Crackling audio fix inside (first post).

After all this time, here making my first post. Raced American open wheel, 125 shifter karts at Portland International blah blah. Now AC's been my thing.

Anyways, I had that nagging crackling issue with a handful of cars (high pitched), made the changes in the audio .ini ,lowered master volume etc with no luck. Even changed three different audio drivers/devices, back to square one.

Well W10 has a seperate volume controller, other then the OS volume control. Theres an area to raise/lower volume in all apps (games), not just master volume, it was at 100. Lowered in to 85, viola no more crackling, clipping high revs. (right click volume icon, open sound settings, at the bottom, look for 'other sound options', click and theres your app/game slider.

Just thought I'd share. After building maybe a hundred pc's over the years, audio issues flat out suck the most by far, wasnt any different here.

Take care.
CCC

As I said ;) (right click volume icon, open sound settings, at the bottom, look for 'other sound options', click and theres your app/game slider.

So right under 'other sound options' theres -app volume and device settings-. It doesn't look like a button, but its clickable.

Well maybe I spoke to soon. it fixed my issue for all cars, but now one vehicle, Mercedes URD T5 DTM 2018 is crackling like mad in higher revs. In replays, the pass-byes.... Did I say sound issues suck?

No expert here,, could it be due to " MAX_CHANNELS"?

In " assettocorsa/system/cfg/audio_engine.ini "

Try to change it to 512 instead of 256.

If not, then i think it could be the master sound of assetto that you have to lower. Then you can raise the engine volume etc... if it gets too low.

Cote Dazur

SIM Addict
If there isn't already an ext_config.ini file for the car, create one via "<car folder>/extension/ext_config.ini" and add the following lines to it and set the mix however you like amongst all these elements:

[AUDIO_VOLUME]
ENGINE_EXT = 1.0
ENGINE_INT = 1.0
GEAR_EXT = 1.0
GEAR_INT = 1.0
BODYWORK = 0.1
WIND = 1.0
DIRT = 1.0
DOWN_SHIFT = 1.0
UP_SHIFT = 1.0
HORN = 1.0
GEAR_GRIND = 1.0
BACKFIRE_EXT = 1.0
BACKFIRE_INT = 1.0
TRACTION_CONTROL_EXT = 1.0
TRACTION_CONTROL_INT = 1.0
TRANSMISSION = 1.0
LIMITER = 0.1
TURBO = 1.0
RAIN_EXT=1.0
RAIN_INT=0.8
WIPER_EXT=0.8
WIPER_INT=0.6

Okay so I just loaded up a YouTube video of engines revving its happening in there too… So this must be a Windows thing if I am experiencing it in multiple headphones. Now I have no idea what to do

Are we talking about videos of real cars of videos of Assetto Corsa cars?

Because crackling Audio has been a possible issue with AC from the beginning, sometimes i get it too. Also in Automobilista 2 in some cars, it's just the audio mix is clipping.

Last edited:
So after some more Googling, I did 2 things that seemed to fix it, but I'm not sure which one it was… I did change the audio_engine.INI max channels to 512 as mentioned above, and I went to my earphone properties within control panel/sound and changed the default format to 2 channel, 16 bit, 44100 Hz... One of those 2 seemed to do it.

Last edited:

How much money have you spend on your current simracing hardware

• €0-150

Votes: 84 19.4%
  • €151-500

Votes: 119 27.4%
  • €501-1000

Votes: 71 16.4%
  • €1001-1500

Votes: 38 8.8%
  • €1501-3000

Votes: 42 9.7%