CSL DD with podium wheel?

I've noticed a trend in the YouTube "reviews" for the CSL DD... It seems that only the McLaren or WRC rims may be shown on the CSL DD.

Now I get that it may make sense as they are in the same class of product, but litterally zero people trying it with any other steering wheels.

Anyone got experience with the Porsche 911 endurance or a similar weight wheel on the CSL DD?

I'd like to hear from anyone regarding how that feels as it's a wider diameter rim. The weight could be less of an issue than it first appears as it's mostly in the centre.

Obviously I can make some assumptions without it in hand but maybe someone has already been a maverick and defied the Fanatec Marketing edict?

I've noticed a trend in the YouTube "reviews" for the CSL DD... It seems that only the McLaren or WRC rims may be shown on the CSL DD.

Now I get that it may make sense as they are in the same class of product, but litterally zero people trying it with any other steering wheels.

Anyone got experience with the Porsche 911 endurance or a similar weight wheel on the CSL DD?

I'd like to hear from anyone regarding how that feels as it's a wider diameter rim. The weight could be less of an issue than it first appears as it's mostly in the centre.

Obviously I can make some assumptions without it in hand but maybe someone has already been a maverick and defied the Fanatec Marketing edict?
The Podium Steering Wheel Porsche 911 GT3 R works fine with the CSL DD, but I would describe the Boost Kit 180 as 'almost essential' for this combination due to the weight of the wheel.

Upvote 0
Most of the reviewers for the CSW2.5 base do not recommend heavy wheels like the BMW GT2 or the 911 GT3 R or wheels with wide diameters. Given that the torque of the CSL DD with boost kit is almost the same as the CSW’s I would think it is better to stay with lighter and smaller wheels.

Upvote 0
I have taken the plunge and will see how I go. Just can't resist the completeness of the Porsche wheel.

I think as long as the detail is there I don't need the FFB to rip my arms off. There is a 2cm difference between the McLaren and Porsche rims so it should not be night and day. The more I watch real world drivers, smoothness (of wheel input) is as big a factor as any too.

Also I am coming from a G920 so I have not been spoiled by DD1/DD2 like most reviewers. I have tuned it with a LUT and at times have had to turn down the forces. Clipping aside and acknowledging that the Logitech rim is 28cm, that says to me that peak force of 2nm was already enough. Hopefully then a larger rim with a motor rated over 3 times as strong will be more than enough.

My only reason for upgrade is to eradicate the dead spots that the Logitech has due to its design.

Without wishing to be unkind I feel like Sim Racing does attract it's fair share of unscientific 'anoraks' who can be obsessive about small details. It can be hard to get a sensible answer sometimes - I enjoy people like Chris Haye for that reason.

Anyway hopefully I can report a good experience and don't end up regretting anything! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I came across this review by RonReviewt, a small austrian channel run by Ron, who i enjoy very much for his honest and diligent style:

Fanatec CSL DD Boost Kit 180 Bundle im Test [deutsch | english CC] It seems there are english subtitles available.

From 4:40 he is talking explicitly about choosing rims for the CSL DD with and without boost kit and his conclusions are, that a 30cm diameter and a wheel like the Mclaren with Clubsport release is the absolute maximum for a DD without boost kit.

He also talks about using the BMW GT2 at 32cm and way over 2 kgs and he said the CSL DD with boost kit handles that one really well.

He recommends the boost kit in general, as according to his opinion, the finer details are not getting transferred on all but the very lightest rims.

There is another video by this guy explaining maximum torque and available dynamic range and he comes to the conclusion, that for weaker wheel bases and larger diameter rims there is simply not much dynamic range left above the more static torque that has to be applied while cornering e.g.

Anyway, i guess you will greatly enjoy the DD, congrats to your purchase!

Hope that helps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I think as long as the detail is there I don't need the FFB to rip my arms off
So much truth in that comment. I have a CSL DD with 5 nm. I love it. The smoothness, the speed, the details, the solidity feeling is quite amazing.

As far as the strength, I am already backing down my FFB settings in my SIM, after 3 weeks, as I find than it has plenty of strength.

This wheel delivers FFB in an effortless way, compare to belt driven wheel. You will get to a point quickly where you forget the wheel and the FFB and concentrate on driving.

Obviously a 20nm wheel will offer spectacular strength performance, but in day to day use, no one use the full potential. You tuber and most people concentrate on how strong, I think it is a uni dimensional approach, the important stuff is elsewhere.
I am sure you will be fine, I am jealous a little, that wheel looks spectacular.

Upvote 0
I have taken the plunge and will see how I go. Just can't resist the completeness of the Porsche wheel.

I think as long as the detail is there I don't need the FFB to rip my arms off. There is a 2cm difference between the McLaren and Porsche rims so it should not be night and day. The more I watch real world drivers, smoothness (of wheel input) is as big a factor as any too.

Also I am coming from a G920 so I have not been spoiled by DD1/DD2 like most reviewers. I have tuned it with a LUT and at times have had to turn down the forces. Clipping aside and acknowledging that the Logitech rim is 28cm, that says to me that peak force of 2nm was already enough. Hopefully then a larger rim with a motor rated over 3 times as strong will be more than enough.

My only reason for upgrade is to eradicate the dead spots that the Logitech has due to its design.

Without wishing to be unkind I feel like Sim Racing does attract it's fair share of unscientific 'anoraks' who can be obsessive about small details. It can be hard to get a sensible answer sometimes - I enjoy people like Chris Haye for that reason.

Anyway hopefully I can report a good experience and don't end up regretting anything! :)
Hey man, I've been having the same thoughts as you as I would also like to buy a Podium Wheel with the DD Pro, but haven't found enough people who did this testing.
What has your experience been until now with the Porsche Wheel and the DD? Does the FFB feel detailed enough? Can you theoretically drift with it too? A little but of insight would be awesome!

Cheers!

Upvote 0

I dont know if this counts but im using the Podium r300 wheel with clubsport universal hub . It feels fantastic. I have a boosted csl dd though. Id imagine the rim plus the hub weighs close to a porsche wheel. I could be wrong though.
20220418_143432.jpg

Upvote 0
I came across this review by RonReviewt, a small austrian channel run by Ron, who i enjoy very much for his honest and diligent style:

Fanatec CSL DD Boost Kit 180 Bundle im Test [deutsch | english CC] It seems there are english subtitles available.

From 4:40 he is talking explicitly about choosing rims for the CSL DD with and without boost kit and his conclusions are, that a 30cm diameter and a wheel like the Mclaren with Clubsport release is the absolute maximum for a DD without boost kit.

He also talks about using the BMW GT2 at 32cm and way over 2 kgs and he said the CSL DD with boost kit handles that one really well.

He recommends the boost kit in general, as according to his opinion, the finer details are not getting transferred on all but the very lightest rims.

There is another video by this guy explaining maximum torque and available dynamic range and he comes to the conclusion, that for weaker wheel bases and larger diameter rims there is simply not much dynamic range left above the more static torque that has to be applied while cornering e.g.

Anyway, i guess you will greatly enjoy the DD, congrats to your purchase!

Hope that helps.
Absolutely, fully agree.
I have a csw 2.5 which has 8-8.5 Nm and had a csl DD 5Nm for a week but sent it back (slipping QR with the McLaren rim).
I also had the csl p1 round rim and the Porsche rim for over a year on my csw.

I drive my McLaren rim with 75% max torque (simply overall strength set in the menu, FF).
With the Porsche I used 90-100%.

The csl DD with 5 Nm felt okayish with the McLaren rim but was lacking some punchiness and rawness. Although the torque should've been enough to feel fine, it felt a bit weak.
I imagine with a bigger rim (although the McLaren is 30cm, not 27 like the formula rims) like the Porsche rim, it would really be too weak to feel awesome.

Enjoyable? For sure!
Drifting? Easy, since the wheel spins very quickly!

It simply lacks some punch to give that important last bit of immersion and fun.
With the boost kit, you can slap any wheel at it that you want to. Maybe not bigger than 33cm and not above 3kg, but the Porsche rim or the podium rims should all be fine! :)

Upvote 0
Absolutely, fully agree.
I have a csw 2.5 which has 8-8.5 Nm and had a csl DD 5Nm for a week but sent it back (slipping QR with the McLaren rim).
I also had the csl p1 round rim and the Porsche rim for over a year on my csw.

I drive my McLaren rim with 75% max torque (simply overall strength set in the menu, FF).
With the Porsche I used 90-100%.

The csl DD with 5 Nm felt okayish with the McLaren rim but was lacking some punchiness and rawness. Although the torque should've been enough to feel fine, it felt a bit weak.
I imagine with a bigger rim (although the McLaren is 30cm, not 27 like the formula rims) like the Porsche rim, it would really be too weak to feel awesome.

Enjoyable? For sure!
Drifting? Easy, since the wheel spins very quickly!

It simply lacks some punch to give that important last bit of immersion and fun.
With the boost kit, you can slap any wheel at it that you want to. Maybe not bigger than 33cm and not above 3kg, but the Porsche rim or the podium rims should all be fine! :)
Lol, did not remember that quite fitting post in this context i made some months ago :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.1%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 114 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 155 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 293 27.5%