CPU Occupancy 95%

To run the game in mid-high settings he doesn't need that processor and amount of RAM, what i mean is that it's useless to buy such discrepant PC parts...
No, this is not true. I've been following PC hardware for 16 years now and read many articles regarding this issue.
Modern GPU's are limited by the data supplied from the CPU most of the time. AC seems to benefit greatly from increased clock speed, what Phil's i7 offers him - I tested that by overclocking my own cpu and comparing fps and video stutter.
Phil has also made a conscious decision buying what he could afford and in my opinion he invested in the right places. A gpu can be easily upgraded, however the upgrade compatibility with modern mainboards and cpu's is limited, so he got that right as well.

Last edited:
Hello everyone.
What is the cpu warning that is being referred? Where I can find it?
Still and in my opinion, AC is requiring a intense and insane CPU usage, dont know if is a bug or something, I know it does not make sense and nothing in game explain such demand.
Also the bug with insane size of the log file after a couple minutes of gameplay is pretty annoying.

I used to get a 95% CPU occupancy warning if i had more than 10-12 cars on the grid in Single Player race mode,It would appear at the top of the screen.I believe kunos are working on the graphics engine,to make it less CPU intensive by v1.0.
As it's early access bug's and glitches are part and parcel of the development,And the Dev team at AC are very very helpful as are the Guy's here at RaceDepartment.

Thanks for reply, now I am just wondering why I have never seen this warning.

I am running a i7 @ 4.5 ghz water cooled at a stable 60 fps with Aniso 16x, AA 8x, World detail max, Shadow high, Smoke high, PP disabled, Mirror high, Cubemap high and Faces per frame set to none.
Playing Practice (without AI) after a couple laps I have my 4 CPU cores working at 100% or close of it and I never had the 95% warning. That's odd.
While all this my GPU (GTX 780) does not exceed 60% usage.

As already have been said AC is demanding an abnormal CPU effort (even without AI) and there is nothing in game that justify such demand, therefore must be a bug and/or lack of optimization and I am hoping it can be fixed/optimized with upcoming patches

About log size issue, I solved it setting the file to read-only.

Also (and a bit off topic) I would gladly join to AC forums to report these (and other) issues, however I do not feel comfortable (or secure) with the fact that I need to share my Steam password with a external webpage. I my opinion, AC should have a different (secure) way to validate and authorize the access to their webpage/forum.

Thanks for reading.

Your 4,5 Ghz of i7 prowess are very potent and you indeed should not get the (now infamous) 95% warning. Remember that this message does not necessary correlate with the actual CPU demand on your system. 100% cpu load is only achieved by stress test programs like prime95. More info on that in the FAQ.

is any one else having this problem... tried evrything??

I find it greatly depends on the car / track / Skin. Some modded stuff is not as optimized as the factory installed. Some modded stuff is terrible. I now pay attention to the size of skins and other items. You will see some skins are crazy large where others are just a few mb's. Visually their is no difference, but the game can tell. I have dumped all the poorly optimized skins and mods and that definitely helped.

When I get 95%, my frame rates never rise or fall below 60fps, but things slow down a bit, but the driving stays smooth. I drove a 30 lapper with 23 cars at Imola with the 95% up the entire 55 minutes and it drove just fine. My G19 kb shows my memory and processor usage on its display and it does appear I am no where near 95%. The game uses all 4 of my cores, but not equally. Sometimes if not for the message I would never know. I found setting my max frame rates to 0 stopped the up and down fps as now it just locks in at 60 at all times and never glitches. If I put too much load on the system, I can feel things move a touch slower, but it stays smooth. I normally run 12-14 ai offline. Online I have never had an issue. Was on at Nords yesterday with 19 others with no issues at all.

My rig is was built in 2010, so it is not great by today]s standards, but it was quite good then. AC is the only game I have ever experienced performance issues. I prefer to run higher settings and less cars myself, but that is me. I believe this will get better with every update. .22 update made everything dramatically better, especially my G27 and the force feedback. I really hope by the time AC gets to final release, these issues will be in the rear view mirror.

Video and photo processing will push my system to 100% across all cores. An updated system will be in the cards soon as I do a lot of raw photography and go pro videos. AC appears to be power hungry at the moment.

Pedro I think you finally made a valid comment here..
This thread is no different than this thread http://www.racedepartment.com/threads/ac-stuttering-reduction.88597/unread
out of curiosity does anyone use one of those new 6 cores 5820k haswell-e cores with assetto corsa? I don't want to repeat a whole thread again but my 3770k at 4.6 ghz reaches 100% usage all the time on all 4 cores which causes bad game experience for me and stuttering. I wonder if the 6 core makes a difference in reduction of game stuttering.

I've been getting this problem recently if I run more than 14 cars. People seem to be running with higher numbers with less powerful PCs so cant understand why Im getting the problem. PC spec below. May just have to wait till they optimise it properly......

CASE: Coolermaster Cosmos//PSU: Corsair AX1200i
CPU: i7 3930k & H100i//MOBO: AsrockX79Fatality Champion//MEM: 32GB 2400mhz Kingston Beast
GPU: Nvidia Inno3D GTX 780 iChill X3 Ultra 6144MB// DEDICATED PHYSX: Nvidia MSI GTX 650Ti BOOST 2GB
SSD: 2x256GB Samsung840pro RAID0//OS:Win7Pro X64//GamingHDD: 1TB WD Black
ANCILLARIES: 3xBenQXL2720T 120hz Monitors// Nvidia 3D Vision II// Logitech G700 Mouse//G13 Pad//WHEEL: Fanatec CS V2 Pedals, CS Base w/BMW & Formula Rim// 3D MARK 11 FIRE STRIKE: (stock clocks) 9404

Last edited:
Apparently a solution for this is to turn off smoke in the settings when running large grids. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but I've seen post from people that have and it seems positive.

Anyone having CPU problems give it a try and let us know.

So really everyone gets this. I usually play with nothing running in the back ground and still get it. I have a AMD 8320 4.0GHz so if I am running "95%" then it really is the game. There is no possible way. I've run 20+ games on max settings about 65% of my core.

If you're experiencing 95% CPU Occupancy

*TURN OFF SMOKE*

I couldn't run 10 cars in a grid, now I can run 24 with no problems at all.

mod-edit: please keep the forum tidy, you don't need to post your pc specs on every post you make

Last edited by a moderator:
This issue put me off playing AC. Yes it only happened if I increased grid above 10 AI but only having 10 - 15 AI made races way too small for my liking.
It is much improved in the release candidate, while the warning pops up every now & again, game is playable.
I have an AMD 955 BE, not o/c'd. my mobo is AM3+ & I have a 2Gb GTX 760.
I know that intel CPUs seem to run AC better, but I can't really afford new mobo + cpu.
Is anyone who has a fx 8350 now able to run ac without the cpu occupancy issue on the release candidate?
I ask as that's the top cpu I can run in my mobo, saw it also has some issues with the early access, but as my quad core 955 seems better optimised, would like to know if the FX 8350 also is before I go & get one

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 347 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 241 10.8%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 239 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.4%