CPU/GPU Overheat Problem

Yusuf Macit

Lost but Won
Hi everyone,

I need a little help with my computer's overheating problem.

2 days ago it was all working fine, but yesterday when i wanted to do some practising in Assetto Corsa my PC shut itself down. Before i did not even get out of pits.

Then i wanted to monitor the temperature of my hardware to see if it was really about the temperature, which later i found it was.

I tried running a couple of other games and results were approximately like this; (Degrees are in Celcius)

GTA 5 CPU Temp: 40-50 GPU: Shut Down at 76.
Skyrim Special Edition: CPU: 45-50 GPU: Stuck at 70-71 Won't go higher like rest of the games. I can play this one without any shut down problems but I still think its quite high and stressing out my graphics card unit.

Now whilst two of these games force my computer to shut down because of (I assume) my graphics card. Assetto reaches at a degree of 86c with CPU and at that point computer shuts down.

I have no idea what happened, I haven't installed any new software.

Here is my hardware:
FX-6300
GTX 650 1GB
8GB of RAM

I know this is not the best computer, parts are a little outdated, but I was able to play any of these games without any problems until yesterday.

Here is a list of things I tried:
Updating Drivers
Cleaning up the heat sink and fan of the CPU.

Things I haven't tried yet:
Re applying thermal paste
Re-lubrication of fans.
Cleaning the Graphics card.

I don't have machine oil to lubricate the fans nor the thermal paste to put on cpu/gpu. I have ordered some thermal paste since the one on cpu seems almost removed I thought that could be the problem. But until the paste arrives, do you guys have any alternative solution to this?

Thanks.

Shutting down at 76 C sounds like a problem not related to tempatures imo. 76 is high, yes, but I searched about 650 a bit now, and people say it can work up to 105 C. Most say below 80 should not be a problem at all. Maybe it is something related to your PSU?

I think you may be right. When you say that, i figured it was not about my graphics card. I tried lubricating and cleaning my exhaust fan and tried to run Assetto Corsa for about full 45 minutes. CPU did not go above 65-70 and GPU was around 70-75 celcius again. Problem seems to be solved for now. Sorry for the wrong diagnosis. :)

Latest News

How long have you been simracing

• < 1 year

Votes: 348 15.5%
  • < 2 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 3 years

Votes: 241 10.7%
  • < 4 years

Votes: 177 7.9%
  • < 5 years

Votes: 299 13.3%