Featured DAKAR 18 Update 7 Now Live

Discussion in 'Dakar 18' started by Paul Jeffrey, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +17,898
    DAKAR 18 Update 7.jpg
    Bigmoon Entertainment deployed the seventh update to DAKAR 18 on PC last night, adding yet more improvements to what is a rapidly developing game...

Having come in for some heavy criticism due to the seemingly unfinished state of development when DAKAR 18 released to the public back on September 25th, Bigmoon Entertainment appear to be working tirelessly behind the scenes to bring about considerable change and improvements to DAKAR 18, a refreshing approach from the new development team and one that stands them in good stead for the future of this obviously promising racing title.

Releasing the seventh patch to the game in just 12 days, build 0.7 again looks to address some of the most commonly found issues with the title, whilst also adding yet more much needed support for steering wheel support.

You can check out the full (PC) update notes below...

DAKAR 18 Update 7 Notes:

We tweaked the steering wheels code. If you find any issues with your device, we recommend to access the Control Settings and "Reset to Defaults".

Features improved:
    • Improved: AI driving is now more realistic
    • Improved: AI behavior changes according to the difficulty mode more noticeable
    • Improved: Truck tires' damage adjusted
    • Improved: Better UI display when picking up a treasure in Treasure Hunt mode
    • Improved: Peugeot 205 T16 engine and gearbox improved (it now reaches a top speed of 170km/h)
    • Improved: Wheel particle system management on a world shift
    • Improved: Server list now shows server state ('Lobby' or 'In Progress')
    General Bugs Fixed:
    • Fixed: NPC vehicles disappeared during world shift
    • Fixed: Some assets had glitches and could end up with different visuals during world shift
    • Fixed: Issue with landscape lowest LOD showing for a few frames after a world shift
    • Fixed: Problem where binding an input, the player could end up stuck
    • Fixed: Some bushes were seen inside the cockpit
    • Fixed: Painted green the path on Stage 11 note 30

DAKAR 18 is available for £39.99 on Steam now.

To keep in touch with all the latest news from this simulation, and to share the excitement with your fellow fans of the great event, be sure to check out the Dakar 18 sub forum right here at RaceDepartment.com!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Instagram
    Youtube
    Twitch

Share with us your DAKAR 18 thoughts! What do you like most about the game? What needs further attention? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    • Like Like x 7
    • Haha Haha x 1
  2. Koen Verlinde

Koen Verlinde

Ratings:
    +142
    How can a fully released game still pretend to be at 0.7?

• Haha Haha x 6
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. LoeVG

LoeVG

Ratings:
    +22
    Should've kept it behind the scenes. This show is horrible.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
  4. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Moving Chicane Premium

Ratings:
    +3,491
    Not sure if it's a horrible show, but as a Dakar game, I'm actually enjoying it quite a lot. In less than a week, I went from "what have I done with my money" to "can't wait to do another stage tonight". (Where "do another stage" means driving for 40+ minutes in desert and both on and off road looking for waypoints while trying hard to not hit some hidden rock that would put me out of the race permanently.)

Saying "they shouldn't have released it like that" really brings nothing new to the table after basically two weeks of everyone saying that. We all know that, it's not some revelation at this point, and it would be great if you managed to move on.

• Like Like x 14
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Beer Beer x 3
    • Love Love x 1
  5. Piotr Dul

Piotr Dul
    Sunday Driver Premium

Ratings:
    +134
    Steering wheel support is still poor and game lacks many features but I do enjoy driving it with a Xbox 360 controller. Love the navigating/finding path/waypoints part of the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. Durge Driven

Durge Driven

Ratings:
    +227
    I have this no vibration, good handling, controller movements are fast smooth etc as far as I can tell being only pad I ever owned

https://www.pccasegear.com/products/42078/thrustmaster-gp-xid-pro-gamepad-for-pc

I love this new lurk of laying back on bed in front of 40" playing sims lol

My definitions of sims = simulation whether its physics or other things

If Dakar was plain car track title you would not look at it, who would, you may as well drive Grid ( no offence meant )

I can't believe so many wrote this off quoting some Jimmy does Dakar video where he drove like a rookie, he treats ATS /ETS with the same disdain hehehe ;)
    Someone buy him a gamepad for reviews of titles use them well :)

Like no one here is going to tell me ATS has better physics then Dakar, yet that is popular :O_o:
    Barely anyone even mentions physics in ATS/ETS :O_o:

IE: They don't cry about it like grownups in Dakar are just because they want to believe developer hype. ........ good grief lol

Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  7. Durge Driven

Durge Driven

Ratings:
    +227
    Interesting aspect about trucks in sims ( including Dakar )

Where with street cars in sims users get a good impression from wheel and controllers compared to their street rides ..... .I think that is fair enough to say

Unless you have drove a truck you have no clue what it's like

Unless you use a Kenworth sized steering wheel and bigger heavier pedals and shifters you get no idea

So profound is the experience working with trucks when you get out end of day and hop in your car it feels like a toy in your hands .......for the first mile or two.

That never stops ! happens every single day, I am sure any trucker will back me up

You just can't get that from truck sims, would not matter how good the physics, chassis , tyres were ;)

• Like Like x 3
  8. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN
    DirtT Tuned Motorsports

Ratings:
    +1,500
    Any RL offroaders or Overlanders here with the game that can give some feedback on the physics ?

Cheers

9. Ludwig von Mises

Ludwig von Mises

Ratings:
    +17
    Clesio Maestrelli is in our WRC 7 league. He was Mauricio Neves' co-driver in the VW Tuareg in 2011, teammate of Sainz, Miller and De Villiers. He has classified the navigation as 95% accurate (barring the fact that the km in game are on a 1/4 or 1/5 scale. Of course he has also criticized the physics. Even myself as an armchair physics "guru" I can tell that it is not good at all.

But the game is different, authentic and epic in scope. Honestly when you're trying to navigate, keep an eye on ten things at once while not crashing it's easy to overlook the physics. Dakar 18 is offering a unique experience and I don't think the iffy physics should stop any car fan from trying the game. It really is something completely different and a solid effort for a first title in an officially sanctioned motorsports game (which we all know brings tough and unrealistic contractual deadlines).

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Beer Beer x 2
  10. GPL

GPL

Ratings:
    +14
    Does the rain still look like an "add-on" layer over the screen with rain drops falling away from your vehicle? I found it very unrealistic and distracting.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Kurupt CDN

Kurupt CDN
    DirtT Tuned Motorsports

Ratings:
    +1,500
    Thanks for the reply!

Is there a damage model for the suspension and tires?

• Like Like x 1
  12. Ludwig von Mises

Ludwig von Mises

Ratings:
    +17
    I'm pretty sure it's using some kind of standard Unreal Engine rain and yes, it seems like just a plugin that "makes" the weather change. In hood and external views it doesn't bother you at all. Barely any drops on the screen. Reflections on the wet ground, and especially when there are puddles next the road, can look pretty spotty and make the road hard to distinguish at times. In cockpit cam the rain does build up on the windscreen and block your vision, but even having the wipers on intermittent is enough to keep the windshield clear.

Most of the main components of a car are present and are worn throughout the stage. The damage model is very simplistic. The tires suffer progressive degradation. Worn fronts induce understeer while worn rears induce oversteer. A hard hit over a rock can puncture a tire. The radiator and transmission also affect the car, reducing speed and acceleration. 80 km/hr head-on into a rock or building will be instant retirement. It seems that the suspension at 1% performs the same as at 100% so it is not gradual. At lease I haven't felt any progressive issue with suspension wear. Once that last 1% is damaged the car stops and you have to repair.

I am on v1.02 on PS4 Pro and have completed and won the rally on medium difficulty. It took me about twelve hours (could be done in ten if I didn't get lost). I will wait until one of the newer PC patches arrives before doing it on Legend, which promises more punishing damage and faster AI. The recent patches have lots of tweaks to the AI, graphics and damage model not to mention that v1.02 has a woeful G29 implementation. So I kind of feel like I just took a release candidate version of the game for a spin, and I will now wait for the latest patches before doing it again on Legend.

• Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  13. apex11

apex11

Ratings:
    +407
    Why is it that PCars got to pretty much get away with the first game being released and patched like what 10 times, for some really basic stuff and also people talking about it as work in progress etc lovingly.
    The only thing wrong that the devs for this Dakar game did is not to have a ready made army of fanboys ready to be called upon to swoop into any threads and be rude to people....and an utter Bell of of head of studio....

• Haha Haha x 4
    • Beer Beer x 1
  14. LibranRabbit

LibranRabbit

Ratings:
    +16
    Has anyone got triple screens working yet??? apart from all the other non working parts...

15. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Moving Chicane Premium

Ratings:
    +3,491
    People have been playing the game on triple screen, but the game doesn't support actual triple screen, so it's just a stretched image.

16. CosmicPigeon

CosmicPigeon

Ratings:
    +1
    I think the full version number is 1.0.7

17. Pharrellw

Pharrellw

Ratings:
    +1
    la gente analiza cosas absurdas como el volante, que si la triple pantalla estirada etc. Se parece al dakar? Si, te puedes perder? Si, te da sensación de un mundo abierto? SÏ. variedad de vehiculos? Sí. Puedes dejar la etapa y empezar por donde ibas? bueno...que cumple con su función y punto pelota.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  18. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Moving Chicane Premium

Ratings:
    +3,491
    Not that it matters all that much, since it's just an arbitrary number anyway, but the version number of the update is also not 0.7, but .07, same with the other updates and hotfixes before.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Moving Chicane Premium

Ratings:
    +3,491
    There's been a fairly big .08 update released. It includes a completely new input device manager which should extend support for control devices including multiple control devices, and among other things, the game now also finally supports clutch and has an H-shifter option.

• Like Like x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.