Crew Chief causes Application error (0xc0000005)

So i wanted to try out Crew Chief for GTR since people keep saying that it's something one should try, But as of this moment it simply completely makes the game unplayable.

The moment i put in the location of where the .exe is located it get
image_2023-03-31_022652772.png

this error. No matter what i do it continues to happen.

I got other installs that are fine but they are not using this plugin at all so i am 100% certain that it's related to CC and nothing else. But i am more than happy to be proven wrong.

I did an full re-install of GTR on steam as that is what is required for CC to work and it loads up just fine without it. I can run an hour long race without 0 issues etc etc.

But the moment i go into CC and set the path below, It corrupts the .exe causing
image_2023-03-31_022912855.png

The error to appear. Idk what i am doing wrong, Is the properties i am putting in wrong? or what?

Edit 1: Seems to be .dll related. Deleting the .dll that gets provided by CC stops the error from showing up. And replacing it with the one provided by Steam makes the game launch fine etc.

Last edited:
Do you meet the minimum requirement for running CC plugin ?
- windows 7/8.1 64bits or newer (XP/VISTA/8.0 32bits will not work)
- you MUST have Steam GTR2.EXE or the digital exe version from Anniversary Patch (if you apply NOCD over your steam install then it will not work because nocd is not supported)
- 4Gb patch over your Steam GTR2.EXE is highly recommended (if you have Anniversary Patch installed then 4Gb patch is already applied)

Do you meet the minimum requirement for running CC plugin ?
- windows 7/8.1 64bits or newer (XP/VISTA/8.0 32bits will not work)
- you MUST have Steam GTR2.EXE or the digital exe version from Anniversary Patch (if you apply NOCD over your steam install then it will not work because nocd is not supported)
- 4Gb patch over your Steam GTR2.EXE is highly recommended (if you have Anniversary Patch installed then 4Gb patch is already applied)
- Windows 10 64 bit etc etc
- Steam version of GTR2 un touched (still causes the same issue)
- with 4gb patch (still same issue)
- No anniversary stuff on this one as i wanted to try an VLN mod

Enabling CC on my PnG version causes the same issue
Enabling CC on my Anniversary version causes the same issue

So i'm kinda just stuck on what to do tbh.

If I'm not wrong, there already was some problem before with that d3d9.dll ( also used by CC ).
At the time ... XD had a problem as this dll is also used by MSI Afterburner.

Once MSI Afterburner unactivated .... XD was working.
Should you have it running ? or another tool using this same dll ?

If I'm not wrong, there already was some problem before with that d3d9.dll ( also used by CC ).
At the time ... XD had a problem as this dll is also used by MSI Afterburner.

Once MSI Afterburner unactivated .... XD was working.
Should you have it running ? or another tool using this same dll ?
Only thing i have running is discord & steam. Maybe my steelseries program is interfering but it would not make any sense of it to be using that d3d9.dll file.

Only other thing i can think off is Nvidia's overlay thing for GeForce Experience but again idk why that would even effect that specific file.

Yeah, I have gone trough it multiple times otherwise i'd not make this post here.
If i run in trough steam i get this error
image_2023-04-01_035238735.png

I'll say it once again, This is a brand new install of GTR2. I have not touched it there are no compatibility settings enabled, There is no run this program as admin enabled.

This is just frustrating. Don't think i'll even bother with this thing, It's clearly not working properly :thumbsdown:

The manual says to run the Steam version but from outside of steam. So copy your steam version and create an install outside of steam directory
"Note #3: Do not run GTR2 out of Steam install folder, that causes all kinds of problems" from the manual

The manual says to run the Steam version but from outside of steam. So copy your steam version and create an install outside of steam directory
"Note #3: Do not run GTR2 out of Steam install folder, that causes all kinds of problems" from the manual
Oh, I have completely misinterpreted that then. welp

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 315 15.4%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 216 10.6%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 213 10.4%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 157 7.7%
  • < 5 years