CPU temps and Graphics

I posted a cpu temp thread over on the official forum and got some good replies. I thought I would post here because you can never get enough information. So since version 1 was released, you know how excited I was but......... That excitement is now tinged with a little concern about my cpu temp in game. When the game is running and I have 22 or more AI then my cpu is running close to 90° raceroom runs at 52 max. I've got the fan turned up to 100%. I have I7 6700k, acer predator 34p and 1080ti. I've turned the graphics down to high apart from temporal which is on epic. A lot of people say I need better cooling while others say it's ok to run that high. I don't want to spend money when it's only 1 sim as all the others run lower. I just need reassuring lol.

Taking a side panel off might often make paradoxically make the situation worse or improve it less than one might expect because at least with reasonably designed cooling, there's an air flow through the case that helps to move the warm air out of the case faster, and by removing the side panel, that air flow gets disturbed. Same with randomly adding fans in the system - it might seem like the more fans the better, but it's a bit more complicated than that.

Taking a side panel off might often make paradoxically make the situation worse or improve it less than one might expect because at least with reasonably designed cooling, there's an air flow through the case that helps to move the warm air out of the case faster, and by removing the side panel, that air flow gets disturbed. Same with randomly adding fans in the system - it might seem like the more fans the better, but it's a bit more complicated than that.
Exactly.
Which is why it is very useful to check the airflow by taking the side panel off.

I for example thought my case would be well working. Two intake fans at the bottom front, HDD cage removed so 75% of the two fans aren't covered by anything.
Rear fan at the very top, removed the holed-metal and put in a way less blocking cover.
Big fat CPU cooler, sucking in towards the front, through the cooling block and straight to the rear fan.
PSU has its separate loop, bottom into the PSU, directly out to the rear from inside the PSU.

But it's bad. Like really bad...
Taking off the side panel reduces CPU temps by 15° and GPU by almost 20°c...

Multiple reasons:
1. intake holes are too small. Air only gets in at the bottom 1/3 through slits at the side of the front cover. Opening the front cover reduces temps by 5°c

2. side panel has a sound reduction pad that has the classic pyramid design. It's totally bad for airflow. Better and more modern cases have flat pads. I don't need diffused highs anyway so a thicker, flat one would dampen better anyway

3. the rear is only 120mm. It's simply too small to get rid of the hot air

4. motherboard/slots/rear panel, whatever you call it. The back of the case basically has no holes at all apart from the fan-hole. Better cases either have slits at the top rear or some holes next to the GPU slots etc. so at least some air can go out at the rear

If it's the same result as I got some months ago .... you might easily get a gain of +- 30° CPU temperatures.
That's the result of replacing the original cooler of a I5 4670k by a BeQuiet Pure Rock.

This cooler replacement is surely the best thing you could do. ;)
I followed the advices of @Martin Fiala and @RasmusP .... and I don't regret it of course. :thumbsup:
NB: although I'm already thinking of upgrading the PC next year ( surely keeping this cooler if it still can be used for the next new CPU ) ...

My goodness! I took the side panel off ready for tomorrow night and wow, now on epic frame limit 75, it's down from 78 to 85 to 64-70
Time to send us some pictures mate I guess.
It might be due to the front and rear fan not doing enough, while at the same time the Intel stock cooler is a top blower and the side panel fan.. That might either push air into the case, helping the stock cooler or might be pushing hot air out of the case, destroying not only the air flow front to back but also working against the Intel stock cooler.

Time to send us some pictures mate I guess.
It might be due to the front and rear fan not doing enough, while at the same time the Intel stock cooler is a top blower and the side panel fan.. That might either push air into the case, helping the stock cooler or might be pushing hot air out of the case, destroying not only the air flow front to back but also working against the Intel stock cooler.
What are you thinking? Even with a new cooler, I'm still going to have problems? Omg

What are you thinking? Even with a new cooler, I'm still going to have problems? Omg
No, but it might still be far from "optimum".
I love my surface pro 3 since I can easily upload a custom drawing that doesn't completely look like mouse-drawing crap thanks to the pen.

Here's the airflow. Now and then.
You see that with the new cooler, the airflow will become way better. Straight from the front to the back instead of 90° angled.
The fan in the side panel though... Can't tell if it will give the CPU more fresh air or if it interrupts the airflow more than it does good.
Depending on how much is in the way of the flow, hard drives, too small air intake opening at the front and depending whether or not all your fans are blowing into the right direction (like on my drawings), the temperatures will be better or worse with the side panel attached.

That's why we need pictures... To check if the fans are all blowing into the correct directions etc.

As I said: my case has too small intake openings and too small rear openings. Also the side panel has a pyramid shaped dampening pad which highly interrupts the flow.

You said your front and rear fan aren't really lowering the temps at all. That shouldn't be like hat...
Also if your sidepanel fan is blowing air out of the case, it's working against the CPU fan!

upload_2019-6-4_19-43-48.png

My response would be "hell no". Even if you aren't optimal, like Rasmus says, you will be way more than good enough, and that's all that matters unless you want to be a crazy overclocker ;)
Keeping the side on will almost always raise the internal temps, but it is tidier and reduces dust ingress and noise. All you really need to care about is whether the temps are in a healthy zone, and since they are almost healthy with one of the crappest coolers you can find, I have little doubt about your future :D

The fans are all pointing into the correct direction :)

How were the side panel fans connected? Where they working?
Also could you check if the front fan is working and maybe upload us a picture where we can see the case from the front? :)
Yes side panels are working they are just plugged into some other power plugs type thingys. I might get him to take the panel fans off because they just blow in and don't seem to do anything.

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 139 13.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 103 10.0%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 96 9.3%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 73 7.1%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 142 13.8%