CTD with MTRoad America 2012

I'm trying to use the 2012 version of Road America and there happens to be a strange bug that makes the game crash when I exit the results screen and I can't figure out why. Does anyone know why a track would cause a CTD even after the race ends? Any help would be appreciated

I just tried a race with 49 opponents on this track ( the track max ) and no problem at the end of the race.

The only times ( 3 or 4 in a few years ) that a similar case to yours happened .... it was with very heavy mods or tracks ( as Road America 2012 seems to be ) and there were 2 reasons why it happened:
- I forgot to use my usual process manager ( Bill2's one )
- I wished to look at the replay too quickly .... and it looks like there was a kind of overload as maybe files were still saving.

Test a race with original GTR2 cars and max 10 AI and see if it still happens, then with 20 etc ... until it crashes again.....
If it doesn't crash with less AIs .... the problem lies in your PC or your GTR2 install ..
If it still crashes with 10 AIs ..... try first to delete the track and reinstall it.

IIRC this kind of crash doesn't show anything in the trace file.
It looks more like an overload of graphic resources needed than anything else: too heavy track with too many cars or modded cars with too big number of polygons.
In this case also, nothing appears in the trace file.

I'm nearly sure that simply lower the graphic options might solve this problem.
The moment of the crash is mostly corresponding with the one when saving the replay.
I cannot remember if there's a possibility in GTR2 not to record replays ???

Another huge memory hog is "Pit Crew Detail", I suggest setting it to "Player Only". Lastly, Crew Chief GTR2 Enhancements Plugin contains memory usage fixes. Up to 40% memory use reduction. Just one caveat, it needs fairly modern GPU to work fully. But even partial, GPU independent fix cuts out ~300-500Mb during the race.

BTW I've just tested the track on 3 separate installs - v1.0, v1.1 and HQ patch, and there's a CTD every time, no matter if it is practice with 1 car only or race with 30+ cars, no matter of graphic and pit crew detail, no matter if replays are on or off.
The trace file shows nothing.
There's definitely something wrong with that track, I've seen often this kind of problems (ctd when leaving the track) with the first GTR game, but rarely with GTR2.
EDIT: SiGi at eSport-racing notes the same ctd problem on the track download page, looks like it is an old and well known bug.

Last edited:

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back