Creating popular race combinations

• Thread starter Deleted member 387850
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 387850

• Deleted member 387850

I started to reply to a discussion on one of the club races about why some races don't seem to be attracting as many drivers recently, and then thought perhaps it would be a useful discussion in it's own thread. Personally whether I enter a race largely comes down to the car/track combination. For example I have to admit that I tend to enter every GT3 race I can and haven't much interest in open-wheelers. That's testament to how good the R3E GT3 class is, and my cockpit/wheel setup feels much more immersive with these cars than an open wheeler. I also tend to enter races on classic tracks that I know well like Nurburgring, Spa, Imola, Monza, Donington etc. as it's hard to find the time during the week to learn tracks that are new to me. That said, variety is important and I applaud the efforts to bring new and interesting events to the calendar!

I've noticed the AC club seem to be getting good grids at the moment. GT3 at Brands tonight has a full grid on the first server and now have enough reserves that they'll be running a second server. I race in both AC and R3E so if a race clashes I pick the one with the car/track I like the most. There are, however, a few things I think the AC club do really well. I really like the consistent weekly races like the Mazda MX-5 Cup. This allows me to get used to a car, develop a good base setup and enjoy it at a variety of tracks. I get to see myself improve relative to other drivers, whereas if cars change every week I don't get to build on what I've learnt. Something else that seems to attract a lot of interest is to run events that coincide with real life races. For example there were recently races that coincided with Daytona 24hr and 12hrs of Bathurst. I know that's easier in AC because of track mods, but it would be great to see future R3E races that tie in with real life events in WEC, IMSA, Blancpain, DTM, F1 etc.

I haven't been around here long enough to know if this has been discussed before, and if it has and theres a very good reason not to do it then I apologise for mentioning it, but has there ever been any thought of having a voting system to allow the community to decide a race a week? For example, the week before a vote could be opened that has a few car classes and tracks and the most popular combination could be used for the Sunday race.

I'm not making these suggestions because I think there is anything wrong with how things are currently organised. Only a few weeks ago we were getting full grids and a decent number of reserves! I also think some drivers (myself included) are entering less club races at the moment to focus on practicing for RDTCC. I genuinely wish to offer some constructive suggestions to help encourage the grids to be consistently full. I love the forum, I love the club and I really appreciate the hard work all the staff put in :thumbsup:

I haven't been around here long enough to know if this has been discussed before,
It has indeed, many times, but that's no reason to prevent a discussion for those who are newer to the club..
but it would be great to see future R3E races that tie in with real life events in WEC, IMSA, Blancpain, DTM, F1 etc.
If you look back over previous years you will see that that is the case and when the season kicks off you'll see that happening.
I also tend to enter races on classic tracks that I know well like Nurburgring, Spa, Imola, Monza, Donington
We have so many great tracks in R3E , many not so well known and that given the chance often prove to give great races in the club.
The same goes for car classes, R3E is unique with it's BOP'd MP racing, and it seems a shame not to get as many as possible out of the garage.
I'm sure Ross or Steve will be along to more fully answer but thought I'd chip in.:D

• Deleted member 387850

Thanks for taking the time to reply Kenny! Totally agree with everything you’ve said and I know you guys have a wealth of experience with what works and what doesn’t.

I hope I don’t come across as negative or critical as that is in no way my intention and I just want to reiterate what a great job I think is being done to run this club! I also know from personal experience that running these things can be a thankless task at times and you’re never going to please everyone!

One final thought on the track selection is that doing the league has helped me to learn two new circuits I’d never turned a wheel on - Portimao and Slovakiaring. Slovakiaring has turned out to be a personal favourite, and I really enjoy Portimao even though I seem to struggle there! If the league had chosen to go with the same old tracks that I know and love for all the rounds I’d have missed these two gems!

I hope I don’t come across as negative or critical as that is in no way my intention
Never thought that for a minute:), I'm sure thare are plenty of others who wonder the same thing and that staff are here to help.
One final thought on the track selection is that doing the league has helped me to learn two new circuits I’d never turned a wheel on - Portimao and Slovakiaring. Slovakiaring has turned out to be a personal favourite, and I really enjoy Portimao even though I seem to struggle there! If the league had chosen to go with the same old tracks that I know and love for all the rounds I’d have missed these two gems!
My point proved methinks:D
I think discovering a circuit or a car and really enjoying the experience is a large part of the fun in racing games., which is why I think AMS with it's little known tracks proved a hit.

I agree with what you all have said. From my point, I like WTCC type cars and other Touring cars and so on. Formula open wheels I hate with a passion and stay away. I raced here at RD for many years and had wonderful time laughing and joking with everybody on the grid and getting setup help. I left to play Battlefield 4 and flight sims. On my return I have noticed how cold RD has become, no laughing, general chatting and nobody will give a setup. I think RD's race mix at the moment is good and the staff has it correct. I must also agree with suspectmonkey who has some very good points.The only gripe I have is every time I enter a Raceroom event I have to shell out for a track and car. Racedepartment staff are doing an excellent job, maybe the competitors need to loosen up a bit, have fun and then you will see the servers full again.:thumbsdown:

I think discovering a circuit or a car and really enjoying the experience is a large part of the fun in racing games., which is why I think AMS with it's little known tracks proved a hit.
I enjoyed much discovering R3E's Swedish tracks :) and I hope Sector3 will go on that way.
Although the competition tends to lead us to focus on a the most efficiant car/track combos, I feel that discovering any types of cars and unexpected tracks put my in-game experience on another level.
Racing car of today and yesterday being full of ventures and stuff, I would welcome positively any new proposition.

Edit: Sorry, I missed the real subject and I didn't take exactly the same road... :speechless::whistling:

Last edited:
Hey guys, thanks for the input. :thumbsup: One thing I will say though is that maximum variety is the key to the way I work. I know there are certain combos that are almost guaranteed to get decent grids, but anything done too often gets boring fast. As Kenny has mentioned, R3E has a huge number of tracks as well as a huge number of BoP'd racing classes that are made to be raced together. It's probably one of the sim's greatest strengths so to ignore half the tracks/classes would be a crime!

I'm personally not a fan of having set classes on set days. I know AC does it, but the R3E club isn't big enough and doesn't run on enough days for that. Besides, we do kind of have a "class" system, with Tuesdays generally being slower, easier to drive cars, Thursdays being something a bit faster, and Sundays being a sort of "main event" since that's often where we get the biggest grids. It's a system which works well and, to be fair, the most popular classes do rotate around pretty quickly. GT3's pop up nearly every other week, for example.

I would also say that running the same combos is restrictive on driver development. Part of the reason the clubs exist is to learn, and to be a well-rounded racing driver you need to learn to be adaptable. Putting a big powerful car on a tight twisty track isn't necessarily a crap combo, it's a challenge to adapt to and overcome. The clubs aren't about becoming an expert in just one vehicle, they're about learning and perfecting racing techniques as a whole.

Mike also briefly mentioned a point that I totally agree with:
... maybe the competitors need to loosen up a bit, have fun...
So often it seems that people are misunderstanding the purpose of RD's racing clubs. They are not here for ultimate competition, super hard racing, points, prizes and prestige. That is what the leagues are for. The clubs are here for people of all abilities to get together and have fun taking part in their hobby in a friendly and social environment without any pressure. They are a place to learn driving techniques and race craft in safety, to get help with things you struggle with from people that are more experienced, and to just have a laugh with your buddies. Yes we want good, close, fair racing and that is why we have club rules, to try and make that as likely to happen as possible. But the races themselves are not meant to be taken too seriously, they are meant to be fun.

The reason I race here three times per week isn't because I love every car/track combo, because I absolutely don't! (Get on TS during any Audi TT event and listen to me whinge!!) What I do love is the R3E community, the chance to get online with a bunch of like-minded people, go racing, and have a good laugh while doing it! I'll be honest here, I don't even really like league racing. Why? Because it completely lacks the friendly, social aspect you find here in our club. So regardless of how much I whinge, the car/track combo doesn't really bother me because it's all about the community for me.

However, with all the above said, I think we're perhaps being a bit premature anyway. I've been around long enough to know that numbers always fluctuate. They often go up and down with seasons, with holidays, with national/international events, with things going on right here at RD, etc etc. It's not unusual to have a few weeks of low numbers, and then a month later be back to full grids with reserves. It's just one of those things and I for one am not worried about the health of the R3E club at this point.

In conclusion, let me just say again that our clubs are meant for friendly racing without pressure and with a focus on the social aspect. Sign up with those things in mind and a willingness to participate in the friendly banter and I guarantee that you'll enjoy the clubs a whole lot more. :)

The reason I race here three times per week isn't because I love every car/track combo, because I absolutely don't! (Get on TS during any Audi TT event and listen to me whinge!!) What I do love is the R3E community, the chance to get online with a bunch of like-minded people, go racing, and have a good laugh while doing it! I'll be honest here, I don't even really like league racing. Why? Because it completely lacks the friendly, social aspect you find here in our club. So regardless of how much I whinge, the car/track combo doesn't really bother me because it's all about the community for me.

Can only concur with Ross Garland on this one. I've dabbled in the past with leagues and the people you have joked and laughed with previously will tail tap you at turn one at the drop of a hat. :rolleyes:
I personally enjoy a bit of banter (whether I contribute or not) and rarely take things to seriously, I love the fact that whatever your pace on whatever track/car combo there will be a group at a similar pace to dance with, It's also nice to notice that after time, you're holding your own with a faster crowd, learning new lines etc. :thumbsup: or like some :whistling: saying hi to all as you slowly tack your way to the back of the field (friendly bunch back there by the way).
I think the competition should stay on the Leaderboard in the run up to an event, as it seems to presently and at the actual race you try your best without hindering a competitor and refine ones race craft BUT most of all enjoy it, life is far too short.
Who wouldn't enjoy hammering a NSU around some obscure Randy Scandi track with a bunch of racing chums, it's what racing's all about, winning is just a byproduct of doing it a lot. ;)
All hail Ross and Steve for taking time to add a bit of organisation to the chaos! :roflmao: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

• Deleted member 387850

In conclusion, let me just say again that our clubs are meant for friendly racing without pressure and with a focus on the social aspect. Sign up with those things in mind and a willingness to participate in the friendly banter and I guarantee that you'll enjoy the clubs a whole lot more. :)

That's a really good point, and one I'd definitely overlooked in my original post! I do really enjoy the social side and the banter that goes with club racing! I'd be the first to admit that I probably take club races a bit too seriously. Not that I'm not friendly or that I drive aggressively like my life depends on it, but there's a racer inside me that means I always want to be competitive (within my own abilities) in any event I enter. This means I tend to put a lot of prep into an event to learn the track, get a setup etc. Perhaps I need to loosen up, broaden my horizons and just turn up and drive more often :thumbsup:

1. falkenberg
2. any class
3. ???
4. profit :p
Love this track but the quick sand at the end of the straight just before the chicane which I literally got stuck in for one and a half laps. Maybe my ride height was a bit low but all the same, a bit deep. Only been there once within the year I've been here race department would like to see a few more races with this track. Definitely has potential for different combinations.

Love this track but the quick sand at the end of the straight just before the chicane which I literally got stuck in for one and a half laps. Maybe my ride height was a bit low but all the same, a bit deep. Only been there once within the year I've been here race department would like to see a few more races with this track. Definitely has potential for different combinations.
i remember being stuck there with someone, maybe even you :D couldnt move for some time

fear the sand

• Deleted member 387850

Seeing Blancpain kicks off this weekend at Zolder, is there any chance of getting some love for GT3 at Zolder next Sunday? :redface: Our poor brothers and sisters in the AC club are having to make do with Zandvoort so it would be a shame not to make the most of it in R3E. Just because ACC is upcoming doesn't mean we can't have some Blancpain style fun of our own ;)

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back