All new games must have VR, does it have it? Cant get exited about it yet, the video has no real gameplay footage. Never know it might be decent, long shot I feel.

I was watching Dakar 2018 on TV this week and thought... how cool would it be to have a Dakar game... and here it is! I wonder if it is going to break force feedback wheels...:confused: It needs to simulate that as well looking at real life Dakar footage. Will become and very expensive game though that way.;)

was watching Dakar 2018 on TV this week and thought... how cool would it be to have a Dakar game... and here it is!

Dakar 2018 Excited.JPG

Yeah know how you feel :D

Hmmmmm. For me, the stills look way better than the video! The movement of the vehicles is just wrong and unphysical (e.g. wtf with the quad-bike at 1:08?) so I seriously hope the game engine wasn't involved with rendering any of that :)

Same FB post linked above is this comment from the devs too.. which could be spectacular if they do it..

"VR is something we have on the wishlist. We'll see if it can be added for the release date, on a laterdate, or skip it entirely until Dakar 19."

Also from the press release ...
DAKAR rally is known as the biggest cross-country rally, so BIGMOON is creating one of the biggest open worlds ever made in a racing simulation. DAKAR 18 is focused on the realism, promising stunning visuals faithfully represent every vehicle and driver of the DAKAR 2018 rally.

This will be an Arcade game. Really no point in thinking or wishing any different. Mass market appeal equals cash in the bank for the developers. However I like sim and arcade games, it does look good.

If this goes one of two ways, I'll be super excited:

1. Real simulation
2. Modern day 1NSANE, maybe mixed with some Fuel.

Either one of those would have me giddy.

... I kind of want to fire up Fuel just for old times' sake, now.

Wee bit excited but not holding my breath. Would be awesome if they delivered. Hope the pc version is proper and not some quirky port.

Edit: not arcade but rally raid simulation according to their facebook page.

Last edited:
If this goes one of two ways, I'll be super excited:

2. Modern day 1NSANE

That is what I want so much!
The 1NSANE soft body philosophy moved through Rigs N Rods to BeamNG now but it's the wrong way I believe. You can simplify the damage calculations to a degree, just add those game modes!
1nsane championship is one of not many single player carreers I completed several times, in joy.

According to the developers, they're aiming for realism and work in cooperation with the real Dakar drivers and riders. (Then again that's what almost every racing game developer always says.) And supposedly the stages should take between 1-2 hourse to complete.

I've already said it elsewhere today - I have very mixed feelings about this. It would be great to have a realistic Dakar game, but currently, it all gives off too much of an arcade game vibe. I'm kinda expecting something along the lines of SLRE at this point - a game that has a great foundation for what could be a great sim, but packaged in a way to appeal to a more general audiences (especially since it's also coming out for PS4 and Xbone), with the two parts not really fitting together and clashing in a way that's just discouraging to a majority on both sides of the fence.

Also - and I've also mentioned it elsewhere - the "1-2 hours per stage" sounds great in a way, but also incredibly demanding and I kinda can't imagine anyone but really hardcore Dakar fans to find interest in that, at least unless there's some kind of saving or checkpointing system implemented. I really don't think there's mass appeal in a game where you're expected to drive for an hour or two to finish a stage.

Thing is, if they actually make the stages 1-2 hours and very hard "if you even manage to finish it". There is no point in having arcade physics and such, it will not appeal to that kind of gaming-time.

I honestly, really hope they go all out on the hardcore line - no, that won't make it the best selling game of the year, but it is more than possible to build up very loyal base by doing that! :)

To me the "18" in the logo design come across a bit like an age rating ;) The movement of the bike in the trailer looked unnatural, perhaps just another arcade style thing. Will wait and see

I kind of stopped following Dakar once the prototypes stopped. The Citroen's were just plain bonkers.

However I still watch some of it each year and the demands of competing in such an event are incredible.

Would a game/sim interest me? Yes I suppose it would. I would imagine two hour stages are similar to the F1 games. You could scale the stages to what you want.

Just waiting for that Fanatec sand blaster add on to appear... :)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back