Featured DAKAR 18 Update 10 is Here

Discussion in 'Dakar 18' started by Paul Jeffrey, Dec 13, 2018.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +18,628
    DAKAR 18 Update 10.jpg
    DAKAR 18 fans rejoice! The tenth major build update to this vast simulation has been released earlier today.

10 updates in the space of just under three months in no small undertaking, and as such we really should take a moment to commend Big Moon Studios for the seemingly tireless work that has been undertaken since DAKAR 18 released back on September 25th, and the latest update certainly goes a long way towards moving the title that much closer to a fully fleshed out racing simulation.

Of course while we heap praise on the studio we must remember that the title did ship in what was a pretty poor state, necessitating the requirement to produce so many post release updates, but with that potentially marked down as first release mistakes for the young development team, the rate of improvements seen since that big day have indeed been impressive.

The new release from earlier today is no less impressive than previous build updates, with some very healthy moves made towards putting the pieces in place to help this very impressive simulation reach the potential is so regularly displays.

Highlights from the latest build update include further work towards better wheel support, various gameplay improvements and some early work towards supporting upcoming DLC content for the title.

Update 10 Release Notes:
    • Added the “QUICK RACE” in the Explore Menu. Now the players will be able to perform a time trial with any single stage, with any vehicle, at any time, without needing a career.
    • Added the “DAKAR SERIES” menu to support DLC content
    • Added the rotation angle definition in the Options (from 180º to 1080º) for the Steering Wheels
    • Added the Game Option to hide the pilot's hands in the Cockpit view
    • Added the Game Option to hide the steering wheel in the Cockpit view
    • Added the possibility to return back to the Main Menu from the Bivouac
    • Added the Race Time, Repair Time and Penalty Time in the Stage Rankings
    • Added the possibility for the AI competitors to receive penalties and repair times
    • Added celebrating animations when picking up a Treasure
    • Added the confirmation message informing players that a treasure hunt has been completed
    • Added the confirmation message in the Bivouac, informing if the vehicle has not been Repaired and/or the Road Book has not been painted
    • Added the digging and recovery board instructions to the tutorial
    • Added the Option to disable camera inertia in the Game Options
    • Added the HUD information warning when you’re over the Speed limit
    • We've also added some fixes and improvements.
    At the time of writing (13.12.18) the new update is only available for Steam PC versions of the title. It is expected that console versions of DAKAR 18 will be updated following successful approvals process with the respective console manufacturers.

DAKAR 18 is available for £39.99 on Steam now.

To keep in touch with all the latest news from this simulation, and to share the excitement with your fellow fans of the great event, be sure to check out the Dakar 18 sub forum right here at RaceDepartment.com!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Instagram
    Youtube
    Twitch

• Like Like x 9
  2. Boby Kim

Boby Kim

Ratings:
    +463
    For the sake of the comment...otherwise it's so sad...

• Haha Haha x 1
  3. Kompressor

Kompressor

Ratings:
    +0
    So many people demanded steering wheel support just to forget about the game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Beer Beer x 1
  4. whip

whip

Ratings:
    +137
    your atricles really should be more neutral, you appear to suck up to every game

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. Bram Hengeveld

Bram Hengeveld
    RaceDepartment Founder Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +17,792
    If you can do a better job we happily feature your neutral articles to the frontpage. Just give me a headsup (via a tag or a PM) when the first one is online and we'll review it and promote it to a larger audience on the frontpage. You'll be doing Paul a massive favor as he has been doing overtime already this year.

We are community forum and everybody can write stuff on our boards. If it's good and original it definitely gets promoted.

Looking forward to your neutral contribution. Good luck!:thumbsup:

• Like x 15
    • Beer x 13
    • Haha x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 1
  6. Andrea9805

Andrea9805

Ratings:
    +8
    Unfortunately, it took too many months, i checked yesterday and there were only 8 people playing. To me, this game was too ambitious but now they have a base for the next game

7. Neil Farren

Neil Farren

Ratings:
    +66
    Exactly, this is RD! You have try your hardest to be a bit of a dick and moan and sneer about just about everything else on the gaming landscape apart from the select few that are acceptable to the 'real sim racers' :rolleyes:

• Beer Beer x 2
    • Haha Haha x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. gergerger

gergerger

Ratings:
    +93
    I was in for the whole explore experience, but the lack of distance between waypoints makes it linear in more ways than it should. I welcome the adition of a quick race mode, as the whole point of starting every rally from scratch was an instant "would play again" killer.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Tony

Tony
    APIA RACING Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +659
    I only hope your spelling improves if you decide to take up Bram's offer :D:D:D

• Haha Haha x 4
  10. whip

whip

Ratings:
    +137
    yes resort to insults, do you realise how that makes you look?

can't take a little bit of criticism

11. Tony

Tony
    APIA RACING Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +659
    It was not an insult , it was an observation

• Beer Beer x 1
  12. Durge Driven

Durge Driven

Ratings:
    +281
    Paul makes every title appear just as good and exciting for it's users ..........surely you get that

Your the pot calling the kettle black anyway you criticized Paul and expect no one to do the same to you :sleep:

• Beer Beer x 1
  13. gamer19

gamer19

Ratings:
    +565
    I'm just happy that Dakar (slowly:)) becoming a force to be reconed with.
    Just look at it's Steam score -
    Recent Reviews:
    Very Positive (21)
    All Reviews:
    Mixed (181)
    from zero to hero you may say. :)
    Shame for this... wrong foot start but now, with one year experience, really looking forward to ther next Dakar. Which, I hope, will come.

• Haha Haha x 1
  14. RomFil

RomFil

Ratings:
    +7
    this is an indie game developer level...
    big moon studio by one developer? it's like another game (spin tires) by one developer

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Solyne

Solyne
    Premium

Ratings:
    +6
    I dunno guys, I have completed this title on Legend Difficulty, once. It is brutal beyond compare, and while it does indeed lack the setup options and FFB setup options of other titles, the vehicles are clearly good, and the FFB is very good as well. I do admit that for the first month of 6 weeks it was impossible to play. Bigmoon had no idea what a Sim Racer was, but I am continuous contact with the DEVs and they have huge heart and passion for this race. The two additional races Ruta 40, and Inca are being added in the next few weeks. These are a couple shorter raids leading up to the Dakar.

The world is enormous, and the average stage takes an hour to run, approximately 1/6 as long as real life Dakar. The weather is magnificent, from the blowing sands over the dunes in Peru to powerful storms of Bolivia and the mists of Argentina, you can almost taste it.

The varying texture of the sand, and each of the hundreds of types can be felt through the wheel, and heard through your speakers, some so slick and soft you slide down off the hill you are trying to climb sideways, some like marbles outside the racing lane, and many in between.

The varying road surfaces are a beauty to behold, some so rough but straight and generally flat, so there you are white knuckles trying to hold the car on line at 160 kph when your keyboard bounces off the desk and your medicine is falling off the shelf above and you better try and grab that coffee cup in time. When you hit the water you feel the resistance, every bump rips the wheel against you.

The terrain is staggering, no repeats of the same old rock over and over no repeats of the same old tree, though I think all the cacti look alike, LOL.

10-14 hours off road, varying terrain varying danger, every waypoint another trap, rock climbs, mud holes, and silt jumps so severe they destroy your car, bike, or side by side.

Dakar 18 is not what many call a racing sim, but that is because they have no driven it. I have driven everything since World Circuit on my first PC back in the early 90's, and every simulator I could find of every type from 1965 until World Circuit. I am here to tell you that to say, "Oh you cannot set your rebound dampers," is a cop-out. Dakar 18 is young, new, and entirely different from anything you have every driven before, and is well worth the effort to drive.

What remains unsaid is that it is so hard to complete, the learning curve for navigation is difficult, the learning curve for surviving the race is brutal, and the physical work of driving it is punishing.

I recommend FFB settings to about 75%, wheel set at 900 degrees, zero linearity, and 100% sensitivity.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +18,628
    Hello,

I'm just noticing this comment now, so apologies for the late reply :)

Firstly thank you for the comment (no, that isn't said sarcastic, it is genuine). I appreciate feedback, I'm certainly no professional, but I'm interested to hear critique and learn from it to produce a better experience for the reader / viewer.

I take on board what you say, and although I don't particularly like the tone, I appreciate the sentiment. I must say you are with merit in your observations, as I am conscious that I do tend to see the positive side of things in life more than the negative, and I'm in love with sim racing in a very big way, so this does often mean I have to consciously check myself to ensure I don't get too enthusiastic in my writing.

However, I do think on this occasion the criticism is unjustified. I'll tell you why, although you are of course free to agree or disagree as you so choose!

In modern gaming to release 10 updates, in a relatively short space of time, and some of which have been substantial, is impressive, and does show commitment. For that, I think any developer deserves praise. However, that praise does need to be tempered with note to the fact the game actually needed those 10 updates to be semi reasonable, which I believe I did as part of paragraph three (quote below):

Again though, I end by saying this could be potentially marked down as first release mistakes for the young development team, which is entirely fair, as this is indeed their first release, and they have acknowledged what is wrong, and seemingly worked overtime to resolve those issues.

With regards to the game itself, the scope of what they wished to achieve, namely a simulation of the sheer vastness and difficulty of the DAKAR Rally, they appear to have achieved rather successfully. They never stated this would have class leading physics (which it doesn't), however one remains hopeful this element of the sim will be improved in future releases.

So again back to the original point, my apologies if this is the way you feel. I have taken on board your comments, and will look with fresh eyes at how things like this are approached in future.

I do what I do because I want to give back to something that means a lot to me (sim racing), and I firmly believe RD is the best place for sim racing in the world - which is why I'm proud to represent this wonderful website, and community. That isn't something I take lightly, and my desire to produce content that informs, entertains and most importantly of all - is respected and trustworthy, is my goal, my end result, my panacea. If I'm falling short of these standards, real or perceived, then that is of great concern to me, and I will work to address it.

Thank you,

Paul

• Like Like x 2
    • Beer Beer x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. BlindDeadMacSlow

BlindDeadMacSlow

Ratings:
    +24
    Personally I think Paul, Bram & the team do a bloody good job at bringing news to the forefront. I for one would miss a lot of the news if it wasn't for their efforts. They burn the candle at both ends sometimes to keep this community alive & vibrant, keep you at the user end informed. You can decide for yourself if a game or patch is pants without resorting to sniping. Appreciate all your hard work Paul.:thumbsup:

• Love Love x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Solyne

Solyne
    Premium

Ratings:
    +6
    The Developers have stated clearly that Dakar 19 is already in production. They have a team on the ground in Peru, I have seen some of the photos of their crew with Race Teams there. They are continuing to improve 18, but at some point will probably go full throttle on 19.

I think the easy part for them might actually be the environment. They have built the model of thousands of square miles of Peru and you can drive all over the country in Dakar 18, so maybe they have only to build the RoadBooks, which should be fairly easy, the Navigator sound files which is probably a nightmare, and focus on physics and the cars.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.