CSL DD weird vibration/ffb problem - is it normal for DDs?

Hi, i've received my CSL DD (8NM boost kit version) few days back and my very first initial reactions were very good, but the more i test it the worse feeling i get and since this is my first ever direct drive wheel, i am not sure if there is problem in me, in settings, in the wheel or somewhere else.

Essentialy what is my problem is that it feels like there is very little force feedback, but instead lot of vibrations. It feels like i am using some cheap toy instead of expensive simracing gear. Like vibrating PS4 gamepad and not DD wheel.
It is very difficult to describe especially when english is not my first language but people said DD wheels supposed to have very smooth, constant FFB, but for me it feels like weird vibrations. Especially in corners it is anything but smooth. It is feeling like the ffb goes on and off all the time very quickly during cornering so i suppose feeling similar to vibrations / oscillations. It is very difficult to drive like that.

I have newest firmware, i tried it with formula v 2,5, wrc rim and mclaren gt3 v2 rim. I tried it with both the plastic quick release and also with the newer metal quick release. I play mostly AC, but i also tried ACC and F1. I tried fanatec reccomended settings for each sim, i tried to change few things myself, but so far i havent manage to make the wheel feel good.
I should note, that i am using the wheel with the desk clamp on desk and not on dedicated rig - BUT - my desk is extremely firm and strong and i dont thing its the cause of the problems. On the other hand i've heard that if you have very strong and firm desk, it can be even slightly better for DD wheel then some of the rigs because some of them can have more flex than the desk and it worsens the ffb.

Is it normal? Is the vibrating feeling in corners supposed to be there and is that the thing that makes the DD wheels better than normal wheels?
What settings should i try to tweak do you think to make the force feedback feel a bit stronger/better and at the same time the vibrations smaller/lesser?

Also there is interesting topic on fanatec forums, where lot of people have problems and some of them kind off feel similar to mine (but its hard to tell because its is difficult to describe something like that especially in other language)
https://forum.fanatec.com/discussion/23688/csl-dd-feels-scratchy

Thanks to anyone who take their time to read my post and perhaps try to help me. Thank you

Last edited:
It looks like i will still try to RMA it because it seems like some faulty unit with perhaps heat issue. I was testing it lot more lately and is behaving very strangely after 20-30 minutes of racing. It even started making crazy sounds and vibrations even when i was in the menu and not on the track. Few people had similar issues and they said after fanatec send them new base, the problems were gone.

It looks like i will still try to RMA it because it seems like some faulty unit with perhaps heat issue. I was testing it lot more lately and is behaving very strangely after 20-30 minutes of racing. It even started making crazy sounds and vibrations even when i was in the menu and not on the track. Few people had similar issues and they said after fanatec send them new base, the problems were gone.
Mine didn't have any issues, it just wasn't as strong, particularly on the higher feedback vehicles. I probably wouldn't have even noticed if I hadn't been driving the CSW V2.5 for two years. Hopefully the RMA fixes it for you.

Last edited:
Just a quick question - is it possible that this formula wheel has internal vibration motors, I've seen this option in the Fanatec configurator... Maybe it's just the motors rumbling lol :)

Just a quick question - is it possible that this formula wheel has internal vibration motors, I've seen this option in the Fanatec configurator... Maybe it's just the motors rumbling lol :)
no its not the formula wheel vibrations, it happens with all the wheels/rims and it is completely different thing from the soft vibrations provided by the formula rim itself.

UPDATE: i created RMA and fanatec told me to sent the base back to them, they even sent me prepaid postage so its currently on the way to germany and i will hopefully hear from them soon what comes next.
Hey, I was having this exact experience. Turns out I had not REMOVED OLD DRIVERS AND LUTS FOR MY PREVIOUS WHEEL. (Logitech G923)

I just did a clean install of windows and got my mind blown by how awesome this wheel feels.
Now I understand how impressive Direct Drive is. I have the 5nm psu and don’t even see myself buying the boost anytime soon. (Also, I dont think my desk would be able to handle that much force anyways)

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 76 7.2%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 113 10.7%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 155 14.6%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 292 27.6%
  • 100% offline racing