Featured DAKAR 18 Update Now Includes 'Generic Device Handling' Support

Discussion in 'Dakar 18' started by Paul Jeffrey, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +17,322
    DAKAR 18 Update 0.8.png
    A brand new DAKAR 18 update has arrived, adding amongst many other things generic wheel, pedal and gearstick support to the simulation.

Post release updates have been coming in thick and fast for DAKAR 18 in recent weeks, and version 0.8 deployed earlier today could be one of the most important of all - Bigmoon Studios having worked hard in recent times to bring a first pass at generic wheel and pedal support to a title very badly needing more attention in this all important area of any modern racing simulation.

Although it is without doubt that the inclusion of in game device configuration wizard will be the most notable and pleasing introduction to the title, it is well worth noting the sheer scale of the latest build release to DAKAR 18 today.. with plenty of attention having been lavished on the simulation throughout the base game.

The new build v0.8 for PC platforms is available now, with console version to receive the new update once it has passed the respective approvals processes.

PC - v0.8 Patch Update.

This patch mainly focuses on generic device handling and introduces a new Device Manager and a new Device Wizard to help players configure their steering wheel / pedals / gear shifter / handbrake in a generic, simple and in-game way.

We feel this new functionality is ready, although, should you encounter any issues, please report back and we will promptly do our best to fix it as this is still an evolving feature and we intend to make it the best possible with your support.

We tweaked the steering wheels code. If you find any issues with your device, we recommend to access the Control Settings and "Reset to Defaults".

New Features:
    • New: In-game devices wizard
    • New: In-game device manager
    • New: Generic steering wheel, pedals, shifter and handbrake support
    • New: Gear shifter inputs support
    • New: Steering linearity in controls options
    • New: Gearbox type "Manual H Pattern"
    • New: Gearbox type "Manual H Pattern + Clutch"
    • New: It is now not possible to engage a gear without pressing clutch when using ManualHPattern + clutch type of gearbox
    Features improved:
    • Improved: Fanatec steering wheel force feedback support
    • Improved: Updated Road Book of Stage 14
    • Improved: Updated Road Book of Stage 6B and subtitles
    • Improved: Updated Road Book of Stage 12
    • Improved: Sensibility and inverted camera options for vehicles and characters
    • Improved: Rebind tweaked to allow user to begin input action rebind with one input device and then press a key with another input device
    • Improved: General vehicle steering behavior (less understeer throughout)
    • Improved: Cockpit / Hood camera inertia
    • Improved: Real Time ranking during race now shows the number of validated waypoints by each team
    • Improved: Front camera on trucks now at windshield height, not bumper height
    • Improved: Vehicles decreased steering with speed was too high (this is ignored for wheel devices)
    • Improved: Rain effect improvements and other particles
    General Bugs fixed:
    • Fixed: Engine audio could stop playing during gameplay
    • Fixed: Steering limited by speed when using a steering wheel device
    • Fixed: Handbrake input issues
    • Fixed: SteamVR and OculusVR starting up on game startup
    • Fixed: Blown tires sometimes cause vehicle to become non drive-able
    • Fixed: AI had trouble at a CP when tires were too damaged
    • Fixed: In Multiplayer when leaving a CP, clients may end up with wrong gear
    • Fixed: Sometimes state of game become corrupted after finishing a stage
    • Fixed: Sometimes game freezes when crossing the finish line
    • Fixed: When on a treasure hunt, driven kilometers were not counted
    • Fixed: Steering lerp are disabled when using keyboard / mouse / gamepad while a steering wheel was connected
    • Fixed: Having a disqualify right after a checkpoint save game, sometimes enter an endless loop when loading last waypoint
    • Fixed: Characters can damage vehicles by hitting them
    • Fixed: In splitscreen when changing game settings, only the first player is notified
    • Fixed: Overall career rankings could become wrong when progressing through the career stages
    • Fixed: Inconsistent career overall rankings
    • Fixed: Force feedback was not stopped when alt-tabbing
    • Fixed: At the Bivouac, the Road Book part "B" wasn't visible
    • Fixed: Mirror render targets were not affected by day time
    • Fixed: The total number of waypoints on the progression bar is now correct
    • Fixed: Cyril Despres Peugeot 3008 texture error
    • Fixed: After leaving control points in auto pilot mode, the vehicle current gear is now properly maintained even if it changes from automatic to manual gear box
    • Fixed: Profile bar not showing the correct amount of DPs on main menu
    • Fixed: Issues with multiple hooks in MP
    • Fixed: Road Book on Stage12A Note 52 wrong CAP
    • Fixed: Road Book on Stage13B Note 82 wrong Kilometers

DAKAR 18 is available for £39.99 on Steam now.

To keep in touch with all the latest news from this simulation, and to share the excitement with your fellow fans of the great event, be sure to check out the Dakar 18 sub forum right here at RaceDepartment.com!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Instagram
    Youtube
    Twitch

Does wheel support now work for you in DAKAR 18? What do you think of the latest update? Let us know your thoughts in the comments section below!

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  2. JERACERX

JERACERX

Ratings:
    +9
    Thank God they fixed the standings bug, that was annoying the hell out of me

• Beer Beer x 1
  3. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Moving Chicane Premium

Ratings:
    +3,367
    I quite like the update, they did a nice job adding the input device manager (for the most part - it still has some quirks) and the H-shifter option is great to have for the trucks.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Merlin59

Merlin59

Ratings:
    +7
    They keep this up and I may have to go look at it again. Then again we'll see. Does show a dedication to supporting it at the very least.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  5. johndough247

johndough247
    Premium

Ratings:
    +172
    Wow, 8 updates within the first month of release...they really are trying hard, I'll give them that. Glad to hear about the device manager being added.

I always thought this game had potential, but I put this game on my 'no buy' list after seeing the videos of the initial release. However, if they keep updating/improving/adding features at this rate, I may give it a chance in the coming months, especially if it gets discounted during the Steam winter sale.

Have you tried the Manual H-pattern + Clutch option? I have a few questions for you:
    1. Will the transmission get damaged if you shift without the clutch?
    2. Will it go into gear even if you don't use the clutch?
    3. Does the clutch seem digital or is it analog?

6. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Moving Chicane Premium

Ratings:
    +3,367
    I have, but only briefly, so...

1. I honestly don't know, I didn't pay enough attention to that. Might test that tomorrow if I have time. But I would expect it does get damaged.
    2. If you select the H-shifter + Clutch transmission option, then no, you have to use clutch while shifting, otherwise you'll just get stuck in neutral. It's even specifically stated in the changelog ;) Doesn't seem like you can do clutchless revmatched shifts either, though, but maybe it was just me not getting it right.
    3. Don't really know how to answer, clutch mostly feels digital to me anyway in sims. I guess there's a bite point and all that, but again, I didn't really pay enough attention to that. The pedal definitely responds as analog in the input device menu. (Handbrake can also be analog now, but again, not sure how it feels/works in the game as I don't have analog handbrake.)

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ilya Malyuev

Ilya Malyuev

Ratings:
    +132
    Only sim car I found with quite real-ish clutch behaviour is Stock Car Resurrection mod for rF2. With that mod you feel the clutch bite point, and (not sure if it is real with those cars at all, but...) you can drive off your clutch if you maintain it's position in bite point and slowly release it, but if you drop it the car will stall.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BrettSinclair1

BrettSinclair1

Ratings:
    +14
    Good job!
    No onto the cars feeling (judging from videos here) like they weight 50 kg and have no offroad suspension whatsoever.

9. Mitja Bonca

Mitja Bonca
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2,176
    How about the physics? Is it worth of buying it?

• Beer Beer x 1
  10. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Moving Chicane Premium

Ratings:
    +3,367
    It's absolutely not worth buying for physics, no. This isn't a game about driving physics.

• Beer Beer x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. E304LIFE

E304LIFE

Ratings:
    +18
  12. Mitja Bonca

Mitja Bonca
    Premium

Ratings:
    +2,176
    LOL, so why bothering so much, if not do the last few % of the game. Cannot understand that.

13. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Moving Chicane Premium

Ratings:
    +3,367
    @Mitja Bonca I don't understand what you're trying to say to me, sorry.

14. JZStudios

JZStudios

Ratings:
    +0
    What kind of wheel do you have? They've mentioned some FFB improvements, but it was apparently quite bad at release. Was it similar to any other game? I dunno, The Crew maybe?

15. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Moving Chicane Premium

Ratings:
    +3,367
    No changes in FFB I could notice so far. And it's generally kinda meh (at least on my T300), a lot of the time there's not much going on except for basically rumble, which is a bit too strong for my tastes as well - the FFB kinda gets lost under it. The biggest issue with the FFB I'd say is that it is missing some kind of centering force and/or steering torque, so I tend to set the centering spring in the wheel's control panel to about 25 percent instead of using the "by the game" setting. Can't think of a game to compare the FFB to, sorry, and certainly don't remember The Crew FFB at all. I'd say it's overall passable for the kind of game this is, but I guess that means many here would find it completely unusable.

16. RufGTI

RufGTI

Ratings:
    +104
    As a commuter I would like to play this during the week on my laptop using a gamepad. So I wouldn't care that much about realism/physics but what is the graphical performance like?

17. Damage Inc

Damage Inc

Ratings:
    +303
    Support is impressive, WAY better than TTIOM support....basically support has gone for that game :(

Still waiting for a sale though.

Because some people want the experience of navigating the Dakar event. I don't play TTIOM for the physics (they are awful) I play it because the IOM course is incredibly detailed. Physics are not the be all and end all, otherwise we can just have the most realistic physics but crappy wireframe graphics...who cares as long as the physics are 100% eh?

Do I want the physics better? Hell yeah.

Do I understand why they arn't? Hell yeah again

Would I rather no game at all? Hell no.

It would be nice to have awesome game + awesome graphcis + awesome physics + awseome content.....sadly that's pretty much impossible.

• Agree Agree x 3
  18. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Moving Chicane Premium

Ratings:
    +3,367
    Exactly this.

(And now I also got what the guy was trying to say before, I was genuinely lost with that sentence...)

• Like Like x 1
  19. farjam

farjam

Ratings:
    +115
    Hey man
    how is the performance of the game? and on which graphic card?
    thanks

20. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Moving Chicane Premium

Ratings:
    +3,367
    @farjam I have no real issues running it at solid 60 fps in 1900x1200 on GTX 970 with i5 2500k at 4.5GHz with medium to high settings. There are some framerate drops occassionally (or at least there were with the .07 version), but there are also some tweaks available to improve the performance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.