General Custom driver models and problems converting to .kn5?

So I've been trying to convert an .fbx of a custom driver model to .kn5, but with no luck, even with every (supposed) method that I have tried so far. The lack of custom drivers (that can be used as examples) that people have made means that there is not really a clear or illustrated way to do this (unlike cars and tracks,) so I'm not quite sure exactly what to do. The problems I've had with each method are:

KS editor: crashes every time I try to load in the .fbx. The textures are not particularly large (2048x2048), so I'm not sure what's causing the crashes.

3DSimED: I can't see the .fbx file when trying to import a model (in the file explorer)

A kn5 exporter that I found for blender: Add-on does not work due to 'Blender 2.8x required.' I have run this on both Blender 2.8.0 and 2.9, but the error is still there.

At this point I'm not quite sure what else to do - I just can't find a working way to convert it to a .kn5 file. I appreciate any help or advice.

There's no known way to do it from Blender, all the official ones were done from 3ds max, and in general any skinned meshes (animated with bones) are from max.

So I've been trying to convert an .fbx of a custom driver model to .kn5, but with no luck, even with every (supposed) method that I have tried so far. The lack of custom drivers (that can be used as examples) that people have made means that there is not really a clear or illustrated way to do this (unlike cars and tracks,) so I'm not quite sure exactly what to do. The problems I've had with each method are:

KS editor: crashes every time I try to load in the .fbx. The textures are not particularly large (2048x2048), so I'm not sure what's causing the crashes.

3DSimED: I can't see the .fbx file when trying to import a model (in the file explorer)

A kn5 exporter that I found for blender: Add-on does not work due to 'Blender 2.8x required.' I have run this on both Blender 2.8.0 and 2.9, but the error is still there.

At this point I'm not quite sure what else to do - I just can't find a working way to convert it to a .kn5 file. I appreciate any help or advice.
Sorry for the bump of an old thread, but I found that CM will convert any kn5 in the showroom mode if it's in a car folder. Enable developer apps and go from there.

For KSEditor crashing for some reason switching to KSEditorAT seemed to work best for me. Not sure why.

I'm not too sure about Blender though sorry. It sees all my FBX files, but just make sure they're Binary. Not ASCII or Binart 6.0

At some point Blender became able to export drivers, maybe 2.92 but definitely 3.2 can. I can get more into detail if it's necessary but the main point is to use the exact bone names from Kunos drivers for the spine & arms up to the wrist (doesn't need fingers/legs). I've always used the kseditor that comes with the game, if it's at all in question stick to the base ascii letter/numbers and underscores for everything. filenames, texture names, materials, objects. And stay well under 60k vertices/triangles per object.

I haven't uploaded any demo drivers cause I'm not an expert at modeling people but if at some point I find a good excuse I might. Zero interest here in converting models.

Last edited:
At some point Blender became able to export drivers, maybe 2.92 but definitely 3.2 can. I can get more into detail if it's necessary but the main point is to use the exact bone names from Kunos drivers for the spine & arms up to the wrist (doesn't need fingers/legs). I've always used the kseditor that comes with the game, if it's at all in question stick to the base ascii letter/numbers and underscores for everything. filenames, texture names, materials, objects. And stay well under 60k vertices/triangles per object.

I haven't uploaded any demo drivers cause I'm not an expert at modeling people but if at some point I find a good excuse I might. Zero interest here in converting models.
I figured it was mapping the bones to the mesh. Always was unsure how to go about it such as Weight painting and such.

I'm good at modelling people and was trying to figure this out myself.

I have transform a car with content manager in kn5

I modified this kinscar in 3dsmax and photoshop

how to integrate this change (fbx) in content manager?

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 103 7.9%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 134 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 186 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 365 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 508 39.0%