navigator and maybe have a serious competition. With Ruta 40 and Inca breaking any moment, Human Human would be awesome with virgin knowledge of the courses.
While I quite like the game for what it is, I don't think I want to dedicate myself to it this much. Also, I'm really not a fan of Discord ;)

I understand the game (Dakar 18) is quite different now with 10+ patches compared to what it was on release day, and that most reviews were based on the day 1 version (if not an earlier pre-release version for the press). The question is: how different (better) is the game now and how would it rate in its current state?

On Dakar 18 I have to say that the game is not as bad as many of yours paint it. Okay, their physics may not be the best, and the car models and characters aren't very detailed, but the navigation experience is amazingly good and I'm enjoying it a lot.
The game in its release had too many bugs, and perhaps that situation accentuated its defects, but with the updates it has improved a lot.

The game also has the problem that its market niche is small, and players would probably expect a racing game on the Dakar scenario. The developers must be congratulated because the game transmits the essence of the rally in huge stages where getting lost or stuck in the mud can make you lose the race.

With regard to Dakar 19 I just hope that they have learned a lot from the current version and launch a much more polished product that improves the weak points.

Doubtless Dakar had issues, what is weird is how the sim 'community' is with games...
KartKarft was/is in a dire state yet the community collectively gave it a thumbs up and a free pass on its many issues.
Yet Dakar got ripped a new one.
Difference being the devs on KK followed the SMS approach of the 'cult of the personality' and got an army of attack dogs to blindly support them because a sad manchild gets to say they 'spoke to a bloke who works for them on the internet'........
See above post where some bloke who is on discord with the Dakar devs is a supporter of them just because he is made to fee 'important'....
SMS got the community to help make PCars 1 and 2 and both game are riddled with bugs still!!!

That along with a dose of sites and youtubbers getting bribes to fawn over games etc....

Just keep and open mind and remember steam refund policy is your friend.......
Purchase on steam play it for 2 hours... if not for you refund...... if you like it refund it on steam then go to instant gaming and buy it for 15 quid!

Or simply wait for steam sales..... easy...

See above post where some bloke who is on discord with the Dakar devs is a supporter of them just because he is made to fee 'important'....
It has nothing to do with feeling important. We have invited you and everyone else as well. If you come over to the Dakar 18 Discord channel you will find out the Devs and lot of rabid fans of the Dakar spend their days together there with deep passion for the game, and for the race. And for that matter, Africa Eco Race, the Silk Road, others.

Seriously, I hope you do not get some idea I am a young kid with a need for... I dunno what. I am old and retired and the first racing series I developed on the Internet was the Enduro 24 back in early 90's using IndyCar 2. Some folks might remember that, remember me, from MIRacing.I waited all my life for racing sims to come along, but the PC did not hit the market till I was over 40.

Every day I wake up and my fingers and eyesight and reflexes get a touch worse. I own PC2 and F1 2018 and iracing and all the dirt series and gtr2 and legends and still gtr, and every version of the nascar series starting back with the first sierra version all those cds and such right in front of me.

At my age I cannot compete in the great sims that I dearly wish existed when I was young. I am, however very good, excellent at very hard long endurance racing, and pretty good at rally even still. I became a fan of the Dakar almost from the first day of the first race, always reading the stories and all.

I am too old to race toe to toe with fastest and the best on clean tracks in short races. I am also old enough to be very seasoned and can pace myself, and judge how to avoid damage and take the time to think my way through things that I could never have managed 40-50 years ago, with the willpower and tenacity to go on for many long hours.

The Dakar is perfect for me, that is why I drive it. Because among the people who really love it I am among the very best of the best. Not because I am fast, because I am old and very experienced. I support this game not because I need to feel important, rather because I want to drive the Dakar before I leave this Earth sometime in the next few years.

I had my first go on the game last night, it's a bit overwhelming at first go, and definitely simulates the mechanics/systems/roadbook/surfaces of the Dakar. The handling might be a bit soft (though 900 degrees G27 was tiring after a very short while).

It's incredibly easy to get lost (one stage is over 700km long!), but at least I could jump out of my car and run away into the sea on one stage (lol, I got disqualified!). The roadbook/cap system needs learning, I need to spend some more time on that. And getting stuck in deformable surfaces (mud/sand/etc) is a real possibility (and as frustratingly boring as real life might be!).

It's an incredible achievement. If you want a basic arcade experience Dakar, try the Broadsword developed Dakar game from years ago! Dakar 19 and onwards can only get better!

If they had more realistic physics then i wouldnt care much for general bugs that can be fixed. What i seen though the physics makes it seem rather arcade. I would really love a Dakar sim if it was more realistic.

I had my first go on the game last night, it's a bit overwhelming at first go, and definitely simulates the mechanics/systems/roadbook/surfaces of the Dakar. The handling might be a bit soft (though 900 degrees G27 was tiring after a very short while).

Welcome to the dunes. Using 900 degrees really can be exhausting, but you will want that with 100% sensitivity in wheel software ad in the game. also Zero linearity. It is exhausting after an hour of bumps and jumps and rocky surfaces and such but will give much more control.

Learning navigation, I have a couple tips. First do not bother with rookie difficulty except maybe to just crash through a stage and see what it looks like, this difficulty level makes it harder to learn the navigation by giving you your direction on the HUD.

Next realize that the roadbook note is giving you the CAP from the center of the current note to the center of the next note. So when you hit the turning point slow down enough to be able put yourself on that imaginary line. If it is a hairpin slow down enough to perform a hairpin at the turning point rather than a turn with a 2 kilometer radius which will through off your path forever.

You will find your next note if you stay within 8 degrees or so even 13 degrees on short stretches but you need to narrow that way down to maybe 4-6 degrees on long runs between notes. I always get the feeling of danger when he I am off road and he says 38 Ks off track, there are only a few that long but man they require severe concentration to hit.

When travelling on CAP sometimes there will be obstacles you have to go around, earlier stages are mostly shorter distances between notes, but later 20+ kilometers requires far greater accuracy. To deal with this, whenever possible turn to CAP and find a feature on the horizon, then as you swerve around rocks and trees and severe terrain and avoids deep wadis and steep dunes and fesh fesh you can put yourself back on the correct path by aiming for the distant object.

Good luck if you need anything or want to do some MP hit us up on Discord on the official Dakar 18 channel.

See you in the Dunes

If they had more realistic physics then i wouldnt care much for general bugs that can be fixed. What i seen though the physics makes it seem rather arcade. I would really love a Dakar sim if it was more realistic.
The thing is, as I've mentioned many times, Dakar 18 is not a game about the most realistic simracing physics model. It's a game about the experience of racing in the Dakar rally. Not every racing game needs top physics, and this IMO is one of them. Yes, it would be nice if the physics was better, and I hope they improve it for 19, but again, it's not a game about physics. It still has a lot to offer despite arcade-ish physics, provided one can tolerate playing anything other than a sim with an elaborate physics model.

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 137 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 190 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 376 28.3%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 517 38.9%