CPU usage - stuttering AI

Hi everyone,
I've had the game/sim for about 4 months and it has always run perfect for me, but the last week the AI has started to stutter when it previously didn't, I checked the CPU and it has gone upto 100% in places, I don't understand why this has started to happen when it didnt previously, I run a AMD 4.3ghz processor, I am not too tech savvy so I am looking for advice/remedies

Thanks in advance

rF2 AI are CPU hungry, in particular on banked oval tracks. It also depends how many AI you run and what car/track combo, as I would assume some mods are not very optimized. There is no setting in the game that will reduce AI CPU usage I'm afraid, but you could try to overclock the CPU. AMD FX CPU's, which I assume you have, have poor single-core performance, so it translates to poor gaming performance in most games.

rF2 AI are CPU hungry, in particIular on banked oval tracks. It also depends how many AI you run and what car/track combo, as I would assume some mods are not very optimized. There is no setting in the game that will reduce AI CPU usage I'm afraid, but you could try to overclock the CPU. AMD FX CPU's, which I assume you have, have poor single-core performance, so it translates to poor gaming performance in most games.

I understand that and I have had no problem until a few days ago, i run high frame rates and was less than 50% CPU at all times, it seems that since the last update something has changed in my settings, I still get high frame rate but the CPU is always 75%-100% and my car phsyics are most of that,

I understand that and I have had no problem until a few days ago, i run high frame rates and was less than 50% CPU at all times, it seems that since the last update something has changed in my settings, I still get high frame rate but the CPU is always 75%-100% and my car phsyics are most of that,
Delete replays maybe? Sometimes if Harddrive is near full this happens.

Your CPU usage will considerably be reduced by lowering the "Visible Vehicles" thus allowing you to race with many more AI. As an example there is a great looking Spa track converted from AC but it's poorly optimized and runs my CPU at 100% with 30 AI but if i set my "Visible Vehicles" to "18" i can easily run a full grid with no issues!

Sometimes after a new build it's necessary to delete your old "player.json" and config.ini if experiencing issues:
1) Remove the player.json and config.ini (cut/past to desktop to keep a back-up)
2) Launch rF2 and it will create a new clean config.ini and player.json.

Another Note:
Go in your "Task Manager" to observe if there are any processes using excessive CPU usage thus reducing the available CPU power needed for rF2.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys, I have tried all that and the CPU still runs nearly full all the time when previously it was half, it all seems to be since i installed the 1988 F1 mod with the tracks and stuff, could this have caused it?

I seem to have fixed the issue
I changed default for Controller.JSON value “Use thread” from “false” to “true”.
Then I used my Radeon graphics cards settings to override the Rf2 ingame ones and now it runs at approx 50% most of the time going upto 80% absolute max, with all the settings on full or high

Overclocking needs to have excellent cooling on the CPU plus good case airflow or it will affect the lifespan of not only your CPU but all components. Monitor those temps!

Good to hear you discovered your problem before any component failure.

Last edited:
Overclocking needs to have excellent cooling on the CPU plus good case airflow or it will affect the lifespan of not only your CPU but all components. Monitor those temps!

Good to hear you discovered your problem before any component failure.
Thanks, the CPU was overclocked slightly when I got it, so it must have spent a year getting too hot, now I have another problem though lol.
Now I have a 1-2 second freeze every so often, i don't understand why it is happening, the CPU is running at 50% the GPU is having no problems either?

That's what I thought, but I turned off everything else, disconnected from my network, turned off anti-virus software, all notifications etc were blocked and it still happens
So confusing as the game worked perfected until about 2 weeks ago

Get rid of all overclocking and overclocking-related monitoring software for CPU and GPU. Also, make sure you use only a WHQL graphics driver, not necessarily the latest one available. I am 99.9% sure everything will be back to smooth sailing if you do the aforementioned. You need to be tech savvy to overclock without causing more problems than you cure and even then it is rarely worth it. Just save up for newer/better equipment and replace as you can. In the meantime, live within the performance of your current equipment.

Latest News

Are you buying car setups?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
Back