D-Box vs Prosimu

HugoB

Premium
Hi fellow simracers,

I’m interested if anyone has experience with both motion platforms and if you could tell the price difference is worth it? I understand Prosimu has a new actuator the ‘PRS 200’:

http://www.prosimu-shop.com/en/75-t1000.html

It has double the speed of the D-Box actuators and comes in 100/150/200 millimeters travel, which is 4/6/8 Inches equivalent. The 6 inch D-Box cost 36.000 USD for 4 if I’m correct. The Prosimu 6 inches cost 9800 USD for 4. That’s more than three times as much, is D-Box three times better?

I understand D-Box uses it’s own software for the motion and works pretty good with almost every game. Prosimu uses Simtools 2.0. Can you get the exact same feedback from the D-Box setup as from the Prosimu?

I understand D-Box actuators are magnetic and therefore completely silent and very reliable. The Prosimu PRS 200 are brushless motors, their latest product, these are much stronger, much more silent than the old SCN6 actuators. They claim that they are double the speed of the D-Box (2g vs 1g) and can lift 200kg per actuator compared to D-Box 114kg per actuator.

So whats the deal here? Double the performance for 1/3 the price? Does the PRS 200 with Simtools 2.0 perform exactly the same as the D-Box? But only a bit louder and less longevity? Does anyone have experience with Simtools 2.0 on motion, compared to D-Box software, does it have the same detailed feedback?

Thanks!

Hugo

This is an amazing development... If there is anyone close by to me that makes this kit and wants to run dbox to compare and fine tune to help the community. I would love to help. I run a dbox 4250i and my rig is available... I'm in Connecticut USA

Upvote 0
Hi fellow simracers,

I’m interested if anyone has experience with both motion platforms and if you could tell the price difference is worth it? I understand Prosimu has a new actuator the ‘PRS 200’:

http://www.prosimu-shop.com/en/75-t1000.html

It has double the speed of the D-Box actuators and comes in 100/150/200 millimeters travel, which is 4/6/8 Inches equivalent. The 6 inch D-Box cost 36.000 USD for 4 if I’m correct. The Prosimu 6 inches cost 9800 USD for 4. That’s more than three times as much, is D-Box three times better?

I understand D-Box uses it’s own software for the motion and works pretty good with almost every game. Prosimu uses Simtools 2.0. Can you get the exact same feedback from the D-Box setup as from the Prosimu?

I understand D-Box actuators are magnetic and therefore completely silent and very reliable. The Prosimu PRS 200 are brushless motors, their latest product, these are much stronger, much more silent than the old SCN6 actuators. They claim that they are double the speed of the D-Box (2g vs 1g) and can lift 200kg per actuator compared to D-Box 114kg per actuator.

So whats the deal here? Double the performance for 1/3 the price? Does the PRS 200 with Simtools 2.0 perform exactly the same as the D-Box? But only a bit louder and less longevity? Does anyone have experience with Simtools 2.0 on motion, compared to D-Box software, does it have the same detailed feedback?

Thanks!

Hugo

Hi hugo

What is "magnetic" ?

in the test of barry rowland simgarage he says that these are servo motors ?!

Upvote 0
Hi hugo

What is "magnetic" ?

in the test of barry rowland simgarage he says that these are servo motors ?!

Apparently the bigger D-Box actuators like the 6'' do use servo motors, which makes them exactly the same as the SFX100 actuators, so I don’t understand why they are soo expensive!? But the 1.5'' (4250i) use magnetic actuators, that’s why they are completely silent... Problem is they are therefore not as strong as servo motors.

Upvote 0
I have contacted this company from China .
http://pt-actuator.com/proshow.asp?strID=156

I emailed them and I had a very rapid response from them . There are some kits already sold with good reviews.

Hi

Sir

Thanks for your quick response ,too.
It's really good to hear that you are also a sim racer in this field,
and you must be know Jens from Germany, sim department,
he is one of my good friend that concentrate in this motion simulator business,too.

I'd like to work with the partner who focused on this ,and we can make great development
updatings and reputations in this forum, and let more guys come to enjoy the best performance and
training work by this simulation machine but eager to be more REAL .

My racing kit for this solution control software based on Thanos AMC controller, and his controller could be support
Simtools, cause Simtools support more than 100 genius games with motion datas.
and, what's more, the actuator which we made could output great G-force performance than dyadic or some other
manufactures did , cause we are totally servos, not brusless, or VFC, or stepper motors.

At least 3years quality warrenty, if some parts break down , send me back, we will make it repair within 3days once
received the parts. But, to tell the truth , this servo system and actuators are industrical quality standard, up to now
nobody complains something wrong with the quality, only one aspect, too much faster speed, make them jumped to the roof, quite often...lol

We use Fedex as our superior courier, rapid and great time traceability.

So , may I have you attention to cooperate with me ?
PlbgGdONmIguYrccxLtUf81OVQ9sM-0M9Ws9APvUPANpriM9Y9hy6cJiHeuGPoJAY5hkZNs-KWGn37j3uowEkmiL49FdkOtJZH00=s0-d-e1-ft

Best partner

Shao

4250$ for 4 servo actuators.

Upvote 0
I have contacted this company from China .
http://pt-actuator.com/proshow.asp?strID=156

I emailed them and I had a very rapid response from them . There are some kits already sold with good reviews.

Hi

Sir

Thanks for your quick response ,too.
It's really good to hear that you are also a sim racer in this field,
and you must be know Jens from Germany, sim department,
he is one of my good friend that concentrate in this motion simulator business,too.

I'd like to work with the partner who focused on this ,and we can make great development
updatings and reputations in this forum, and let more guys come to enjoy the best performance and
training work by this simulation machine but eager to be more REAL .

My racing kit for this solution control software based on Thanos AMC controller, and his controller could be support
Simtools, cause Simtools support more than 100 genius games with motion datas.
and, what's more, the actuator which we made could output great G-force performance than dyadic or some other
manufactures did , cause we are totally servos, not brusless, or VFC, or stepper motors.

At least 3years quality warrenty, if some parts break down , send me back, we will make it repair within 3days once
received the parts. But, to tell the truth , this servo system and actuators are industrical quality standard, up to now
nobody complains something wrong with the quality, only one aspect, too much faster speed, make them jumped to the roof, quite often...lol

We use Fedex as our superior courier, rapid and great time traceability.

So , may I have you attention to cooperate with me ?
PlbgGdONmIguYrccxLtUf81OVQ9sM-0M9Ws9APvUPANpriM9Y9hy6cJiHeuGPoJAY5hkZNs-KWGn37j3uowEkmiL49FdkOtJZH00=s0-d-e1-ft

Best partner

Shao

4250$ for 4 servo actuators.

Nice actuators. Thanks for sharing your videos. It looks like industrial grade. I am itched to try them. I saw a video somewhere claimed it can vibrate up to 50Hz. Not sure if this is true or not.
If I build another rig, I would like to use 3 of these actuators. Two on the back and one on front mounted on a ball joint so I will have true 3dof motion, but steering wheel will be fixed (not mounted on motion platform). Using VR set only.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nice actuators. Thanks for sharing your videos. It looks like industrial grade. I am itched to try them. I saw a video somewhere claimed it can vibrate up to 50Hz. Not sure if this is true or not.
If I build another rig, I would like to use 3 of these actuators. Two on the back and one on front mounted on a ball joint so I will have true 3dof motion, but steering wheel will be fixed (not mounted on motion platform). Using VR set only.
I have a 3-actuator D-box system and I think it works very well, some say it's even a bit better at certain effects than a 4-post system. I've heard good things about the PT-actuator system too, and the price is certainly far lower than D-box - especially, considering that it offers far more travel than the standard D-box system does.

I'm not sure why you would need a "ball-joint" as the 3-post system already has natural pivot-functions. Any of these systems should come with a semi-spherical foot and walking or creeping is not usually an issue unless the system is over-driven.

Upvote 0
I have a 3-actuator D-box system and I think it works very well, some say it's even a bit better at certain effects than a 4-post system. I've heard good things about the PT-actuator system too, and the price is certainly far lower than D-box - especially, considering that it offers far more travel than the standard D-box system does.

I'm not sure why you would need a "ball-joint" as the 3-post system already has natural pivot-functions. Any of these systems should come with a semi-spherical foot and walking or creeping is not usually an issue unless the system is over-driven.
PT new Surge and TL

PT 6 DOF motion system

Upvote 0
@wajdi
I saw one of his video testing vibration capability without load, showing up to 50Hz, but I could not find that video anymore:

Do you know what is it actually capable under loaded, up to 10Hz?

@RaceNut
I think I agree that no need a mounted ball joint in this case. For 3x, I am afraid that the front one would be with relatively large angular movement since it is 6-inch actuator. I estimated the range would be +/- 12 degree. My current 2x setup I did put ball rod ends on both. But this is 2x, I found much more detail and precise than free standing. For 3x, with enough weight I think maybe ok. Plus these actuators are designed for push not for both push and pull I think.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
PT-actuator's 6" of travel should be enough to satisfy any Rally fanatic's thirst for jump-action although, the Super-trucks in AMS would be a blast too. I'd love to try one of these systems. One of the issues often raised with having this much travel is slower transition speeds (greater distance) but, I wonder how effective the tactile effects are.

Upvote 0
PT-actuator's 6" of travel should be enough to satisfy any Rally fanatic's thirst for jump-action although, the Super-trucks in AMS would be a blast too. I'd love to try one of these systems. One of the issues often raised with having this much travel is slower transition speeds (greater distance) but, I wonder how effective the tactile effects are.
You don’t have to use all that travel . With SimTools you can have less travel but faster movement in tuning center.

Upvote 0
You don’t have to use all that travel . With SimTools you can have less travel but faster movement in tuning center.
Understood but, it's one reason why the 6" D-box system is better suited for Flight-sim's than it is for racing; it can still work for racing but, it's not a good investment for racing-use alone (D-box 6"). Of course, in the case of the PT-system, the cost is much less.

Upvote 0
I have a 3-actuator D-box system and I think it works very well, some say it's even a bit better at certain effects than a 4-post system.

I think so especially for high speed cornering that can do combination of roll/pitch/heave movements. Do you have a video for your 3x motion demo at high speed cornering? Or would you mind making one?
Thanks

Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.7%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.1%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 350 28.2%