CSW base died having to use my G27

Leemstradamus

Mid pack attack!
Ok, I'm a little down about my CSW BASE DYING today. I shipped it off per their instructions and it looks like I won't have it back for close to a month!

Now the really depressing thing is after you use the rims from fanatec the g27 feels, sounds, and looks like a toy!

This is going to be a long month.

-sigh-

although I don't own a CSW but only a G25 I can perfectly imagine how this sucks BIGtime, Saleem. If I would have been in your position I would have gone berserk on that broken CSW-base. Doesn't Fanatec realise that they are shooting in their own foot by having all these mechanical breakdowns with their wheels?!

same story , different guy...

Upvote 0
-sigh-

although I don't own a CSW but only a G25 I can perfectly imagine how this sucks BIGtime, Saleem. If I would have been in your position I would have gone berserk on that broken CSW-base. Doesn't Fanatec realise that they are shooting in their own foot by having all these mechanical breakdowns with their wheels?!

same story , different guy...
Yah, they asked me to take down the video that I had on YouTube, like thats really hiding the issue. The motor failure story is already out there and scaring a lot of people away from their products. They really need to solve this issue once and for all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yah, they asked me to take down the video that I had on YouTube.like that if really hiding the issue. The motor failure story is already out there and scaring a lot of people away from their products. They really need to drive this issue one and for good.

yup instead of covering it up by asking to remove your vid
start working on a revised version and put that one in the spotlights!
I read everywhere that the CSW is an awesome piece of simracingkit when it's working and although there are lots of people with good working fanatecequipment there are too many stories about failing fanatecgear :(

Upvote 0
I read everywhere that the CSW is an awesome piece of simracingkit when it's working and although there are lots of people with good working fanatecequipment there are too many stories about failing fanatecgear :(
Yeah I can back that up it is amazing kit! Especially for the price. It's a Damn good bridge between the g27 and the frex, ecci and Leo bondar wheels. I chose it over the t500 because of the little amount of modding I would had to do to get it feeling superb.

That being said the motor issues is unacceptable. Then know the motors are the big issue and have yet to address this. I'm not going to say I wouldn't recommend their kit but I would have to tell people that this is an issue. My whole reason of posting this, was to keep the community informed so they have a more information before making their decision.

I'm really hoping the community continues to further development off a drop in replacement solution.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
:confused: three motor issues?!
shame on them!

Upvote 0
Yeah it gives me the jitters, because I was planning on giving up my g27 for one of their products, but I dont need that kind of frustration, plus these things aint cheap!
Lucky I still have my g27 but it doesn't feel anything like the CSW kit. I can't stress enough when it's working it's amazing! Just keep doing your research. The issue's they are having whether they care to admit it or not it's losing them sales.

Upvote 0
i sometimes wonder how fanatec make any money, i have had the turbo s, gt 2, gt 3 and csr elite, every single one had to be replaced or repaired apart from the turbo s, in the case of the gt2 i had 3 replacements.

They would be better off getting their products made in germany instead of china, I would gladly pay extra for superior reliability

Upvote 0
Okay, so we know that many companies outsource manufacturing to China to save money, increase profits, etc. but, what is frustrating is that even though the evidence is clear, they continue to do so knowing that the quality is poor. I respect companies that can correct bad choices along the way. We all make mistakes and hopefully, learn from them. The question is now, will Fanatec?

I plan on upgrading to the Buhler motors in the future just for the increased performance. The increased reliability is just a bonus. Judging by all of these issues with wheels using these types of motors, it seems that the future belongs to the Servo-Motor designs as they can be made much stronger and reliable. The downside - of course - is the cost.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Okay, so we know that many companies outsource manufacturing to China to save money, increase profits, etc. but, what is frustrating is that even though the evidence is clear, they continue to do so knowing that the quality is poor. I respect companies that can correct bad choices along the way. We all make mistakes and hopefully, learn from them. The question is now, will Fanatec?
It may be more complicated then that. What we don't know is the overall failure rate. It may be so low that the cost of shifting to higher quality parts and local assembly may put them in the red. Also they could be running very small profit margins. Like all things in life, there is a trade off. Fanatec are creating the highest quality gear within a certain price range, but to keep the price near affordable they have to cut some corners it seems. I'm cool with that if they allow for easier modding of their product. Then it's a win win win everyone.

Upvote 0
It may be more complicated then that. What we don't know is the overall failure rate. It may be so low that the cost of shifting to higher quality parts and local assembly may put them in the red. Also they could be running very small profit margins. Like all things in life, there is a trade off. Fanatec are creating the highest quality gear within a certain price range, but to keep the price near affordable they have to cut some corners it seems. I'm cool with that if they allow for easier modding of their product. Then it's a win win win everyone.
You make a valid point but, then why not offer an upgrade solution to those who are willing to pay for better motors? As it is now, they will get lots of bad "word of mouth", lose sales and push more people towards the higher-end products or lower-end products where you can buy several for the price of one CSW. There are solutions being developed by independents so we know it is possible.

Upvote 0
You make a valid point but, then why not offer an upgrade solution to those who are willing to pay for better motors? As it is now, they will get lots of bad "word of mouth", lose sales and push more people towards the higher-end products or lower-end products where you can buy several for the price of one CSW. There are solutions being developed by independents so we know it is possible.
That's business my friend. We vote every time we spend our money. And you hit the nail on the head! They need to take these complaints seriously and create ways to continue to please their customers before they leave.

Upvote 0
There's crap products made in china, and then there's great products made in china. Having been manufactered in china does not necessarily mean it's a poor quality product, I don't see a lot of iPhone owners complaining about their china made iPhones falling to pieces all the time for instance.
You make a valid point, and the same can be said of products made in any country. The main issue in this case seems to be one of inconsistency in regards to the motors ability to perform under load. Ideally, there should be enough margin to allow for durability over time at full load (stall).

Upvote 0
Yes but the issue with the motors can be a result of many things. It could be cheap **** motors with high failure rate.
It could be a bad batch of motors due to the manufacturer of the motors got some bad parts themselves.
It could be a designflaw in the wheel itself from Fanatecs side, the motors themselves don't have to be the cause of the issue, only the symptom.
It could be that Fanatec is using the motors way outside of their intended area of use, aka they where not made to cope with the load they are set to do.

I'm sure there's a whole load of other things that could be the cause of the issue.
Granted, as a customer you don't care WHY your stuff breaks, you just want it fixed and to not break again. But people could do with not screaming wolf when they in fact have no actual clue as to why these problems have started.

I used to work at one of the worlds biggest computer vendors, there they made a choice to buy a huuuuge batch of capacitors from a different vendor than usual, the capacitor was on par with the one they used to use, according to the techsheets that is. Turned out that these caps where breaking right and left, and the vendor was stuck with solving these issues for years afterwards as a result. It cost them tons of money and lots of goodwill among customers, but thats how it goes.

Upvote 0

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 352 15.6%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 246 10.9%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 242 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.8%
  • < 5 years