Crash to desktop as loading bar gets to very right hand end

After a few days of enjoyment with GTR2 it is now crashing :mad:
If i select a car (stock) and track (stock) the loading bar runs across the screen until it renders the checkered flag, then pauses and crashes back to Windows 10.
I did try the debug mode but it doesnt write a log file into the location it suggests.
Windows 10 did do an upgrade as i logged off last night - 2018-06 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1803 for x64 based systems (KB4284835). It also updated Silverlight.
I tried to uninstall the update using the uninstall option, which it did, but it then said i had to reboot. One rebooting it simply reinstalled the update (grrr) and around in circles i go...Its days like this that make you see why people use consoles !!

Could you create a shortcut on desktop to launch GTR2 ?
When it's done, modify the properties this way:
In tab Shortcut add a space and -trace=1000 ( like that: ...\GTR2.exe" -trace=1000 )
In Compatibility tab, compatibility mode Windows XP and execute as administrator.

Launch the game with this shortcut, when the CTD has happened, look in the game the "Userdata/Log" folder, you'll find a trace.txt file.
Mostly an error message shows at the last lines of this trace file ... with more details a few lines above.

It could tell more about the problem, if it is not related to Win10 update.

Last edited:
You can also run GTR2_debug_mode.bat file in 10th anniversary patch then after game session go to UserData\Log\ and open trace.txt with notepad, scroll down till the end of file and you will now which file is absent or corrupted.

Maybe you have installed an old (buggy) mod or you have installed several mods at same time which are not compatible and could cause material conflicts/CTD.

I had a similar problem to this a while ago. It only happened on certain tracks. I found when I ran the game as an administrator the problem went away. May have been due to a windows upgrade also. Try running the game as an admin, see if that helps.

Could you create a shortcut on desktop to launch GTR2 ?
When it's done, modify the properties this way:
In tab Shortcut add a space and -trace=1000" ( like that: ...\GTR2.exe" -trace=1000 )
In Compatibility tab, compatibility mode Windows XP and execute as administrator.

Launch the game with this shortcut, when the CTD has happened, look in the game the "Userdata/Log" folder, you'll find a trace.txt file.
Mostly an error message shows at the last lines of this trace file ... with more details a few lines above.

It could tell more about the problem, if it is not related to Win10 update.
Hi. I am trying to change our properties and add a space -trace = 1000 to the desktop shortcut but then I get the message that the path is invalid. What should I do?

You surely made a mistake in the operation ...
Could you make a screenshot of the properties of your shortcut ?

It can be a not nedeed space, an added letter or symbol or a wrong place for this addition.
I have the impression you wrote it in the "Start in" line in place of the "Target" one.

If you have HQ Anniversary Patch then run GTR2_DEBUG.CMD which runs GTR2 in trace mode plus, when you exit GTR2, notepad will open automatically the trace.txt file :)
Moreover you can easily make a shortcut anywhere by pointing GTR2_SETUP.CMD with right mouse button, move mouse to where you want to put shortcut then left mouse button on "create shortcut here"

Thanks Jempy, i will keep this info for next time. I got the hump and reinstalled GTR2 from scratch, adding just the 10th anniversary pack and all is working well now. :)
What Jempy said.

when i first started building tracks in BTB, it used to drive me NUTS trying to figure out what was wrong. At the time i didn't know about anything, DDs v Jpg, squared pixels, etc... and you've really got no chance at all of figuring it out. Then one day, on a forum, someone said exactly what Jempy said.

In tab Shortcut add a space and -trace=1000 ( like that: ...\GTR2.exe" -trace=1000 )

Trust me... TRACE is your friend.

Oddly though, is where it is found after you crash. Open your user folder, go to LOG and it's there, open it with notepad. The offending issue will often be the last line of text. Or singled out with ERROR Loading....

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back