That doesn't look very promising. Especially the stiff looking physics.
I was saying same thing on 1st preview. It`s like some bad arcade. What a shame it won`t be me (and I am sure for many other sim racers), and it`s a waste of time, at least judging by those few short videos. This will hardly be meant to ps and xbox Sunday drivers :D:D

Without sounding like a broken record, if they are planning on moving onto Dakar 19 after releasing 18, i do hope it means the first game will have all the core mechanics in and done; like good driving and damage physics. Please don't take shortcuts in this department or reason the sequel can be more realistic. Let the first game not be a disappointment as many likely wont buy the sequel or even but 18. Unless your target audience is going to be casual gamers (which that market wouldn't make sense as endurance racing isn't casual play is it?). Get the core mechanics and physics right in the first game and you will have a loyal player base who will buy your titles if you stay on track (excuse the pun). But get 18 wrong and well..there might not be a 19 perhaps if sales arent what you expected. I "really" want this game to be a success, but i wont likely buy (or wait for a cheap sale) it if the physics is going to be arcade level like say 'Baja: Edge of Control' game. And we will have to wait for another developer to get it right in the future, i'm actually surprised Codemasters haven't looked at off-road endurance racing themselves.

But anyway in closing, the main point is i hope the driving and damage physics in the game is high priority (perhaps it is and what we have seen is just early days) if 19 will have improved physics and maybe with a little depth and immersion added in that's all good, but you have to first win over players in Dakar 18. I know this is 101 stuff, but its amazing how many developers get their priorities wrong (and perhaps some of that is at fault of impatient publishers or shareholders) for example look at the recent TT Isle of Man game, amazing looking TT track but the bike handling is sub par to other motorbike titles from what i've read, its possible they might clean that up and improve it along with better rider animations etc in future patches so i might get the game on sale in the future for the experience of its center piece the TT track. But still disappointing, i was on the wait and see fence.

If Dakar 18 is going to take longer to get it right then push release date back, first impressions last as they say. I doubt the Dirt Rally series would still be around today if their first rally title stalled on the start line. Ramble done lol.

I will be shocked if it does have VR.

According to the Website , it will be out in 2019 !!! Screenshot below..View attachment 244169

Does not surprise me, for the game to be released in Q3 - it is to be final somewhere in August to meet hard distribution dates, because that takes some time. That’s 5 months to finalize the game. Well, based on the footage shows my guess is that at least this built is still more than 5 months away from a full release. But who knows, they maybe they did not use the latest built for these movies and maybe they have a big dedicated team working overtime. OTOH, rush jobs are never a good thing.

such huge maps and still running, waaw. i wonder how the damage will be because that is the most intense thing in the Dakar Rally. lets hope for multi usb support on pc version.

Dakar 18 Preview 1.jpg Dakar 18 Preview 2.jpg Dakar 18 Preview 3.jpg Dakar 18 Preview 4.jpg Dakar 18 Preview 5.jpg Dakar 18 Preview 6.jpg
More news from the upcoming DAKAR 18 videogame, this time the announcement of the drivers and machines set to be included in the new title..

DAKAR 18 caused quite a stir when it first announced back in January, and with a release date set for the impressively non-committal "summer 2018", fans have been keen to get more information on this ambitious new racing game. Well after a little break in communication it looks like developers Big Moon Studios have been listening to their followers, confirming that the upcoming new title is set to contain 43 of the best bikes, cars, trucks and quads of the 2018 DAKAR rally....

Featuring five classes of vehicle from the nimble two wheel offroad bikes all the way through to the ridiculous tonnage of racing trucks, DAKAR 18 will be the official game of the legendary DAKAR Rally 2018, and as such Big Moon have been keen to capture many of the riders and drivers of the official series in the new title, giving us plenty of official content to enjoy when the game comes out later this year.

So who exactly is going to be featured in the initial release? Well according to Big Moon we are set to have 13 bikes from four manufacturers, 14 cars across five brands, eight trucks representing four marques, four single brand quads and four SXS machines.

With former WRC champions the likes of Carlos Sainz (senior, not the Renault F1 driver) and Sebastien Loeb, plus big names Mikko Hirvonen and Stephane Peterhansel to name but a few, DAKAR 18 will have plenty of the stars and machines when it finally releases on PC and console later this year...

DAKAR 18 Game Drivers and Riders.jpg

DAKAR 18 is scheduled to release 2018 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4 and PC.

To keep in touch with all the latest news from this simulation, and to share the excitement with your fellow fans of the great event, be sure to check out the brand new Dakar 18 sub forum right here at RaceDepartment.com!

Like what you see here at RaceDepartment? Don't forget to like, subscribe and follow us on social media!

RaceDepartment YouTube
RaceDepartment Twitter
RaceDepartment Facebook
RaceDepartment Twitch
RaceDepartment Instagram

Excited for DAKAR 18? Which class of vehicle will you try first? Let us know in the comments section below!

Last edited:
If you're racing against only 13 AI bikes or cars, then it's not good. It's like rally games with 16 cars.
Hopefully while racing it'll be filled with AI vehicles, even with fake names.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back