Crash after one session

Hello, i have recently purchased the game from steam and i have one issue :
At first everything is fine but when i have finished a session, like a race, time trial or whatever, my game will always crash if start a race again or change series. i am running the game on Windows 10, as administrator, i tried to run the game in every windows compatibility mode but no success.
Here is what my computer spec looks like, in case it can help you :

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=QXRiZV9CcjM2TVl0Zk03aER5RHlaRDR5bEFhd3BR
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1.../AF1QipOb9RLm0bdssJR_QzIYg1qTc-0Iri1mFE-DE2Ak
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1.../AF1QipMW3BcQi2LewJj9r4_vrXF3IpHD2_YOiwj7dx8f

Thanks in advance

Hello, i have recently purchased the game from steam and i have one issue :
At first everything is fine but when i have finished a session, like a race, time trial or whatever, my game will always crash if start a race again or change series. i am running the game on Windows 10, as administrator, i tried to run the game in every windows compatibility mode but no success.
Here is what my computer spec looks like, in case it can help you :

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=QXRiZV9CcjM2TVl0Zk03aER5RHlaRDR5bEFhd3BR
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1.../AF1QipOb9RLm0bdssJR_QzIYg1qTc-0Iri1mFE-DE2Ak
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1.../AF1QipMW3BcQi2LewJj9r4_vrXF3IpHD2_YOiwj7dx8f

Thanks in advance

I have only experienced this (and very rarely) when using certain lower quality third-party mods.

Did you do a Steam file integrity check to ensure everything is stable?

Sorry for the late answer, i can confirm this is not mod related, i have done a clean re-install of the game and the issue still happens, even without any mods installed, i don't know what do to :( basically i can select a serie, do a time trial, then if i decide to change serie, or track, game will crash to desktop so i can't play 2 sessions (time trial, offline race, etc) in a row

Make sure you have removed your userdata files from the "My Documents" folder. Then load the game a make a new player.

Also you could try and reinstall the drivers from the "_CommonRedist" folder... they are Directx drivers and C++ drivers as I recall.

Its a strange problem.

Sorry for the late answer, i can confirm this is not mod related, i have done a clean re-install of the game and the issue still happens, even without any mods installed, i don't know what do to :( basically i can select a serie, do a time trial, then if i decide to change serie, or track, game will crash to desktop so i can't play 2 sessions (time trial, offline race, etc) in a row

Did you do a complete re-install? Delete (or copy somewhere if you are concerned) the entire Steam AMS folder and as @Gringo just mentioned the complete user files folder from Documents. It is 99.99% likely this is mod related and a result of left-over files that shouldn't have been used in the first place if the mod was done properly. If every single file is gone, the Steam file integrity check will replace them all with defaults and the first time you run AMS you will also have to do the video config and create a new user profile. If the last two steps did not occur, you didn't do a clean re-install.

If you did, or if you have never installed any mods, then....??? Cannot be hardware-related or drivers if you can run at least the first session normally. Are you able to exit cleanly? As in, finish your time trial and then instead of going into a new series, track, etc., just exit. Does it crash? Can you then go back into AMS and change to a new series, track, etc., and it loads? If so, sounds like a user files issue that creating a new user profile should solve.

Thanks for your answers, i think i will make another clean install after deleting every AMS files related on my computer to be sure and will check if everything else is up to date, i will keep you posted.

If you did, or if you have never installed any mods, then....??? Cannot be hardware-related or drivers if you can run at least the first session normally. Are you able to exit cleanly? As in, finish your time trial and then instead of going into a new series, track, etc., just exit. Does it crash? Can you then go back into AMS and change to a new series, track, etc., and it loads? If so, sounds like a user files issue that creating a new user profile should solve.

Im not sure about your first question. About the sessions, yes, if i run only one session i can exit cleanly the game, game will crash only if i select another track or serie or change gamemode (race, time trial, etc)

Thanks for your answers, i think i will make another clean install after deleting every AMS files related on my computer to be sure and will check if everything else is up to date, i will keep you posted.

Im not sure about your first question. About the sessions, yes, if i run only one session i can exit cleanly the game, game will crash only if i select another track or serie or change gamemode (race, time trial, etc)

If you want to just create a new user profile, it might be worth a test before deleting everything.

Okay so my game is now clean (fresh install, new profile) and was able to play 3 time trials with different series, then game crashed to desktop when selecting another serie, so a bit of improvement but issue is still there, im not sure what to do now, i made sure everything was up to date (drivers, etc)

EDIT: tried to relaunch the game after the crash and i had to create new profile once again, this is weird i guess i will create it then cleanly exit the game without playing to make sure it is saved
EDIT 2: My profile has been successfuly saved after exiting cleanly the game. I noticed the crash happens only when switching series now, so i can play the game as long as i want only if i keep the same serie

Last edited:
I have these crashes when going out on track (3 out of 4) and I tried everything described in this thread.
For me it was solved by creating a multiplayer LAN session with AI instead of single player session.
Could be worth a try at least.

Okay so my game is now clean (fresh install, new profile) and was able to play 3 time trials with different series, then game crashed to desktop when selecting another serie, so a bit of improvement but issue is still there, im not sure what to do now, i made sure everything was up to date (drivers, etc)

EDIT: tried to relaunch the game after the crash and i had to create new profile once again, this is weird i guess i will create it then cleanly exit the game without playing to make sure it is saved
EDIT 2: My profile has been successfuly saved after exiting cleanly the game. I noticed the crash happens only when switching series now, so i can play the game as long as i want only if i keep the same serie

Now that you have narrowed it down, you'll have to ask Reiza for support. They will hopefully know what exact problem is related to the series switch in a completely default installation.

I still suspect there is something happening with your profile, though. Try deleting just the user files and either get forced to create a new profile, or, create one manually. The series you are in gets recorded in the profile. It seems as though AMS thinks your .PLR file is read-only or something is corrupted for some reason when it tries to update that setting.

A really good experiment would be to have two profiles picking a different series for each. If they both run perfectly in their respective profiles, but each crash when trying to switch profiles....then there is 100% certainty about what is causing the problem. But bizarre. I have never heard of this in AMS or in 15 or so years previously with rFactor and the other dozen games based on it.

I have these crashes when going out on track (3 out of 4) and I tried everything described in this thread.
For me it was solved by creating a multiplayer LAN session with AI instead of single player session.
Could be worth a try at least.
Thanks for your answer, unfortunatly it had no effect on my side.
Now that you have narrowed it down, you'll have to ask Reiza for support. They will hopefully know what exact problem is related to the series switch in a completely default installation.

I still suspect there is something happening with your profile, though. Try deleting just the user files and either get forced to create a new profile, or, create one manually. The series you are in gets recorded in the profile. It seems as though AMS thinks your .PLR file is read-only or something is corrupted for some reason when it tries to update that setting.

A really good experiment would be to have two profiles picking a different series for each. If they both run perfectly in their respective profiles, but each crash when trying to switch profiles....then there is 100% certainty about what is causing the problem. But bizarre. I have never heard of this in AMS or in 15 or so years previously with rFactor and the other dozen games based on it.

Yeah looks like it has something to do with the profile but not sure how and why as i have tested with a new one.. I guess you are right i will have to ask directly to Reiza. It is not game breaking in any case, as i don't have any issue when in a race but still not convenient not being able to switch series in the menu !

Thanks for your help guys, i will post here if Reiza got something that can help for this issue.

EDIT: i just found someone with the exact same problem on reiza forum :
https://forum.reizastudios.com/threads/another-crash-thread-sorry.5629/
But no fixes yet :C

I wonder if this is a windows file/folder permissions issue... or maybe an anti virus issue.

Try to add AMS to your AV white list or perhaps disable AV for a test session.

Im not sure how to change permissions, i mean i know how to, but when i do it and check the file folder again, it goes back to read-only.

I disabled my anti virus for the test and didnt change anything so we know now that is it not related to this.

when i do it and check the file folder again, it goes back to read-only.
That's not right... something going wrong here for sure.

Your user data files are going into My Documents is that true?

Some weird windows user login issue maybe?

I hope you get it sorted, the issue must be on your end... other that the few who have mentioned in this thread I have not heard of this problem.

Cheers.

Last edited:
That's not right... something going wrong here for sure.

Your user data files are going into My Documents is that true?

Some weird windows user login issue maybe?

I hope you get it sorted, the issue must be on your end... other that the few who have mentioned in this thread I have not heard of this problem over

Cheers.

Indeed someting is wrong, i've just checked and i have UserData files in both my documents and in the game folder, shouldnt there be only one either in My Documents or in the game folder ? Looks like when i start the game with as admin, it uses a profile, then if i start the game as normal, it uses another, so it may be conflicting somehow..
Should i run the game everytime as an admin or normal ?

by the way i ran the game with parameter "-trace=2" i don't know if it can help you guys but im posting the pastebin link here https://pastebin.com/076iNUp0

Looks like when i start the game with as admin, it uses a profile, then if i start the game as normal, it uses another, so it may be conflicting somehow..
Should i run the game everytime as an admin or normal ?

This is the normal behavior... run AMS as admin puts the files into the game folder... but unless you are the owner of the AMS install folder then it could be trouble.

Are your Steam games installed in Program Files? The user permissions problem was the reason Rieza moved the user files to My Documents. Most should start the game normally then all user data by default will be stored in a location with the correct file write permissions.

Try this,

Delete all the userdata folders you find in My Docs and the Automobilista install folder.
Delete all the config.ini files you see in the above locations.
Run a file integrity check via Steam.
Launch the game from the Steam menu... you should see the Config setup tool run first, setup as you like, then the game should start.

If you need to run an AMS install as Admin for some reason then the installation folder needs to be moved somewhere outside of the windows file system, and you will need to run as admin permanently.

Cheers

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 74 7.4%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 103 10.3%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 145 14.5%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 274 27.4%