Littlefysh

Professional Nutcase
I'll start from the beginning. A year or two ago I bought RF2 to give it a go. Unfortunately I'm a student so I'm restricted to a laptop at the moment, but I thought if it didn't work, I've got it ready for when I can get a proper setup. So I gave it a go and my CPU usage was horrible. Gameplay was very skippy, even when I went back to the dx9 build.

I still keep up with what's going on in RF2 and I saw somewhere a screenshot or something of the minimum and recommended specs for it. I looked at it and thought "My CPU can do that". So I've redownloaded it and tried again. I still have the same issue. Gameplay is very jumpy, but it is noticeably worse with more cars on track. Unfortunately it's unplayable even with just me on track.

The minimum specs state a 2.8 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo and the recommended is a 3.0 GHz Intel i5. I have an Intel Core i5-7300HQ which has a base clock speed of 2.5GHz but can be ramped up to 3.5GHz. My settings are such that the 3.5GHz is the limit, so my CPU is always running more than 3.0GHz. As far as I can work out, with this in mind I meet the recommended specs.

So why does my CPU usage max out at 100% almost constantly while it's running between 3.1 and 3.4GHz when I'm the only car in the session? What am I missing?

Thanks in advance.

If your question is "what am I missing?", then I think the answer is "a good enough CPU".

I'm not sure what do you find surprising here. You are using a weak mobile CPU. If it's just the supposed minimum specs, then first, I really can't imagine rF2 in its current state actually running acceptably well on a Core 2 Duo CPU, and second, I wouldn't be surprised if a Core 2 Duo performed better than some random mobile i5.

It’s your CPU.
I was not having great performance with a G4560 (2 cores 4 threads 3.5 ghz )which is a great little entry level processor.
I’ve since upgraded to an i5 8400/2060 super and really could not be happier with what I paid.

If your question is "what am I missing?", then I think the answer is "a good enough CPU".

I'm not sure what do you find surprising here. You are using a weak mobile CPU. If it's just the supposed minimum specs, then first, I really can't imagine rF2 in its current state actually running acceptably well on a Core 2 Duo CPU, and second, I wouldn't be surprised if a Core 2 Duo performed better than some random mobile i5.

It’s your CPU.
I was not having great performance with a G4560 (2 cores 4 threads 3.5 ghz )which is a great little entry level processor.
I’ve since upgraded to an i5 8400/2060 super and really could not be happier with what I paid.

Thankyou for the input. Given that the reaction is that my CPU isn't up to this, am I correct in saying that the min and recommended specs on the Steam Store Page are out of date and next to useless?

A Core 2 Duo user would have to answer that question. It wouldn't surprise me if they were way out of date, it's rF2 after all. Might be the specs were never updated since release.

But it also wouldn't surprise me if that mobile i5 of yours really was that bad. You need good single-core performance for sims, and that's not something mobile CPUs exactly excel at.

But both of those are just guesses, educated at best, so not worth much I guess.

A Core 2 Duo user would have to answer that question. It wouldn't surprise me if they were way out of date, it's rF2 after all. Might be the specs were never updated since release.

But it also wouldn't surprise me if that mobile i5 of yours really was that bad. You need good single-core performance for sims, and that's not something mobile CPUs exactly excel at.

But both of those are just guesses, educated at best, so not worth much I guess.

I'll admit my CPU struggles with some of the newer sims, but ACC runs fine if I'm the only car on track and RF2 can not even manage that, which surprised me.

If it's reasonable that the specs on the Store Page has never been updated since the dx9 release version of RF2 then I'll accept that the specs are out of date and I'm nowhere near the CPU requirement for the current required specs.

Again, thankyou for your input.

You could try running GPU-Z and see what the graphics bus interface looks like. It could be your mobile CPU is choking there and we know rF2 is abnormally sensitive to the bus bandwidth.
1574383982249.png

I'll admit my CPU struggles with some of the newer sims, but ACC runs fine if I'm the only car on track and RF2 can not even manage that, which surprised me.

If it's reasonable that the specs on the Store Page has never been updated since the dx9 release version of RF2 then I'll accept that the specs are out of date and I'm nowhere near the CPU requirement for the current required specs.

Again, thankyou for your input.
It’s the highly detailed tire physics that make rF2 cpu intensive.
To prove this press I while racing, the AI will take over and watch your cpu usage drop massively.
The tire model affects more than any form of draw call CPU overhead.

It’s the highly detailed tire physics that make rF2 cpu intensive.
To prove this press I while racing, the AI will take over and watch your cpu usage drop massively.
The tire model affects more than any form of draw call CPU overhead.

This is entirely accurate. Spectating is OK with about 20 opponents, the CPU only starts struggling at about 40. The moment I drive, no matter the number of opponents, the stutters start and the CPU maces at 100%.

I play on laptop with Intel Core i7 (6th Gen) 6700HQ / 2.6 GHz and GeForce GTX 960M.
If I limit number of AI, enable VSync and almost all gfx to low it works ok. Could be that CPU is maxed but should I be worried if it works?

I am not sure how does my CPU relate to yours though, should be similar maybe?

From what I've read/heard, running a CPU at 100% usage dramatically decreases it's lifespan. If this is true (which I'm not sure of, but I'm careful about it just in case) I'd definitely check your usage while driving in task manager.

With all this being said, I assume it's not feasible to switch out a processor on a laptop? I've never heard of it happening and I'm just asking for others opinions because if I can get this working, I want to.

With all this being said, I assume it's not feasible to switch out a processor on a laptop?

Unfortunately not as your cpu is integrated. The only possible upgrade is a I7-8565U, while it has 4 extra threads, it is overall slower than your current cpu so not a logical upgrade.

I would really funnel any money you want to spend toward building a tower.
I had a decent ATX tower while in college worked out great as at the time I couldn’t afford a gaming laptop.

From what I've read/heard, running a CPU at 100% usage dramatically decreases it's lifespan. If this is true (which I'm not sure of, but I'm careful about it just in case) I'd definitely check your usage while driving in task manager.

If the CPU is not overvoltaged and is run within its thermal spec, there is no reason why running it at 100% should reduce the lifetime to any significant degree.

I don't actually agree the mobile CPU's are that weak. It's more or less the same architecture, only running at lower frequency and some mobile i5's are only dual core. But if you have a quad core mobile i5 or i7, it should run the same speed as a desktop i5 at corresponding frequency.

I think you have received miss guided information here. RF2 should run with a certain level the best of competence at least without the stuttering you describe.
I had a lesser mobile CPU when I had an Alienware laptop with a GTX1080m, that was more than capable of running a 20grid race against the AI.
Check NVidia settings you're actually using your GTX1050 to render gaming as opposed to the CPU's own GPU.
Try Throttlestop, to lock CPU as close to 3.5ghz.
Ensure, shadows are set at low initially, and reflections set to off.

Good point. You should also check in the rF2 launcher > settings that you are using the 1050?
The 1050 is being used, I had that issue with GTR2 last year or whenever it was.

I think you have received miss guided information here. RF2 should run with a certain level the best of competence at least without the stuttering you describe.
I had a lesser mobile CPU when I had an Alienware laptop with a GTX1080m, that was more than capable of running a 20grid race against the AI.
Check NVidia settings you're actually using your GTX1050 to render gaming as opposed to the CPU's own GPU.
Try Throttlestop, to lock CPU as close to 3.5ghz.
Ensure, shadows are set at low initially, and reflections set to off.
I'll reinstall and give this a go and let you know if this works. Hardware compatibility is so complex it's horrible. ACC runs better than RF2 with a 20 car field, although the CPU still causes stuttering that isn't acceptable for proper racing of any kind.

If the CPU is not overvoltaged and is run within its thermal spec, there is no reason why running it at 100% should reduce the lifetime to any significant degree.

I don't actually agree the mobile CPU's are that weak. It's more or less the same architecture, only running at lower frequency and some mobile i5's are only dual core. But if you have a quad core mobile i5 or i7, it should run the same speed as a desktop i5 at corresponding frequency.
That's good to know, the laptop doesn't seem to be running that hot when it's at 100% although I can't comment on anything else with regards to voltage or anything. I'll still try and avoid running it at 100% because it does make me cringe a little every time I see that on task manager.

Unfortunately not as your cpu is integrated. The only possible upgrade is a I7-8565U, while it has 4 extra threads, it is overall slower than your current cpu so not a logical upgrade.

I would really funnel any money you want to spend toward building a tower.
I had a decent ATX tower while in college worked out great as at the time I couldn’t afford a gaming laptop.
I'd love to funnel money into a tower and while I think I could probably afford it, money isn't the issue. I'm 2 hours car drive through wooded countryside from home and only my Dad has a car. It's already 2 trips to get everything back home and it's (hopefully) my last year of university. I don't have the space for a tower and moving it around as I moved houses along with what I already have just isn't feasible. That being said, the moment I'm reasonably stable I'll get a proper build with a rig that isn't a camping chair, desk and laptop :roflmao:

EDIT
So I turned everything to minimum settings (I didn't realise you could turn shadows off completely, I thought "Low" was the lowest setting) and it works acceptably, but not fantastically with around 24 AI. Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 96 7.8%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 130 10.5%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 175 14.2%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 348 28.2%
  • 100% offline racing