Critique my lap(s)! AC - MX5 Cup @ Nurburgring

2 laps (second is cleaner than the first, as I recall):
^ Warning: no editing whatsoever performed - watch at your own risk! :D

TC/ABS (as long as all other aids) were off; setup was default (other than tire pressures)

Track conditions were whatever the defaults are for an AC practice session (which I think is optimum/100% grip @ noon).

Track map for common reference:
WbcsXE0.png

EXCUSES: :whistling:
I've actually spent a fair amount of time in AC (going all the way back to early access days), but I've really not lapped very consistently in it for quite a while. On a whim, I dropped into a US club race the other day and we ran this car/track combo, so I just happen to be kind of "in the groove" (or as close as I get to it) here.

I actually did a lap that was a tenth or two faster than the ones captured here, but I felt these 2 laps were much more controlled and representative of my driving style.

I would not be posting this if I couldn't take it, so fire away! Where am I losing time? Noticing any car behaviors that scream "setup adjustment needed"? Think I should have to "blow" (i.e. breathalyzer) before racing again? :D

Well, promising results after the first session trying to incorporate everyone's advice - 2:19.8 (which is like .8 to .9 seconds faster - good progress!)

WbcsXE0.png

This time, ABS was on (TC was still off). Tire pressures were adjusted to get more uniform temps.

Some of you may cringe at this as you may feel I'm not ready, but I also went a click softer on the front ARB based on the mid-corner behavior I was observing.

I really can't believe how little steering I actually needed to use vs what I was regularly dialing in! :confused: I went back and reviewed my original laps and really zeroed in on the corners where I really cranked on the wheel and, not surprisingly, I saw a precipitous speed drop off when I would do that ridiculous 180+ business. I suspect I was habitually going into corners overspeed and then had conditioned myself to use too much steering to bleed off a few extra MPH of speed to help me make the apex - not efficient!

Really exhilarating to see the laptime improvement - thank you all! Fire away, gents - I'm looking for more! :thumbsup:

(edit: adding track map for convenience)
Tire pressure seemed a bit too high. Try -1 on each tire, you should get the best tire pressure (should be 26). Try to be more consistent. Choose your braking points and respect them. Going wide is not something that should happen so often. If you still go wide, eventually you have to brake earlier, so adjust them.
Also, i don't like the line you use for t2. It might be the different fov that makes me think that, but it looks like you go too much to the right before the turn, missing the apex and the exit is slower.

Tire pressure seemed a bit too high. Try -1 on each tire, you should get the best tire pressure (should be 26). Try to be more consistent. Choose your braking points and respect them. Going wide is not something that should happen so often. If you still go wide, eventually you have to brake earlier, so adjust them.
Also, i don't like the line you use for t2. It might be the different fov that makes me think that, but it looks like you go too much to the right before the turn, missing the apex and the exit is slower.
Sounds reasonable, I agree with all that! :)
One thing to mention: you'll never be able to keep the perfect pressure all the time. So you have to adjust kind of a "range". If your tyres have the tendency to be too cold and/or the track is no high speed track: go with "optimum and less" pressure. You'll have more rolling resistance but the tyre will stay warmer.
If the tyres have a tendency to overheat and/or it's a high speed track (monza I look at you): go with "optimum and more" pressure.

There is kind of an endless discussion if really low pressure is better since the tyres will stay nearer the optimum temperature or if the pressure is more important.
Aris from Kunos goes for pressure in his tutorial videos so I would recommend that too :)

Choose your braking points and respect them. Going wide is not something that should happen so often. If you still go wide, eventually you have to brake earlier, so adjust them.

Great advice, I adhere to this now, I used to (stupidly) ignore those distance boards on the tracks, now I memorize each point, whether it's a distance board or some other point on the track that I need to start braking, now it's smooth in and smooth out.

Reactions: BhZ
T1 is done too wide & late(wrong radius) in my opinion, I suppose it should be obvious looking with an overhead camera. A lot of time can be gained there. Between the starting line & T1 it curve inward.

T2 the radius is about correct, but not hitting the apex. I little time loss, but not major.

T3 you stabbed the accelerator before the apex point & understeered, while you could be on the rumble strip for T4. A lot of time can be gained there

T8 If you look at the straight between T7 & T8, it's not actually a straight & it curve outward. You kind of took the corner outward by going wide.

T11 you understeered after the apex, screwing the radius

T16 you turn a bit late screwing the radius a bit.

T1 is done too wide & late(wrong radius) in my opinion, I suppose it should be obvious looking with an overhead camera. A lot of time can be gained there. Between the starting line & T1 it curve inward.

T2 the radius is about correct, but not hitting the apex. I little time loss, but not major.

T3 you stabbed the accelerator before the apex point & understeered, while you could be on the rumble strip for T4. A lot of time can be gained there

T8 If you look at the straight between T7 & T8, it's not actually a straight & it curve outward. You kind of took the corner outward by going wide.

T11 you understeered after the apex, screwing the radius

T16 you turn a bit late screwing the radius a bit.

Good stuff, but can you re-state what you are saying about T7/T8? Not quite following.

I had to open photoshop to illustrate.
MojoDaJ.jpg

The line is not exactly like that, but the racing line is about taking the shortest route.
Actually it's not about the shortest route, it's about the fastest exit. Since you won't have to brake for a while, it's a good idea to stay a bit wider, close the line later and get the best exit possible.

As I was taught, the racing line isn't about speed OR distance - it's about time. That gets a little tricky to conceptualize in some corners... :confused:

I had a good lap going last night that was, based on my splits, gonna be maybe like a 2:19.4...out of fuel just short of T16! :(

Gonna try again tonight and see if I can replicate - will post video for additional feedback.

As I was taught, the racing line isn't about speed OR distance - it's about time. That gets a little tricky to conceptualize in some corners... :confused:

I had a good lap going last night that was, based on my splits, gonna be maybe like a 2:19.4...out of fuel just short of T16! :(

Gonna try again tonight and see if I can replicate - will post video for additional feedback.
Yes, but time changes based on speed and distance. It's the relation between speed and distance that defines the laptime. Sometimes you have to find the best compromise between the two to get the best out of it. In that turn (you can see real life laps as well) it's better to stay wide and close later. Since you won't brake at the Schumacher S, you will carry more speed for quite some time and will gain more.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back