PC1 Current Project Cars build hits only 23fps at 720p on Wii U

Project_Cars_13650196846704.jpg

Slightly Mad Studios' long-awaited Project Cars might not actually see the light of day on Wii U after all.

The news arrives directly from SMS boss Ian Bell on the official PCars forums. The current build of the game runs at 23 frames per second at a resolution of 720p, apparently, which doesn't sound too good.

Bell states that the studio is currently "awaiting/hoping for more of a hardware announcement at E3" from Nintendo, possibly the rumored Project NX, which might be a home console.

So, at this point, it's not clear if PCars will release on Wii U or not, despite the promises made to the user base during the crowdfunding campaign. It looks like the studio will either wait for new Nintendo hardware or go for a graphics downgrade in order to run on Wii U.

"I suppose if they don't announce something at E3 or soon after we will have a go at [cutting back the looks of the game]", wrote Bell.

What do you think of this situation? Sound off in the comments!

Last edited by a moderator:
lol you two :)

I am not surprised at this news, I have played games on the Wii U and they are terribly behind with technology and performance. I do feel sorry for the people who helped crowd fund it, but at the same time if anyone of them are on here, my advise to you would be invest in the 4, One or PC and enjoy!! As you'd only be disheartened seeing one of these devices playing it if the Wii U project cars was released.

not surprised, WiiU isn't super powerful and pcars is very demanding, let's see what happens

but I think they should downgrade and release on promised WiiU, rather then go with new console ( they could perhaps release on both, first WiiU and later on "HD" upgrade on new console)

The fact is there was very few actual Wii U users on WMD.

We also knew from the get-go that the Wii U version would have to be significantly different. For starters, the SETA tire model would be impossible on the Wii U. This was known right from the start (apparently the tire model uses up two whole CPU cores on PS4 and Xbone!).

The graphics would also have to be significantly reduced and the dynamic time of day and weather were always known to be really difficult to get working on the Wii U.

Still.. even if these are removed I think pCars would be worth it for Wii U owners. It'd still be the only simulator on the Nintendo platform.

Wii U is simply not for race games. Nintendo has always been about family games, they should focus on their goal public, not the few Wii U owners that want to play race games. I never understood why one ever would want to race on a Nintendo, unless it's called "Mario Kart".

No great loss if it's not released as other have said driving Sims have never been a big thing for Nintendo. I've never been a Nintendo fan, liked a few games but If SMS do release the game on WiiU I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo use Mario in the adverts....worst mascot ever.....fat Italian plumber.

I personally own a WiiU and I for one am gutted I am missing out on it. The Wii U is an awesome console. Games like Pikmin 3, Bayonetta 2, Zelda: Wind Waker and Mario Kart cannot be played anywhere else. It is the perfect companion to a gaming PC.

Also, Nintendo is not "family" oriented. It is "gameplay" oriented.

I own a Wii U, and I think it deserves more attention as it is really a very good console and has quite a few amazing and underrated games (such as ZombiU which I think way better in its genre than many other games like Resident Evil 6). Many people are actively doing Mario Kart 8. I know hardcore sim racers don't care about it, but I think Wii U is a platform that hasn't been invaded by loads of s****y "AAA" arcade racing games that we've seen on other platforms in the past few years. I even think it's the best arcade racer published recently.

I preordered PCars on PC because I appreciate their attention to Wii U. Although personally I feel the game mediocre and less polished than I wished, I don't feel my money wasted at all because my money may support their Wii U department. However if their claimed support for Wii U turns out to be discarded, I will be really upset.

Wii U is simply not for race games. Nintendo has always been about family games, they should focus on their goal public, not the few Wii U owners that want to play race games. I never understood why one ever would want to race on a Nintendo, unless it's called "Mario Kart".
on the other hand, there might be somewhat 100 milion WiiU consoles , and if there is NO proper racing game, this could be a huge market gap waiting to be found

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 88 12.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 63 9.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 72 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 44 6.3%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 98 14.0%