custom pedals

Hi There , i am starting with simracing again.
I bought a secondhand fanatec csw v1 wheel just to get started and ordered alu profiles to build a rig.
In the time i am gathering all the stuff that i need (seat ,pc , monitors etc.) i started to build my own pedal set

I want a solid set of pedals , hydraulic and with a realistic clutch feel.
I'm still working on it , now working on the electronics and ordered different springs for the throttle and clutch.

some pics:

master cilinder and slave

alu stock

Looks lovely man, great to see yo used the bearing mounted master cylinder!! looks so nice, one question if posible, what sensor are you using for throttle and clutch? i see you attach it directly to the shaft and using bearings, are you using a prisoner bolt to make a rotating shaft?¿ thanks in advance and good work!!

The shaft has a D-shape on the end , the sensor is a car tps , the shaft rotates in bearings , the center piece of the pedalarm has setscrews to hold the shaft and is also the travelstop..
But this is all still proto so might change a little overtime , first need to complete this and i am now waiting on the carbon to arrive..

still looking for a good loadcell (for loadcell brake pedal) and maybe a damper for the throttle , if anyone nows a damper that only dampened the motion on the way back for the last bit , bit like a kitchendrawer(i dont like the pedal bounce when heel toeing) or maybe a verry soft rubber bush..

here are pics of the shaft/sensor idea:

Upvote 0
I am sure you have looked at all this and done all your resurch. I am currently planning on making a Handbrake and sequential stick shifter combo. So have been looking at mounting the sensors. I remembered your previous posts on them. However I came across these on the the Allegro website
AN27701-Fig-47.png
fig48.gif

This head on linear motion showing a linear signal opposed to the curved signal on the rotation approach that you are doing. Whats your thoughts and reasoning!
Unbelievable work you are doing.

Upvote 0
I am sure you have looked at all this and done all your resurch. I am currently planning on making a Handbrake and sequential stick shifter combo. So have been looking at mounting the sensors. I remembered your previous posts on them. However I came across these on the the Allegro website
View attachment 168395 View attachment 168396
This head on linear motion showing a linear signal opposed to the curved signal on the rotation approach that you are doing. Whats your thoughts and reasoning!

Thanks , main reason is they are bolt-on and ready available , i use hall sensor now but have to fabricate housing etc for it..
The tps is a throttle position sensor used in real cars , they work great , if it breaks the enduser can replace it easy..
I have not looked at the output and resolution yet , but i know someone who uses them fine...

Upvote 0
:laugh: 5m x 5m I wish..... Noo! my mistake it is 5m²
Amongst the garden tools I have table saw made from an old desk and hand circular saw that I have to pull out on the deck to do any cutting!

Upvote 0
View attachment 168395 View attachment 168396

The problem i see with this configuration is that you need both magnets to close or open the gap at the same time over a static sensor, dont know how to achieve this on a pedal configuration. The response on that case is not linear either but the graph its zoomed on the linear part of it, you can see a little S, magnetic field response as a sin or cosine wave, in that case it seems to be as the tangent function.

The rotation type, you could achive similar linearity results but you have to use the ideal part of the curve and restrict the movement to 30 deegrees moreless, with two atracting magnets rotating around the sensor you should get a sine or cosine wave response like this:

fig4.gif

If you zoom and restrinct the sensor to work between (using blue line) 75º and 105º you´ll get the linear response you want.

This is anothe approach I would like to implement to pedals, but the problem is to get such an magnet, is a ring magnet with 4 pole pairs, 8 poles, a pole every 45 deegrees, perfect for pedals and it could be easily attaced to a rotating axis.

AN27701-Fig-24.ashx

Upvote 0
well you need to do some machining to the shaft at least but yes its a cleaner solution, the problem is not everybody have the tools or possibility to do some machining. ive seen tps sensors for cheap on aliexpress, the thing is to get the correct female connector for them, does in comes with that included?¿

there are hall effect pots too but are expensive compared to chinese tps

http://www.newark.com/bi-technologi...position-sensor-hall-effect-single/dp/85R4167

http://www.mouser.es/ProductDetail/...nics/6127V1A45L5/?qs=6gM/zov0KphFHa2V6IDizg==

from your design i see you put the shatf between the left cap and the sensor on the rigth, i guess there are spacers than are not in the render between the pedals and the bearings to prevent side movement, right?¿

Upvote 0
i have the connectors too , one of the main reasons i want to use these is a clean solution with nice wiring.
connector is a bosch 3 pin style

Spacers indeed , will cut some spacers to size and the last bit of play will be removed by a shim , sealed bearings imo much better then a brass bush that i see on a lot of pedals.

Upvote 0
Dont know if this helps
I did this princepal on my G27 pedals not quite head on but it worked.
Hall Sensor.JPG the red disk connected to the shaft and lever.
This was my first attempt on the mod, just one magnet.
Hall sensor position.jpg
But in the end I added a second magnet, also connected to the arm on the top side of the sensor (scale in the drawing is completely off) used a bit of plastic in a "C" shape at the end of the arm.

Upvote 0
on page 2 you can see i already worked with the magnets / hall sensor type , it works fine thanks to 3ller but not what i want for a production series...
Yes that looks great. I was looking at your awesome work but for me to make something similar was getting over complicated. thats when I came across that data sheet showing the linear headon approach. By no means am I trying tell you how to do things, you are the pro.
For my project I have to keep it stupidly simple!

Upvote 0
Well that goes back to what I have in the DIY box starting off with the Leo Bodnar cable and some Hall effect sensors and some compression springs. Get the parts together and then just wire up the sensors to the cable, the G27 pedals wiring is very simple and would be easy to make the Bodnar cable think it is connected to G27 setup. However if I can make it work with a caple of switches I have for the shifter that would be a way to go. The first real electronics project was this dashI made
index.php
All the dev work and software was done by "Whatever" over at his "Simhub" thread in the Assetto Corsa forum. I think I had better shut up and stop flooding your thread here?

Upvote 0

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back