CSP AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution tips?

Hello

AMD FidelityFX Super Resolution has been out for some time for Assetto Corsa through Custom Shaders Patch. I've seen some great reviews of it on forums, youtube and facebook groups. I love the idea of it. However I'm unable to enjoy it.

I'm using a HP Reverb G2 VR headset. I have been trying out several FSR setting and resolution combos. The initial performance boost from FSR is great but for me results in a lot of jagged edges. The end result is that I need to push Steam VR resolution scale up so much that it completely negates the FSR performance boost. I suspect that there is some setting that is maybe conflicting with the FSR but I have been unable to find it.

My Steam VR resolution scale is at 150%. Game specific resolution scale is at 50% when not using FSR (resulting in 75% overall resolution scale). I need to push that up to 100% to get similar image quality.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Just download @RasmusP his preset file and import this to your CM.
https://www.racedepartment.com/threads/mx5cup-road-atlanta-wednesday-17th-march-2021.199833/page-4
Beaware he is running flat screen so after importing his file youhave to select VR mode again.
But youcan also check the latest Youtube about CM adjustments, only not older then 1year, like this one
The combination of T6+T7 is a bit weird. Basically the first turn is still the "braking zone". You need to make sure that you're on the exit kerb of T6 when braking and turning in for T7. Don't hit that kerb too much on the inside and floor the throttle as early as possible.
I didn't drive the MX-5 around this track yet though. Only GT4 and GT3.

We couldn't get real results yet since there wasn't enough time to do test runs without discord screen sharing active, but there were some things to optimize in CSP and AC apps.

In AC, the HUD apps are rendered in the same CPU thread as the rest of the "scene" afaik.
Every single icon, letter, number in any app will take some CPU time to be created, so getting the apps down to the very essentials is needed, when you're CPU limited.

Colin has:
- sidekick: it's pretty heavy but it also combines a lot of apps, so I'm using that one too!

- race essentials: basically no additional info that's actually important, so I suggested to disable it

- map display: it's a great app but it's also kinda heavy on the CPU so I'm only using the standard trackmap, which is mostly fine to avoid incoming cars

- default leaderboard (F9): I have it disabled. I'm not using any leaderboard.. I see my own position and the realtime app shows the closest cars. This also helps to not become too frustrated and rather enjoy the battles close to you, no matter your position :)

Here's my HUD:
View attachment 455936
Left to right:
- Track Description (not really essential)
- Track map
- Realtime
- Sidekick (I switch from pressures to wear after qualy)
- Helicorsa
- ACRL Fuel (I love the time calculation!)
- Tyres (So I can spot cold or hot tyres without concentrating)

Then we cut CSP down to the "get performance" stuff instead of the "Kill my graphics card" stuff :p

Here's the CPU config I did a few weeks ago to test something. Note: Version 0.1.72 introduced some further optimizations but now you get shadows on your windscreen that are "flickering" (like it is in reality, standard AC is too clean when passing tree rows left and right of the road...).

Anyway I put my configs for 0.1.60 and 0.1.71 in a Dropbox Folder that will stay online.
Please read the "ReadMe.txt" first :)

In general, you should enable the Graphics Stats Developer app and check what part of the rendering chain has a higher value than what's normal.

My HUD value is below 1 for example. For Colin it was above 3. When at the limit, 2ms is a big number!
It's difficult to tell what's a good value though... MY CPU might take 3ms for something, while a new Ryzen 5800x might only take 2ms for the same things to render.

And of course, you should have nothing running in the background, that uses some CPU power.
I'm 24/7 logging loads, temperatures etc via OpenHardwareMonitor with a loggin interval of 5s.

That's using about 0.1% CPU.

Having hwinfo64 with the default update interval in the background would use 1-3% CPU.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 276 15.1%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 188 10.3%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 189 10.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 139 7.6%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 247 13.5%