CPU/GPU specs for simracing ?

Hi,

After I have been simracing on xbox console for the last couple of years, I am now looking at moving to pc.
But since I haven’t looked at PC’s for gaming for the past 10 years, I am a bit lost on what CPU/GPU I need, so your input are appreciated.

Games I believe I’ll use: iRacing, rFactor2, Project Cars 2

I am planning to run on a 4K TV / 60hz to begin with and soon move to VR, where I believe it would be either Valve Index or HP Reverb (@ 90hz)

CPU options:
i5-10600k - Would this be sufficient or should I go for
i7-9600k or
i7-10600k

GPU options:
RTX 2060 - Based on what I’ve read I don’t think it’ll suffice, so it will probably be:
RTX 2070s - Good enough ? or
RTX 2080s

Of course I could just go for the best options, but I don’t want to spend money I don’t need on the PC that could instead go into the VR headset. ;)

All inputs are greatly appreciated.

A budget would be a good start for anyone to recommend from. As that ould make a big difference to what you prioritize your spending on.
As a rough guide, given the need for 4k or VR, pretty much ALL CPUs are going to be GPU bottlenecked. You could save a lot of money going for something like an AMD 3600 or 3300X and still be GPU limited at 4k on a 2060 or 2070.
With the money saved vs say a 10600k and Z490 board, you could get a 2080S and still be spending less.

The i5-10600k will be great for gaming. You won't need anything more than that. For the GPU, the smart choice is to wait until September, Nvidia and AMD will be releasing new faster graphic cards, so you'll get a lot more for your money. You can expect the replacement for the RTX 2080, the 3080 to be at least as fast as the current flagship 2080Ti.

There's a Reverb G2 HP have developed in conjunction with Valve about to arrive, they released a teaser video a couple of months back plus the odd leaked photo more recently, and it seems likely to be officially announced later this week.

Well don't get a 3300x like suggested ! But 3600 or 10600k would be good and a 2070s isn't really enough for 4k 60 in pC2/AMS2 (i wouldn't touch pC2 though but definitely get AMS 2) unless you sacrifice details .
Check out Gamers Nexus for the latest CPU benchmarks for really in depth unbiased information ;) And i'd do as suggested and wait and see whats coming in a few months on the GPU front as even the super pricey 2080Ti isn't that much faster than the 2070s but just so expensive and the rumor is, price to performance should be so much more consumer friendly than Turing .

AMD Fanboy here, i'm using a Ryzen 7 3700X and a 5700 XT Red Devil, Pretty happy. Only thing i don't like currently are the amd drivers - they are buggy as hell. I'm running ACC on High Settings with 24" Triple-screen ~60 FPS, but never tried AMS2 & PC2.
I was considering AMD because the Price-Performance was better on the AMD parts then NVIDIA & Intel.

Fo
Games I believe I’ll use: iRacing, rFactor2, Project Cars 2

I am planning to run on a 4K TV / 60hz to begin with and soon move to VR, where I believe it would be either Valve Index or HP Reverb (@ 90hz)

Clock speed of CPU is more important than which model. Of the sims you list, rF2 probably benefits the most from CPU.

Single screen 4k @ 60 Hz requires the following GPUs. If you plan on adding ACC to the mix, then start at the 120-125% level. Others can better advise you on VR requirements as I've no direct experience, but it does seem to require more GPU than 4k single screen yet less than triple screen.

1590420519687.png

[Chart comes from https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1080.c2839]

a 2070s isn't really enough for 4k 60 in pC2/AMS2 (i wouldn't touch pC2 though but definitely get AMS 2) unless you sacrifice details .
Really? If my GTX 1080 can handle PCARS2/AMS2 at 4k 60 Hz, I'd expect any of the 2070 varieties to do so. Just choose lower AA to gain some fps if needed (because 4k doesn't need full AA).

Really? If my GTX 1080 can handle PCARS2/AMS2 at 4k 60 Hz, I'd expect any of the 2070 varieties to do so. Just choose lower AA to gain some fps if needed (because 4k doesn't need full AA).
You didn't read my post did you? I did say without sacrificing detail! So what if the 4k TV he wants to play on is 55" or bigger? Does he still not need AA? Would you use AA on a 27" 1080p screen? They have the same PPI so would both suffer pretty well the same from aliasing!
My 1080Ti didn't do 4k 60 without sacrificing detail in certain weather/night driving so I'm not sure how well a 1080 would do! And a 2070s and 1080ti are pretty similar.

Fo

Clock speed of CPU is more important than which model. Of the sims you list, rF2 probably benefits the most from CPU.

Single screen 4k @ 60 Hz requires the following GPUs. If you plan on adding ACC to the mix, then start at the 120-125% level. Others can better advise you on VR requirements as I've no direct experience, but it does seem to require more GPU than 4k single screen yet less than triple screen.

View attachment 376248

[Chart comes from https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/geforce-gtx-1080.c2839]
I had to lower quite a few settings and run at 85% res scale in ACC to achieve a constant 60 fps at 4k with my 1080ti! I wouldn't be taking this posters info with to much certainty. Maybe he is happy to run low settings and have dips below 60 fps and the stutters that come with it but I can't handle those stutters and like my details up high ish ;)

You didn't read my post did you? I did say without sacrificing detail! So what if the 4k TV he wants to play on is 55" or bigger? Does he still not need AA? Would you use AA on a 27" 1080p screen? They have the same PPI so would both suffer pretty well the same from aliasing!
LOL, there are 4 levels of AA. It's not all or nothing, plenty to choose from if tradeoffs are needed. Raceroom, for instance, benefits from more AA; PCARS2, in my experience, does not. A 55" or larger TV will sit at least 5" further back from the player than a 27" placed as close as possible, thus has a bit more leeway for AA. You probably have excellent vision, but I've got a bit of astigmatism.

LOL, there are 4 levels of AA. It's not all or nothing, plenty to choose from if tradeoffs are needed. Raceroom, for instance, benefits from more AA; PCARS2, in my experience, does not. A 55" or larger TV will sit at least 5" further back from the player than a 27" placed as close as possible, thus has a bit more leeway for AA. You probably have excellent vision, but I've got a bit of astigmatism.
3 things there, pC2 has about the worst aliasing of any Sim! And I had my 55" TV butted up against my wheel base, so had it just as close as I now have my 27" triples (57cms).
I have great vision, better than 20/20 but still even if I put my eye drops in I can still see aliasing, lol even at MSAA High in pC2 and even at 4k on a 40" 4k monitor ;)

Latest News

Online or Offline racing?

• 100% online racing

Votes: 105 8.0%
  • 75% online 25% offline

Votes: 135 10.2%
  • 50% online 50% offline

Votes: 189 14.3%
  • 25% online 75% offline

Votes: 370 28.1%
  • 100% offline racing

Votes: 514 39.0%