Featured DAKAR 18: Roadmaps and Navigation Video

Discussion in 'Dakar 18' started by Paul Jeffrey, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +17,485
    Much of the challenge of a successful DAKAR Rally is navigating the harsh terrain, something Bigmoon Studios have worked hard to recreate.

DAKAR 18 will be the first official representation of the legendary DAKAR Rally in a very long time, certainly the first attempt at producing a realistic attempt at recreating the event, and the very first full game from young development team Bigmoon Studios.

We've had plenty of preview images from the impressive scenery in the game already, and we've had quite a bit of information about the sheer scale of the title, Bigmoon promising players an epic 15,000 km² of playable terrain once DAKAR 18 launches on console and PC later this year, but what we've heard little about so far is the navigation system set to play such an important role in the gameplay mechanics - one of the most critical elements of the event for crews to get right should they wish to continue - until now!

DAKAR 18 Roadmap 1.jpg

Bigmoon have confirmed that DAKAR 18 will feature roadbook maps as per the real rally, with players expected to learn and understand the various routes prior to setting of into the massive stages as they race more against the clock and terrain than against fellow competitors. Of course this will be very much a new experience for many players, and should be quite the challenge to master, hence the reason Bigmoon have released arguably one of the least entertaining sim racing videos I've ever seen, in an effort to guide players through the basics of navigation in DAKAR 18.

As I say, it's pretty dull, but useful, so that's ok...

DAKAR 18 Roadmap 2.jpg

DAKAR 18 is scheduled to release September 11th 2018 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

To keep in touch with all the latest news from this simulation, and to share the excitement with your fellow fans of the great event, be sure to check out the brand new Dakar 18 sub forum right here at RaceDepartment.com!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Instagram
    Youtube
    Twitch

Looking forward to mastering the art of navigation in DAKAR 18? What do you think of the game previews and footage / information revealed so far? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 5
  2. Neil Farren

Neil Farren

Ratings:
    +58
    I know this game doesn't look the best and from what we have seen the handling model and physics is not where we would like it to be but I'm so looking forward to playing it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Ayem22

Ayem22
    Banned

Ratings:
    +28
    boring, zzzZZZ, i sleep during i watch the gameplay demo, i think i will sleep in game too.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Haha Haha x 1
  4. LibranRabbit

LibranRabbit

Ratings:
    +16
    They must change the attitude of the navigator, as having an aggressive voice will become very annoying very quickly and most people including myself will turn it off. If I had a navigator that sounded that way(I wouldn’t) I would very quickly pull over, ask him to check the tyres and once he’s outside, drive off without him!

• Haha Haha x 8
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Beer Beer x 1
  5. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Moving Chicane Premium

Ratings:
    +3,401
    That's such a weird video to choose as a following to all the previous action-packed, almost arcadish footage we have seen previously. I thought the remark about the most boring simracing video ever was a bit of a joke, but nope, not really.

I honestly still don't understand who this game is supposed to be for. From what we've seen of the driving part, it really looked very simplistic. But then again it also seems packed with various features you'd likely not expect in a simplistic fun racing game... So yeah, I'm just puzzled.

Then again, weird presentation choices seem to be in style currently. Do they post their development announcements on Linkedin by any chance? :p

• Haha Haha x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. rbt52

rbt52

Ratings:
    +6
    I don't understand the negativity and snarky attitude towards this game. I didn't find the video boring at all - quite the opposite, it made me excited to start exploring the roads after building them up so much. I would even say that the majority of trailers for racing games are much more boring, since they are nothing but the same familiar cars and circuits everyone's seen a million times with some "epic" music on top.

• Agree Agree x 10
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Merlin59

Merlin59

Ratings:
    +8
    Does anyone know if there will be an in car or whatever view? Not a total killer but it certainly would be nice. Thanks and looks different.

8. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Moving Chicane Premium

Ratings:
    +3,401
    @rbt52 I might be snarky, because I honestly am puzzled (and not exactly thrilled) by how the game is presented (I mean honestly, releasing a four minute tutorial video cut straight out of the game that's nothing but text and talking as part of your pre-release campaign is pretty weird, and I'm saying that as someone that actually likes the prospect of the navigation part of the game as well, provided the game has more substance than *just* that) and by what we're seeing, but I'll still give it a fair chance when it's released (or as soon as I can afford it). Which, I'd say, is still more than many people commenting on the game are actually willing to do. Let me be a bit snarky until then.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. johndough247

johndough247
    Premium

Ratings:
    +177
    I think this game has a lot of potential...even if it doesn't have an "rF2 level" physics engine, if the developers can get it to feel right, then it's fine...plus the nagivational aspects of it certainly look fascinating, which I think should add a bit of "sim" aspect to the game, albeit not what most people here on (sim)RaceDepartment have in mind when they hear that 3-letter word. :p

I was on the fence before, but this video pushed me into the "buy if first wave of reviews seem optimistic" category (too bad that's around the time my vacation ends). The only thing that gives me pause is if there will be proper wheel implementation (I see PS4/Xbox controllers featured in the pic) and triple screen support.

Behold (and this was WIP footage from May 2018):

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
    • Beer Beer x 1
  10. Merlin59

Merlin59

Ratings:
    +8
  11. Andy_J

Andy_J
    PC Veteran Gamer and Biker. Premium

Ratings:
    +3,486
    This game looks damn good to me. I am looking forward to it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. RufGTI

RufGTI

Ratings:
    +105
    Hopefully it's possible to destroy Peruvian fossils or Chilean geolyphs. Eat my dust UNESCO!

• Haha Haha x 1
  13. omanrak

omanrak

Ratings:
    +33
    The game was clearly made with gamepads in mind, but it might be worth an hour or two.

14. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,597
    oh boy , so true!

this will make me want to turn him off :(
    hmmm

15. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,597
    plus he also sounds so happy, as if they finished entire Dakar and not just first stage :( sigh
    this video makes me actually not really excited for this after all

16. johndough247

johndough247
    Premium

Ratings:
    +177
    OK...after that video, I think I just hopped back onto the fence...and then belly-flopped over to the other side :roflmao:

3 Reasons:
    1. The tone of the navigator isn't THAT bad (gRally anyone?), but I don't think he shouldn't be going bonkers so early after hitting a waypoint. They advertise the game as giving you freedom, but an ounce of deviation and the navi goes crazy? I know, ideally you should begin your turn to the next waypoint before hitting the current waypoint (as is done in planes if you've flown IRL or a flight sim)...but this is a bit much. Maybe there's an .ini file to tweak that somewhere... :confused:

2. As I said in my previous post, it doesn't need an rFactor 2 level of physics...but it needs SOME believable physics! :O_o: I mean...from 4:15 to about 5:10 was the craziest part for me...there were at least 5 instances where that car should have rolled over. Off-road on sand dunes + erratic movements = no possibility of flipping? C'mon now.

3. It's advertised as having a total area of over 15,000 square km using real cartographic data. Here's a quote from Bigmoon Studios in the comments section of that same YouTube video:

"...However, bear in mind that Dakar 18 is a Rally Raid game and therefore is unlike other racing games. The goal is to navigate through a harsh environment (based on the real countries) and collect the WayPoints before crossing the final line. For that, we created a +18.000Km2 open world that allows players to experience the real sense of navigation and that includes the ability to getting lost too. That being said, we don't focus only on a few Km of track visuals but replicate and manage to stream thousands of km2 as never done before.

This game is based on real local cartography and therefore we didn't make up the environments or roadbooks. They are based on what happened on Dakar Rally 2018 in Peru, Bolivia and Argentina. This stage, for example, has only around 30Km because it's the prologue (not a complete normal stage), also it happens in the middle of the Peruvian desert... we understand your complains about graphics... but, in this stage it's only sand. Other stages have a way richer environment. It depends on the real localization."

- Bigmoon Studios

Bruh. :O_o:

Look at the very start of the run: to cover 1 kilometer in 1 minute IRL you have to be going 60 kph (sustained speed or average speed/min). They do it in 10 SECONDS from standstill with an average speed of approx 56 kph?! Which means they're going 6x faster: 360kph?! :confused: Yet the world doesn't look like it's moving at 360 kph (more like the indicated speed if anything)...so yea...I don't know what they're using to measure, but that sure as hell ain't real world kilometers. :whistling:

I understand if they want to compress the game so you're not playing for 8 hours, as the longest stages in Dakar can take that long in some vehicles, but 6x distance compression seems a bit much...but not if you're making an arcade game I guess. :(

Even as an arcade game, there's still some things they need to fix before release...but I'd love to see a hardcore mode that has less (or no) compression...but then there's still the problem of lacking believable physics :cry:

17. Merlin59

Merlin59

Ratings:
    +8
    Just watched the above video. After that we'll see. Not saying no but maybe just got stronger!

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Tr3voRR

Tr3voRR

Ratings:
    +110
    the clouds

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  19. Damage Inc

Damage Inc

Ratings:
    +303
    I'm still looking forward to this, agree somewhat about the navigators tone of voice, hopefully they'll work on that, I got royally effed off with the first Deus Ex Mankind Divided mission where team mates were shouting at me, it was a sandstorm and I had NO idea what to do......left the game alone for about 6 months after that crap (went back and enjoyed the game once past that crappy bit). This is something new and unique, should be refreshing.

20. Patrik Marek

Patrik Marek
    Premium

Ratings:
    +1,597
    There's definitely time for the devs to tweak it some more, and yes, it's definitely quite unique game
    but yeah,.. not sure at the moment

will wait for some first reviews I suppose

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.