Featured DAKAR 18: New DLC First Drive

Discussion in 'Dakar 18' started by Paul Jeffrey, Feb 9, 2019.

1. Paul Jeffrey

Paul Jeffrey
    RaceDepartment Editor-in-Chief Staff Premium

Ratings:
    +19,339

I took the opportunity to try out the new DLC for DAKAR 18 recently, and I must say, despite the odd "quirk", I'm actually really very pleased with the end result...

I will readily admit that the prospect of a realist simulation of the DAKAR Rally got me all hot under the collar when Bigmoon Entertainment first announced this new licence back in January 2018 - the fabled off road racing marathon having long captured my imagination from the days of the classic Paris - Dakar rally of my youth.

With such spectacular imagery to be found in the famous dunes, legendary drivers and riders and diverse and eclectic collection of vehicles, I often wondered why this most dramatic of racing disciplines never received a proper videogame simulation outside of throwaway arcade offerings... step up new development team Bigmoon Entertainment, forming together to develop and release the very first hardcore simulation of this fantastic racing category.

Having moved from creating graphical assets for the WRC franchise, and making use of the already well proven and spectacular Unreal 4 game engine, I'll admit that the pieces seemed to be falling into place for a very pleasant experience indeed.

I suspect it would be fair to say that the debut of the new title on both console and PC didn't quite pan out exactly like the studio, or the fans, would have liked when it released late on in 2018. Plagued by some unfortunate bugs and hardware compatibility issues from the off, Bigmoon have been busy since launch working on developing the game to meet community expectation, and unearthing the potential that very much exists within the software, despite the best efforts to bury it below layers of confusing design decisions and hardware support omissions.

Those dark early days seem to ever further in the past now, and what's available today is a dramatic improvement over the original release, so much so that the studio have now found themselves in a position to deploy a first new content DLC to the game - for free too!

Although new controller support has been added, some players, myself included, still have difficulty getting their specific equipment to work with the sim. For example, I'm still struggling to get my DD wheel, DSD pedals and Heusinkveld handbrake to recognise in the device controller section, but these issues aside I've decided to bite the bullet and just give it a whirl on my wireless Xbox One controller - and I'm most certainly not disappointed!

So without further ado, check out the video at the head of this article to find out my very first thoughts and impressions of DAKAR 18 - the official videogame of the 2018 DAKAR Rally.

DAKAR 18 is available now.

Like what you see here at RD? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

Instagram
    Youtube
    Twitch

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 5
    • Love Love x 3
    • Haha Haha x 1
  2. BrettSinclair1

BrettSinclair1

Ratings:
    +23
    The physics still look like the cars (and trucks, as in the video!) have no mass and suspension to them. I'd love to like this game, but without believable physics I cannot bring myself to buy it.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    • Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Haha Haha x 1
  3. Solyne

Solyne
    Premium

Ratings:
    +19
    Sure wish you could try it to get a real idea of what it is. I completely understand the argument you make, yet this game is really very good for anyone who like off road racing.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Haha Haha x 1
  4. Ruy Horta

Ruy Horta

Ratings:
    +36
    Following rio = riverbed

• Like Like x 1
    • Haha Haha x 1
  5. johndough247

johndough247
    Premium

Ratings:
    +274
    Can anyone report on how it feels with Fanatec devices (or if they work at all)? After all the updates I'm thinking of buying it now, as I too was dissuaded from buying it after all the initial negative reviews.

• Haha Haha x 1
  6. Alex72

Alex72

Ratings:
    +418
    22:00 Is all i need to see to not get this title. Paul going 70km/h over massive rocks and bumps and the truck isnt even getting a little airborne OR breaking down. Also, that waypoint top screen is just a simplified setting, right?

I wish they wasnt afraid of getting more realistic physics into this title. Maybe 19 will be better. I will at least throw an eye at it when it comes.

• Haha Haha x 1
  7. Solyne

Solyne
    Premium

Ratings:
    +19
    You are watching video of rookie difficulty. on legend if you break and cannot fix you are out. Damage is realistic though scaled according to length of the race in relation to the real dakar, in other work, approximately 1 hour in game for a 5 hour RL run, the car in game takes approximately the same damage as the real car in 5 hours. On Competitor the waypoint indicator is no longer available, on legend if you miss 1 waypoint, you are out. Period.

Physics are not as good as they could be. Yet they are definitely not as bad as everyone who has never played this titled says they are. Seriously, 80% of the people who claim that this title is not worth playing and have all kinds of specific reasons why not could not complete stage 2 on competitor difficulty and got mad. Another 10% have not tried it, and they all say stuff that anyone who had even tried to play this on Legend 1 time knows is dead wrong.

You keep watching rookie difficulty to determine what this game is, and you will never see what it is.

Watch this, and then maybe you will have a clearer picture. This is what the game is for those on Legend Difficulty. Watch closely from maybe 32 minutes to 42 minutes in. If you have questions feel free to PM me, or come to discord channel I am always there along with many others very happy to help show you.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Solyne

Solyne
    Premium

Ratings:
    +19
    I know they have support for them, I sure wish I had Fanatec myself, but life as a retiree on a fixed income…

I saw a video this morning though that maybe you could look at to consider, and if I can find someone I will send them your way. This guy has amazing gear and triple screens, you will see. It looks like he is on Competitor difficulty, with his navigation on, I do not read Spanish so cannot get the specifics,

• Like Like x 1
  9. Cheesenium

Cheesenium

Ratings:
    +41
    I still think Dakar 18 had a good start. Licensed titles could had been a lot worst, like milestone era WRC games. Big moon do seemed like they are passionate with the sport and what they had done to the series was great.

Hopefully the Dakar 19 will be even better.

10. Martin Fiala

Martin Fiala
    Moving Chicane Premium

Ratings:
    +3,750
    Contrary to what you might see in the video, you *do* have to drive carefully and one missed rock or drop can easily end your rally on the spot.

• Beer Beer x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Solyne

Solyne
    Premium

Ratings:
    +19
    Watching his video, I was reminded by something he said of the real Veka Man team, here are a couple videos that are pretty cool

12. Vicitus

Vicitus

Ratings:
    +2
    When you choose the 3rd Person, it´s correct, but when you look from the side, you can notice the suspencion work pretty well.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. johndough247

johndough247
    Premium

Ratings:
    +274
    Thanks for all the videos you posted, it convinced me enough to buy it (and saved 5 bucks with this Steam Lunar new year sale thingy). It's definitely a lot more challenging (in a good way) than a lot of those rookie videos let on...The FFB is better than I thought it would be...It's not the best but it's good enough. Gotta work on understanding the road book because I definitely got lost a few times, but yea it seems like lots of fun so far :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 1
    • Beer Beer x 1
  14. Furious Panda

Furious Panda

Ratings:
    +24
    really want this game, just don't think i can look past the lack of phisics...gutted:( please bigmoon can't you do something with the physics to give the cars more weight and bounce

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  15. Solyne

Solyne
    Premium

Ratings:
    +19
    Get on over to Discord, we have a lot of good folk over there who can help you through the learning curve. Please do not discouraged if Stage 2 defeats you on Competitor a few times. In the real dakar 2018 something half the competitors failed to complete stage 2, in the game it is about the same. We will be there for you.

16. Solyne

Solyne
    Premium

Ratings:
    +19
    They are working on it and have promised a completely new physics package for 19. I heard rumors that they had a strong physics package and then they tried to add it to the massive world something like 6 months before release, and the two were totally incompatible. I honestly do not know if this is true, but it kinda makes sense, physics for a narrow track as opposed to physics for the whole wide world... just seems to make sense to me. Hope to see you in the dunes... maybe not stuck in the sand.

• Like Like x 1
  17. John B. Ellis

John B. Ellis
    Premium

Ratings:
    +6
    Thanks, RD: Finally picked up the game after reading about the many updates, and new DLC. Steam also gave me an unexpected $5.00 off as part of their updated achievement system. Say whatever you like about the title, but the open world of Dakar 18 certainly makes for a refreshingly different--and fun--driving challenge. Soaring over sand dunes, waiting for the impact before mashing the accelerator, all while keeping a steady bearing, is simply wonderful. And hurtling 11/10ths through a dry riverbed, slewing past rocks, will put a smile on your face.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. johndough247

johndough247
    Premium

Ratings:
    +274
    I actually spent some time last night running stage 1 several times so I could get a handle on the roadbook and eventually got 1st place...then came on today and ran stage 2, restarted twice after the first 3 minutes, but after that I made it through the entire stage in one go in about 45 mins (competitor difficulty, I'd do Legend if it was available from the start)...that was really exciting...my poor Montero got quite a beating! When you're nearly 30 minutes into a stage and you think you missed a waypoint, you're worried about getting lost and nothing but towering sand dunes around you, it's quite nerve-racking trying to get your bearings...not to mention retracing your steps over a blind hill, hoping someone else doesn't plow right into you! Been using H-Pattern + Clutch and it works fairly well; had many mis-shifts from shifting too fast, forgetting this is a jeep, not a F1 car!

The physics isn't at the top of the class, but it still feels pretty good and I'm hoping improvements will follow in Dakar 19; it's not as arcade as people assume from just watching a video (I was in the same camp before yesterday)...still on sale for 16 more hours on Steam at 40% off (30% + 10% Lunar sale if you have tokens), grab it for less while you can. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  19. Solyne

Solyne
    Premium

Ratings:
    +19
    Don't worry about position too much on your first run there somewhere around 10-14 hours of intense driving to the finish line. The Dakar Pilots IRL say, "Everyone will get lost, everyone will break down, and everyone will crash. The victor repairs the car, survives the crash, and gets lost less than everybody else."

Listen when you hear the co-pilot say, for example, "500 left to (anything)" When you got 1k and it isn't there you need to start finding your problem. Do not wait for the AI to say we're going the wrong way because he won't notice for 2 or three minutes and then it will be helpless. This is key, if it is not a waypoint, make the turn as if he said no and it is very likely you will catch the next waypoint, (not always).

Good luck in the Dunes, I drove the Mitsi my first time through as well. Say hello to Stage 4 for me, everyone calls it the Meatgrinder. For good reason.

Oh. I started out set with clutch and H-shift. I think maybe you can play with dead zone on clutch so it will not miss so much. You know we never drive it to max in a car...

• Like Like x 1
  20. Jens Roos

Jens Roos
    Premium

Ratings:
    +760
    Looking at bits of the twitch stream it didn't get me interested as it for sure looked very simplified. But after looking at the two videos linked by @Solyne it got me interested (who is not in dakar) so I went for it on the sale. For less than 30 euro and I can refund it within 2h if I get very disappointed.

Of course I expect the physics to be on an ok-ish level, believable so to say, but it will not need to be on "put your favorite sim here"-level as I'm not looking for another race simulator to drive "put you favorite race car here" as I already have a few options of doing that.

So, now I have 2h to get my DD wheel, buttons and pedals to work and try this out :)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.